PDA

View Full Version : Kindle

Rook
14th May 2010, 23:52
Anyone bought a kindle in the US and brought it back to HK? Does it work the same as if you had shipped it to HK from amazon.com? What is your overall experience with it?
Thanks

Mr.Black
15th May 2010, 03:16
The US version of Kindle uses a different system + the billing is different when you download content outside the USA. Seeing as they do ship to HK, it's better to order the international version (GSM) and ship it to HK. I went down that path for my Kindle 2 and Kindle DX.

Cpt. Underpants
15th May 2010, 05:26
My kids have a kindle and I have an iPad.

Doing it all again, I would stay with the iPad.

There is a Kindle app (for the iPad) that lets you store and read the books in the same manner as the kindle. The iPad is more intuitive. There are reader apps (free) that allow you to read .PDF, .DOC and .PAGES formatted documents.

The browser on the kindle is experimental and very limited.

Given a choice, my kids reach for the iPad every time.

Rook
15th May 2010, 12:36
What about reading on the ipad screen? I can't imagine staring at another screen and I thought that was the point of the kindle. Obviously doesn't bother you.

DaHai
15th May 2010, 23:12
I have an International Kindle which I purchased via Australia. Amazon would not ship to China where I am living. For me it is perfect as purchasing novels in Xiamen or anywhere outside of Shanghai is extremely difficult. I download FREE books as I read a lot. Suggest download any book via computer then cut and paste into Kindle otherwise you will be charged using wispernet outside of the USA.
The Kindle 2 is an ideal size, 6 inch screen and most importantly is not backlit (a computer screen is backlit) and as such, not being backlit is not hard on the eyes. Naturally reading in the dark will require an external light. Reading in sunlight is great as no glare. Have a look at the Amazon site under the discsussions area.
I currently have about 25 books on my Kindle, but I delete them when I read them. Many people have thousands of books stored on their device. . Imagine travelling with one or two books in your luggage. They take up space and add weight. Travel with 20 or 1200 and what weight and size would be taken up. Why do I have 20? Well, "I can, so I have that many".
The iPad is bigger, heavier and has multi functions. It has its place if you are after a multi-functional machine and twice the price (approximately).
If you want a book reader, then I personally would not go past Kindle. I looked at Sony but they did not sell internationally and did not want to take the risk of buying one only to find that I had problems outside of the USA in using it.
Good luck in your choice. Contact me if you want any specific info or as i said, check the Amazon site.
Best wishes