PDA

View Full Version : Israel threatens to ground airlines that don't use anti-hijack system

ettore
16th May 2010, 21:16
More workload upfront... :eek:

State threatens to ground airlines that don't use anti-hijack system - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News (http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/business/state-threatens-to-ground-airlines-that-don-t-use-anti-hijack-system-1.290068)

Gulfstreamaviator
19th May 2010, 05:48
Can I change my PIN number to 1234.

glf

Max Angle
19th May 2010, 08:01
What's next?

Stop flying to Israel.

Kingfisher
19th May 2010, 08:23
To cut costs only a few lucky crews are going to be given them.

" Oh new roster, there we go Tel Aviv, Tel Aviv..... another Tel Aviv"

infrequentflyer789
19th May 2010, 09:10
YouTube - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K95SXe3pZoY) :)
[...]
So what makes anyone think that "the terrorists" can not torture the PIN out of you? :ouch:
[...]

I think the idea is that you can give them any pin when they torture you, and they won't know if it's the real one or not (until it's too late).

Of course this relies on pilots preferring to be shot down rather than take the chance that the hijackers might land and negotiate.

theredbarron
19th May 2010, 09:17
Israeli company invents and manufactures new electronic gizmo. Israeli government, always supportive of Israeli industry, mandates it use by all aircraft entering Israeli airspace under the guise of security. Result = increased earnings for Israel. That's the REAL story guys.

Basil
19th May 2010, 13:34
Interesting newspaper - with a bit of history: 3760 years ahead of our lot and, as for the others, well, 'Get yer knees brown!' :)

clipstone1
19th May 2010, 22:08
so when the Israeli's ban British aircraft from Israel, do we do the same and stop them coming into the UK?

ettore
19th May 2010, 22:45
May I suggest we would stick to the topic ? i.e. :

The head of the Israeli pilots association, Captain Boaz Hativa of El Al, sent a confidential report to his colleagues in March. He said the International Federation of Airline Pilots' Associations had discussed the system and felt it had little, if any, security value, and created other problems related to both security and flight safety. "In addition, it raises a serious possibility that in an extreme case, use of the system could bring about the shooting down of an innocent plane and its passengers," wrote Hativa.

BTW, Clipstone1's question already got an answer. Refy :

"Threats from the Transportation Ministry are the not the way to solve and deal with disagreements with foreign airlines and pilots. If European airlines are not allowed to land in Israel, Israeli airlines will also not be allowed to land in overseas airports."