PDA

View Full Version : United crew "bracing"/landing posture

Jackbr
16th May 2010, 11:45
I thought that at most airlines, Flight Attendants sat in a "relaxed" brace position during take off/landing, eg sitting straight, hands under thighs or on knees, legs ninety degrees, and focussing on the silent review. This is 100% definitely procedure at Qantas, Virgin Blue and Jetstar - possibly a CASA thing?

Landing in SFO on a UA 747 last month, the purser/CSM/CSD began her welcome announcement literally within seconds of the initial touchdown, with the aircraft still well and truly rolling out for the landing. Is it not a requirement at UA for the Flight Attendants to brace/do their silent review during landing? Prior to this landing, I'd never even heard the announcement begun while the engines were in reverse, which they most definitely were in this instance.

skyboy1919
16th May 2010, 12:21
I have flown under CASA, CAA and FAA as Cabin Crew and was required to sit in a relaxed or semi brace position while undergoing some sort of silent review for take off and landing at all carriers. Announcements were never made until the aircraft turned off the active runway.

Take off and Landing are both a critical phase of flight where everything can change in a split second (BA 777 into London being a great example of a focused crew saving lives) unfortunately complacency does sometimes creep in and coupled with tiredness or lack of focus for any reason can have disastrous effect. (Flight Deck especially.)

I can however assure you adrenaline brings focus back in a heart beat and offending CSM would have been like wonder women in a flash if needed. :eek:

This event was likely a temporary slip in focus and I am sure a few of the F/A's were rolling their eyes!

Aus380
17th May 2010, 09:59
I was once sitting at the back of a Thai 747 and noticed the FA at L5 reading the paper on landing without even having a harness on. Only thing I cold think of was glad I could get myself out, and help others if I had to

ashlea
21st May 2010, 09:03
In my airline we wait until the aircraft has turned on to the taxiway from the runway