PDA

View Full Version : CVs by post or e-mail?

Mohit_C
15th May 2010, 16:35
Hello colleagues,

I have recently begun my first flying job hunt in this much saturated industry and would like some advice as to the best way to gain an employer's attention through my CV and covering letter. I have read through the various threads on how to prepare a decent CV and cover letter but what is the best way to get it to the employer?

Some websites ask for application forms to be filled out whereas others simply ask you to attach your CV in WORD or PDF format. Some have neither and you would have to send the CV through e-mail.

Over the past couple of weeks I have been sending them all by post. Of course, this is time consuming but at least I know it is getting looked at.

What do you guys think I should do? Continue with the post method in a way that I research the company, prepare a personal cover letter and send it with my CV or am I wasting time? Should I send it by post and e-mail/application form? Would they throw the "paper version" if they have my details on the application form or by e-mail?

Thanks for any suggestion.

Skysurfer1
18th May 2010, 14:43
Neither, I'd go to the head offices directly. Get them to see your face.

Mohit_C
19th May 2010, 11:32
Hmm, 377 views and just 1 reply. Surely there are many more unemployed pilots out there. Has this topic been covered before or am I the only one that thinks by post would be more personal?

:hmm:

MIKECR
19th May 2010, 18:53
A bit of a general response here but it really depends on who the recipient is. From my own past experiences of job hunting, I applied by all 3 methods that you mention. To the smaller operators, I would usually post a cv by mail, or alternatively I would send by email, assuming I had a contact email address. To the larger operators who had online applications to complete, then it was a case of play the game and fill in the forms. In all 3 cases, I received various replies, be it from Chief Pilots...to HR people etc etc.

I dont really think theres a right and wrong way to do it. If you know who looks after recruitment at the particular operator then write/email them directly. Make sure your CV is neat and tidy, and importantly ONE page! The covering letter should also be one page, as well as short and sweet. Also try and tailor the covering letter to the particular operator concerned. The same old template letters with "got any jobs mate??" generally dont work! Also, if sending by email then make sure the documents(CV/covering letter etc) can be easily formatted i.e. a Word doc or perhaps pdf. Fancy programs should be avoided.

As for turning up on Chief Pilots or Flight Ops Directors doorsteps....personally I would say NO!...theyre busy people. Just my opinion though;)

767200ER
19th May 2010, 23:55
E-mail, keep your bill down, really if they want to offer you an interview its not going to be decided by whether you posted your CV or e-mailed it.