PDA

View Full Version : 1. Lose weight

smithmiller6
14th May 2010, 07:13
Hi I have 21 years and want to lose weight the doctor tells me that last 5 kilos but I'm always trying to lose weight, but what I do is climb over and the truth and I do not know what to do and nothing I diet underwriting year and now nose to do

GGR
14th May 2010, 07:19
Simple....unless you have a medical condition causing you to not drop weight then eat less move more. Dont waste your money on wonder preparations that will only make you sick. Start with counting how many calories a day you are taking in and then reduce that amount by a third. Ideally NO MORE THAN 2500 per day and moderate exercise, walking etc, should do it for you.

Summary......EAT LESS MOVE MORE.

GGR

beachbumflyer
14th May 2010, 08:41
It's simple math: calories taken minus calories burned.
If the results is negative you lose weight, if it is positive you gain.
Try some some sports: cycling, swimming, running, whichever you
like. Cycling is a lot of fun and you burn a lot calories, and it's a great
way of transportation in the city or town.

Der absolute Hammer
14th May 2010, 09:39
Eat meat.
Take up bullfighting.

cptkris
14th May 2010, 13:44
As mentioned, eat less than you use.

There are some good web sites (often government run) that will have recommendations of how much energy in Kj's or Kcal's to eat per day depending on your age and level of 'usage'.

Then spend 5 mins just guesstimating what the food you eat really contains, sandwiches, pasta, meat, eggs etc and make an excel spreadsheet.

If you eat less (note: do still eat 3-5 meals per day) you will probably feel hungry for the first three weeks due smaller portion sizes but after this initial period you will feel quite full after a now normal sized meal.

Also, do start moving but try not to be too hard on yourself because you Will suck (or feel like you suck) at everything. Start with low impact stuff like swimming or fast pace walking.

Or... join the armed forces, that worked for me :)

Good luck man!

gingernut
14th May 2010, 20:08
Five kilo's should be achievable with relatively painless changes.

Unless you're only 3 foot 6.:)

The Range
15th May 2010, 17:35
And don't eat that dessert you are crazy about.

jamesaaland
18th May 2010, 05:28
Yours is a small problem, I'm about to undergo a gastric baipass, x that I have twice my weight. I recommend you go to an endocrinologist to see if you got hypothyroidism is not serious! solves with medication so maybe you can not lose weight. Good luck and you can get those extra pounds.

Fruta Planta (http://www.netnutri.com/browse.cfm/4,5066.html) a 100% all Natural weight loss product.

carldudley
19th May 2010, 19:47
Hey,

I wondered if anyone has ever know of someone being denied a class 2 medical on the grounds of excessive weight. I am currently waiting for the official reply but i have been informed over the phone and by my AME that my medical has not been deemed fit to fly. I have the same problem as the previous poster - Hypothyroidism and am also currently waiting for a gastric bypass. I am interested to know your thoughts and possible ways forward??

Thanks

SoundBarrier
19th May 2010, 20:33
I lost 15kg by cutting meal sizes by 1/3rd and running or cycling. Not rocket science.

The hard part is being committed to it. Do it day by day, don't think of the end result just think of today, "Today I WILL do 25km on the bike!" and don't keep an eye too close on the scale for at least two weeks.

Bob the Doc
21st May 2010, 08:59
Your local GP can check your thyroid function. You do not need to see an endocrinologist for it. If there is a problem (and usually there isn't) then a referral to an endocrinologist may be appropriate.

As previous posters have said, calories in, calories out. Get the balance right and you can make your weight do whatever you want. Hypothyroid people have a lower than normal Basal Metabolic Rate so they burn fewer calories meaning that there are more left over to make fat. It's still a matter of calories in, calories out though. Calculating the quantity of calories burned is the challenge.

Bertie Thruster
21st May 2010, 21:54
3 years ago, at age 55, I was struggling with my weight. I jogged 3 miles every evening. I ate low fat, counted calories, no sugar, low GI, low fat, porridge for breakfast, 5 a day, etc, etc. The more I tried the more I seemed to slowly get heavier and heavier!

Running just made me hungry. My diet just left me hungry. Mid morning my porridge just seemed to 'run out'.

I was 14 stone, BMI 30, BP 145/90. I felt crap.

2 years ago I stopped running. I stopped counting calories. I started again eating eggs, cheese, nuts, cream and butter. I just stopped eating bread, flour, cereals, pasta, rice and potatoes.

I don't get hungry any more. I don't count calories. I don't jog any more. If I miss breakfast I just wait until lunch, it's not a problem any more.

I'm now 10 st 7lb, BMI 22.5. BP 117/75. I feel fine.

gingernut
21st May 2010, 22:55
carlduddley out of interest, were you deemed unfit due to your weight or due to the hypothyroidism?

carldudley
25th May 2010, 16:35
well i still dont have the official letter yet from the CAA but a letter from my AME states it is due to my bmi (my weight).

gingernut
25th May 2010, 21:19
First time I've heard of that.

What's your BMI and have the authorities given you a threshold to work to?

Bertie Thruster
26th May 2010, 17:42
I found this very useful for reducing weight and then maintaining a normal blood pressure:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i97/nmhsu/carbcurve1.jpg