PDA

View Full Version : Split duty calculations

OPSMAD
17th May 2010, 09:52
Hello all,

I need some clarification on the Split duty rule.

CAR OPS 1 subpart Q states the following for the rule on split duties

"When an FDP consists of two or more sectors/duties, of which one can be a positioning journey counted as a sector, but separated by less than a minimum rest period, then the FDP may be extended beyond that permitted by the amounts indicated below".

My question is can you have more than one break within a duty period and therefore calculate the split duty more than once i.e flight, break, flight, break, flight would mean you could in effect extend the FDP twice?

Its a little unclear and I wondered if any of you have had experience of this. I believe they base their rules on CAP371 so what do the Uk operators do?

Many thanks

merlinxx
17th May 2010, 12:45
Get Angry from Purley to answer, he seems to be yer crewing guru:ok:

Mr Angry from Purley
17th May 2010, 17:47
Merlin why thankyou fame at last :ok:

OPSMAD

I would read "period" as one such, as if your duty below was allowed then it would/may read periods.

In the UK to my knowledge it's always been applied with just one break inbetween.

:\

merlinxx
18th May 2010, 10:49
A split duty is as stated, "A Duty Period which is split with a rest period" this is defined in CAP371 quite simply me thinks (or was when we helped write the thing when I were a right thinking sprog:ugh:)

OPSMAD
18th May 2010, 12:26
Thanks guys.

I have always used it as you have described but someone through up a curve ball and suggested it could be applied with 2 periods of rest and therefore you could extend the FDP further. I just wanted someone else's opinion.

Thanks again