PDA

View Full Version : RR Trent 700's, EPR's, and A330's

Panama Jack
15th May 2010, 10:07
I was recently having a discussion with some people who are experienced on the A330 using RR Trent 700 engines.

The only jet engine that I have previous experience with which uses EPR as a take-off thrust setting is the B-737-200 with JT8D's. Following a very famous accident in Washington DC, Boeing implimented a cross-check procedure between EPR and N1 (the PT1 Probe on the JT8D's were iced over producing a faulty EPR indication).

I asked whether such a cross check exists on the A330 but was told no. Haven't found any other reference source either. I understand that the powerplant on the type has an abnormal "N1 mode" and am wondering whether a similar situation which put a nail in the coffin of the Air Florida 737 would cause the FADEC to revert to rated or unrated N1 mode?

Thanks, in advance, for all intelligent replies.

Papa2Charlie
15th May 2010, 16:50
Hi,

I don't have a clue about JT8D's but the P2T2 rake on the Trent 700 is heated and will generate a fault message if it isn't operating. Not 100% sure but I think it's no dispatch with that fault.

N1 mode is used as a reversionary mode if there's a problem with an EEC channel or a sense line.

Cheers,

P2C

galaxy flyer
15th May 2010, 17:00
Give fuel flow a quick check as T/O power is set and have an approximate idea what it should be. At the time of the DCA accident, that check was also bandied about. Low fuel flow equals low power!

GF

wiggy
15th May 2010, 17:02
N1 mode is used as a reversionary mode if there's a problem with an EEC channel or a sense line

Same for the RB211-524 as well ( i.e. EPR used for normal Ref, N1 as reversion)