PDA

View Full Version : Airport parking costs 'ridiculous'

fireflybob
14th May 2010, 08:29
Prices for parking at airports can range "from sublimely low to ridiculously high", a Which? Car survey has shown.

Airport parking costs 'ridiculous' (http://news.aol.co.uk/airport-parking-costs-ridiculous/article/2010051400092978654386?icid=main|uk-ws-bb|dl1|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.co.uk%2Fairport-parking-costs-ridiculous%2Farticle%2F2010051400092978654386)

TSR2
14th May 2010, 09:53
The survey obviously did not include Blackpool where car parking is FREE for up to 14 days.

Blackpool must therefore not be considered a major airport.

PAXboy
14th May 2010, 10:56
Just read the article on the BBC and agree with every word they say, since they are just stating what the experienced traveller knows.

If only it would change something ... :ugh:

pwalhx
14th May 2010, 13:05
In terms of the report I would agree they don't class Blackpool as a major airport, do you?

goatface
14th May 2010, 13:33
You'd have to be two sheets to the wind to not know about the costs of airport car parking.
For the individual making any internet flight booking, there are numerous reminders through the process and many afterwards that there are many "offers" on airport car park booking and suitable alternatives, especially if you intend to stay at an airport hotel or B & B the night prior to your flight.
Equally, any decent travel agent will give you all the options.

Although this report is well intended, it's just fodder for the Daily Mail & Daily Express whose readers will tell each other how awful it is and then use an airport car park on their next holiday to tan their bingo wings and paunches.
Just take a look at the number of vehicles which still utilise car parks at and near to the larger UK airports - 1000s each day and 99% of those will be aware of the costs that they will incur, more to the point, few of them care.

mickyman
14th May 2010, 14:13
I wish to 'big-up' Manchesters' low fees.......

(I'll get me coat........)

MM

DOOBIE
14th May 2010, 16:02
I occasionally have to pop into work at Luton on days off. Since the staff car park is at the other end of the world, I take advantage of the free hour in the Mid-Term car park. The first 'charge' used to be something like £2.20 for up to 2 hours. When I visited last weekend, after the free hour, you now have to pay for a full day - £17.50. Could be a rather expensive 1 minute too long. :eek:

mr grumpy
14th May 2010, 17:15
How else does anyone expect an Airport to make enough money to survive?

call100
14th May 2010, 19:33
Excellent point.........:ok:

davidjohnson6
14th May 2010, 20:11
Airports appear to be in a 'cannot lose' position here. One the one hand, they get revenue from the car park, while on the other hand if people complain they can say publicly it's part of a policy to encourage passengers to travel to/from the airport by public transport and thus minimise CO2 emissions.

Private company that can charge people lots of money, and be able to tell their customers that the high fees are all for a greater cause. Even the brightest at Harvard business school would struggle to replicate that !

al446
14th May 2010, 20:37
Blackpool is nowhere near being a major airport.

The parking may be free but that is after their airport duty of £10 each.

crewmeal
15th May 2010, 05:31
Went to meet a friend off the EK flight last night. The first time I'd been to BHX for some time. Their charges are £1 for 15 mins, £2 for 30 mins then £5 per 5 mins over that. So if passengers are delayed waiting for baggage and you were in the short stay for 1 hour that's £32. Not updating the arrivals website doesn't help either.

I wonder how much NCP give the airport as a percentage of their takings.

Crusher1
15th May 2010, 07:51
I agree about BHX, only used the new system once and never again!!! I get my pax to walk up to the roundabout and I pick them up from there - as long as you don't actually park and wait there's very little the police patrols can do.

rpmac
15th May 2010, 08:30
Newcastle Pick up/drop off now £1. Last week picked someone up who was waiting, threw the case in the back and we left, never switched off the engine........now costs a £1. Rip Off .. I think so and not a great welcome to someone arriving at Newcastle. Edinburgh is still free.

nivsy
15th May 2010, 11:06
Short term car park Glasgow - free for 10 minutes I think then 4 pound an hour therafter I think. Disgusting.

EGNT
15th May 2010, 13:32
NCL is a disgrace. When I was last there the two people at the barriers were making a fuss to the guy on duty. He came back with a clipboard and pen, not sure if they managed to get out for nothing!

Ernest Lanc's
15th May 2010, 19:11
TSR2 is right - The place to fly from is BLK. I am parking free in July/Aug, but not at MAN in the beginning of June.

al446

There might be a £10 ADF - But that is for the over 16s. £10 is also cheaper than parking fees.

Everyone with children gains - As do single travelers, as do couples.

al446
15th May 2010, 19:25
Ernest Lancs I am sure your penchant for BLK is well placed in your case, possibly on your doorstep (so why park?) and may be finr if you want higher fares, limited destinations (Ireland, Spain, Portugal, IOM) and £10 pp APD. For myself I will use JLA out of preference, cheaper parking than MAN or LBA, easier airport to navigate and a host of destinations.

Ernest Lanc's
15th May 2010, 19:35
al446,

I live 30 miles from Blackpool. about the same distance from Liverpool - Manchester I believe is about 25 miles. So BLK is hardly on my doorstep.

Yes the destinations are limited.

But for people wanting these destinations BLK is a better bet than MAN as the ease of use with no Long walks to drag luggage is a plus factor coupled with the free parking, which works out far cheaper in most cases despite the ADF.
I have not used JLA so I can't comment, I never consider that airport though because for me it's the most awkward to get to.
I am using MAN is 2 weeks, and BLK end of July - Know which I prefer.
On topic: I am paying £70.00 in taxis to Man - For a party of 4, I am parking free at BLK I am paying just £20 for the ADF for 2 aduts.

call100
15th May 2010, 20:21
Went to meet a friend off the EK flight last night. The first time I'd been to BHX for some time. Their charges are £1 for 15 mins, £2 for 30 mins then £5 per 5 mins over that. So if passengers are delayed waiting for baggage and you were in the short stay for 1 hour that's £32. Not updating the arrivals website doesn't help either.

I wonder how much NCP give the airport as a percentage of their takings.
That is when it pays to do your research!......Look at the websites before travelling and find out how you can park cheaper for longer, if that's what you need.....:ugh:

possibleconsequences
15th May 2010, 21:01
For some airports the only way of making any money is through car park and shop sales. If passengers want to fly with low cost operators then they must expect the airports to look for income from elsewhere as they aren't getting it from the airlines!

Ernest Lanc's
15th May 2010, 21:16

I remember posting to that effect of the BLK thread - When discussing the rights or wrongs of the ADF. Not in the exact words, but my sentiment over the ADF was the same as your post. And Still is.

Flightrider
15th May 2010, 21:23
One of the other areas which surprisingly seems to attract no attention is airport taxi costs. Typically the airport's designated taxi firm charges you about double the cost of a local taxi, but most airports make it impossible for local taxi firms to pick you up. This is not a rant against taxi drivers, who are paying huge sums to the airports and the "designated taxi firms" - little more than a questionable bunch of characters alleged to have links to organised crime for at least one major UK airport - but rather at airports who are complicit in the total racket which has developed here.

Ernest Lanc's
15th May 2010, 21:30
Flightrider.

You are on the money there: I use taxis from my home town, and I think it was last year I could not find my taxi on arrival at BLK. I telephoned to taxi people and he was hiding from the local taxi drivers at the small airport of BLK.
Yes they are greedy and a nuisance.

call100
16th May 2010, 00:56
One of the other areas which surprisingly seems to attract no attention is airport taxi costs. Typically the airport's designated taxi firm charges you about double the cost of a local taxi, but most airports make it impossible for local taxi firms to pick you up. This is not a rant against taxi drivers, who are paying huge sums to the airports and the "designated taxi firms" - little more than a questionable bunch of characters alleged to have links to organised crime for at least one major UK airport - but rather at airports who are complicit in the total racket which has developed here.
But surely, if you do not regulate the cabs at the airport you will have chaos. Licensing cabs which can use the airport and having a company to run that avoids absolute anarchy and chaos in the cab arena...Obviously the Airport should ensure that the company running the cabs is above board....

Avman
16th May 2010, 08:53
The drop-off and go car park at BHX is a rip-off. It came into being as a cash cow after the Glasgow incident. Legistlation should exist for at least 30 mins free parking. BHX used to provide one hour free in the Long Stay. That has now been cut to 15 mins (unreasonable). Thereafter it's £1 for the first hour (fair enough)which jumps to something like £8 for the 2nd hour (totally unreasonable).

call100
16th May 2010, 19:09
The drop-off and go car park at BHX is a rip-off. It came into being as a cash cow after the Glasgow incident. Legistlation should exist for at least 30 mins free parking. BHX used to provide one hour free in the Long Stay. That has now been cut to 15 mins (unreasonable). Thereafter it's £1 for the first hour (fair enough)which jumps to something like £8 for the 2nd hour (totally unreasonable).
BHX, at one time, made a profit from aircraft!!! Times have changed.:rolleyes:

nivsy
16th May 2010, 20:25
Are car parks on and off airport lenient regarding pax not being able to pick up vehicles due to cancelled flights due to the Ash Cloud or are they charging "standard" daily rates over and above that paid for advance bookings does anyone know?

Nivsy

west lakes
16th May 2010, 21:44
I was looking at a quote at LGW for next Feb (£39 for 7 nights) site stated no extra charges for delays caused by ash cloud.

Interestingly railway parking locally is £6 per day

sunnybunny
3rd Jun 2010, 14:36
It's not only airports that regulate which taxi's can pick up from their site. Our local main line rail station, run by Virgin, has doubled the fee to cabbies to about £300, just for the privilege of picking up from the station forecourt.

stevef
3rd Jun 2010, 20:29
Aberdeen Airport Long Stay car park... £7.10 per day.

Haven't a clue
3rd Jun 2010, 20:43
Look guys if you think the cost of parking a car at any airport is outrageous, then how would you feel about the stratospheric cost of parking a B747 overnight?

sunnybunny
4th Jun 2010, 13:59
I don't know how much 747 parking costs, but then as I don't own one I never probably will.

Bit like owning a Rolls Royce, if you have to ask you probably can't afford one...

Wouldn't fit in my garage anyway and the neigbours complain about caravans on the drive already.

:)

call100
4th Jun 2010, 16:22
This will enable you to compare.....Airports may vary.....
I think a 747-400 is just over 178 tonnes..

9. AIRCRAFT PARKING
9.1 For aircraft making a minimum of 1 chargeable departure per week, there is no charge for the first 2 hours of parking. Thereafter the following charges are for 24 hours or part for each period of parking.
Not over 3.5 tonnes £2.60 .................... per 1/2 tonne
Not over 10 tonnes £18.90 .................. flat rate
Not over 20 tonnes £35.50 .................. flat rate
Not over 30 tonnes £53.00 .................. flat rate
Not over 100 tonnes £53.00 .................. + £10.71 per 10 tonnes (or part over 30 tonnes)
Over 100 tonnes £128.00 ................ + £9.66 per 10 tonnes (or part over 100 tonnes)

During any period of parking, the Airport reserves the right to require that the aircraft be moved to a different location upon the site at the aircraft operators expense.

9.2 For aircraft making less than 1 chargeable departure per week, a rate of £4.00 per tonne will be charged for each 24 hour period or part. The Airport reserves the right to require that the aircraft be moved to a different
location upon the site at the aircraft operators expense. Discounts may be available against this charge by agreement with the airport prior to the period of parking commencing.

9.3 Monthly Contract
A 40% rebate may be available subject to prior application and must be approved on Form 16 available from the Cash Office. Monthly Contract Fees, for each aircraft, are calculated on the daily rate, multiplied by the
average number of days per month x 60%. Monthly Contract Fees are payable in advance.

Pohutu
4th Jun 2010, 19:06
During any period of parking, the Airport reserves the right to require that the aircraft be moved to a different location upon the site at the aircraft operators expense.

There's no valet parking option then? :)

redsnail
4th Jun 2010, 21:00
For the bizjet parking at London City, £90/hr! :eek:

Doors to Automatic
4th Jun 2010, 21:42
BHX's charges are only high for the ultra-short stay. This is designed to drop off and pick up only so if you are planning to stay longer go into the short-stay multi-storey. It is only a couple of minutes walk from the terminal and 1 hour there is around £3.

PAXboy
4th Jun 2010, 23:44
Reminds me of the time I was working in Munich. Every third weekend, I would come home, or my lady would travel out to me. One weekend, she was caught in the M25 on the Friday rush and realised there would not be enough time for the weekend rates in Pink Elephant.

The cost of 48 hours in the T2 short term was fairly high - but not as high as throwing the whole ticket away (she was on the last out of the evening). That was 1999 and they have ramped up the costs considerably now to dissuade those who did that deliberately and claimed it on expenses, as it was clogging the car park.

call100
6th Jun 2010, 06:57
There's no valet parking option then? :)
There is actually......
11.6 Aircraft Washbay
Western Apron (minimum charge one hour) ........................................................ per hour £ 53.00
Stand 70 (minimum charge one hour) ............................................................ ...... per hour £ 74.00
Plus the cleaning companies charges!!:ok::)

RevMan2
6th Jun 2010, 19:20
Airports make a profit on every activity they perform.

They have a monopoly for that location.

They're either the only game in town (on-airport parking) or the price/convenience barriers for alternatives (off-airport parking) are too high

Doesn't anybody get it?

call100
6th Jun 2010, 20:18
Airports make a profit on every activity they perform.

They have a monopoly for that location.

They're either the only game in town (on-airport parking) or the price/convenience barriers for alternatives (off-airport parking) are too high

Doesn't anybody get it?
Except from Airlines!!!!

Helen49
8th Jun 2010, 15:59
There was a time when 75% plus of airport revenue was from aircraft activity. The remainder came from the ancilliary activities. Nowadays the figures are reversed! Low Cost Operators don't want to pay so we have expensive parking, shops and coffee!

Simple!

H49

RedhillPhil
9th Jun 2010, 09:58
If you know pretty much in advance when you're travelling - and most people do - try your local railway station for an el cheapo advance ticket or deal. First Great Western for instance do a deal to Gatwick from any of their stations called a "Gatwick Flyaway" which gives a flat fare for up to four people plus kids for a pound each. Friend of mine did that from Wokingham for he and his wife plus their two kids for about £33. Cheaper than a taxi and cheaper than petrol and parking.