PDA

View Full Version : HF for Luanda..

Jangys
13th May 2010, 10:03
Hi Guys,

Planning on doing a trip with the Mustang from FALA to Accra via Luanda...the aircraft does not have an HF installation.

Will this be a problem?

Heard of a Premier that got impounded in Luanda due no HF????

Apollo20
13th May 2010, 18:24
in short, YES, you need HF. rumours are true, this has happened before. let alone if you have an HF fitted, if it does not even work, you get fined. remember, there are vast distances in between two VHF stations whereby if you are the one, and LAD is the other, greater than 150miles, you can start having problems, and the distances are a lot greater than that. do not take a chance would be my reccomendation. if you are referring to the Citation Mustang, i thought these little jets had provisioning? If not, then you will have a problem as many years ago, one could use portable HF systems, but this is not allowed anymore (legally), so, short from not flying this a/c to your destinatation, budget approx USD70k "turn key" for a system to be installed. I am sure Comair at Lanseria would be able to guide you in the right direction on what to do since this a/c should still be under warranty.

Der absolute Hammer
13th May 2010, 18:57
I hope you will forgive me but the idea sounds a little bit like flying over the Pacific without a life raft.

hatman
13th May 2010, 20:12
The whole West Coast from Nambia upwards need HF. Luanda not keen on you arving unanounced. should have have been talking to them on HF from the Namibian border. (Normaly on 8888)

f2000
14th May 2010, 01:29
If you check the Angolan regulations/notams you will see that HF is mandatory in their FIR
Safe flying

f2000
16th May 2010, 06:34
The legislation is clear... HF mandatory in Angolan FIR. wilst you may get away with it for a while sooner or later you wont...Africa has some of the most dangerous airspace with Angola as one of the worst. We as professional operators need to be part of the solution Not part of the problem .... Compliance is the key.

big buddah
16th May 2010, 08:04
Agree,
You might luck it with the Angolan CAA, can't remember their name?? but you could get in serious trouble also!
We got hit up big time in Huambo from memory, as ours was U/S that day and the controller wasn't going to let us T/O back to Luanda. It took a lot of bull ****ting to get us out of there!

Also it's part of the professionalism of being aviators, it's mandatory in that airspace! What other rules are you going to just ignore!

You either be part of helping African aviation step up or you keep it known as good old dodgy Africa, where know one gives a ****!

Your choice.

Der absolute Hammer
16th May 2010, 09:04
Reuters International reports:

Wednesday May 19, 2010.

The Angolan Civil Aviation Authority today announced that it had impounded a Citation CJ1 which was on a flight from FLLS-FZAA. A Mig fighter jet was used to force the pilots to divert from their flight planned route and land at an unnamed military airfield. The aircraft had been flying without satisfactory communication equipment, in contravention of Angolan regulations.The aircraft operator is suspected of engaging in illegal activities. The pilots will remain in custody while the matter is further investigated. It is unlikely that the aircraft will be released to its owners for some weeks. The passengers on the flight have been accomodated in local barracks while arangments are made for their shipment to detention in Luanda for further questioning.
The Angolan authorities were tipped off to this illegal activity by comments made upon a pilot network blog in which one of the pilots boasted of his intention to flout international air law procedures. The Angloan security forces were able to predict the aircraft's route from the information unwittingly supplied by the Captain of the flight.

f2000
16th May 2010, 09:15
That scenario is all too real. Even one day in an Angolan lockup will change your life forever....and not in a good way... I hope the CJ pilot does not flout European regs the way he does Angolan regs. Do the job properly or join a bank!!!!!!!!!!!!

CJ750
16th May 2010, 16:42
He might get away with it without ever landing in Angola but the minute he does he is going to have a problem.

Auscoaster
18th May 2010, 12:47
When you apply for your permit to overfly or land in Angola, you are suppossed to mention on your application whether you are HF equiped or not.