View Full Version : HELP! Eyes & Airline

MASystem
25th Jun 2000, 20:36
I am VERY WORRIED about my future carreer as an airline pilot. I am currently a self-sponsored student pilot in Australia and am wearing glasses -5.5 and -5.0 . I am a holder of a CPL/IR and have their Class 1. Obviously UK is out for me but FAA is still possible.

I really WANT TO END UP AS AN AIRLINE PILOT.
I sometimes really get DISAPPOINTED when reading an airline's recruitment to find out that they have limits for the eyes. VERY DISAPPOINTED. However, I understand that because the airline is sponsoring the cadets, they can choose the ones without eye defects. Hopefully, they would not mind taking in someone with some experience that needs vision correction.

I do not mind going to the US and getting their licence again. But does an airline have different Class 1 requirements, especially with regards to the eyes?

I have around 230 hrs at the moment and am a university graduate as well.

Can someone PLEASE ADVICE ME on what to do for the time being and for the near future?
I seriously need your advice. I really feel terrible, as I have always wanted to fly as a career.

Please advise me.

Thank you very much for your attention.

MASystem

inverted flatspin
26th Jun 2000, 08:00
If you have the right to live and work in the US (green card) then get over here as fast as you can. The FAA will have no problem with giving you a first class medical and when you have the required no of hours (usually more than 2000) the airlines can not demand a higher standard than a first class medical. It has got to do with the AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES act, which prohibits employers from discriminating against anyone who has a disability (real or percieved) so basically if the FAA say you are OK then the airlines have to accept it.