PDA

View Full Version : Cathay Pacific - Notice of Termination

prruneit
15th May 2010, 17:01
I have recently joined Cathay Pacific HK for a non-flying position and was told that 3 months notice (or payment in lieu) is required for ALL staff after probation period. This seems rather long for anyone who may leave the company in the future.

I know it is too late now that I have started the job, but is this really true that 3 months notice is required for all staff? :sad: If not, what is the condition for a shorter notice period (e.g. shorter period relates to career level, etc.).

2longhk
15th May 2010, 23:44
Its just Cx bonding, if you screw up a small amount they will put you on probation which gives them ( and you) the right to give one weeks notice and leave. been done before!!!

AAIGUY
16th May 2010, 01:35
You can pay them in place of notice.. not a great solution, but a solution.

prruneit
16th May 2010, 04:43
Yes, paying for three months is not easy....

1. You seen anyone able to negotiate a shorter notice upon leaving?

2. Btw, so this is really a fixed contract term for all non-flying perm staff? I mean, is this something standard to everyone which cannot be negotiated when I was offered?

Pomerian
16th May 2010, 07:18
different COS to different position.
like, cabin crew, only 1mth notice is required

prruneit
16th May 2010, 14:50
so does anyone know the notice of termination for non-flying position like IT and Corporate Planning? Is it always 3months notice for perm staff? Please help advise!

parabellum
16th May 2010, 21:21
prruneit - The only answer you are going to get that is worth anything will come from a solicitor/lawyer who is versed in Hong Kong contract law, or the law of the country under which your contract is written.

HKJunkie
17th May 2010, 17:20
The 3 months is near enough standard for non-flying staff. Ex-Pat I presume. We have 3 months being applied when changing to another job within CX.
If you are on a fixed term contract, gratuity is affected once you have been in the job for 6 months on.

prruneit
18th May 2010, 14:26
WOW, 3 months notice even within CX??? This is so crazy!

Well....I just thought it's difficult to find employers who are willing to wait 3 months in the future. On the hander, it would be VERY expensive to pay that money if I can't afford to wait 3 months.....SIGH.

Thought maybe there can be exceptions to this if negotiated at the begining....but I guess it's impossible according to responses I get here....

Thanks alot for everyone's response!