PDA

View Full Version : Common Cold

fireflybob
12th May 2010, 17:25
Over the last 3 weeks or so I have been zapped by the worst common cold symptoms I have ever had - cataarh including after a week loss of voice for two days etc. Went to the doc yesterday - he checked me out and said all ok, just a common cold! He suggested that I may have contracted another cold after the first one.

I am quite proactive healthwise and wonder whether I can do anything to alleviate the symptoms!

Paul Rice
12th May 2010, 19:07
Hi Firefly bob,

Im very sorry to hear about your cold.

On the 23 April I came down just a mild headache. I operated that night and managed to block an ear on descent. Since then ive been on a rollar coaster ride of very extreme headaches, feeling like ive been physically kicked in the head, ear aches , sore throat, diarrhea, and slight shortness of breath. Its been on going to a greater or lessor degree for two weeks and 5 days now.

The bug continually seems to change in nature from one day to the next. Treating me to a painful sore throat were eating solids was not possible on one day and then the next day having only a mild sore throat but severe headache. Next day no headache but really painful glands in the neck and then next day ear ache but glands much less painfull. And so it goes on morphing from day to day. It has on occasions been very unpleasant.

Also been to the GP who did the usual blood pressure say ahhh peer into the throat and sent me on the way with you will be all right in three weeks mate.

Its a real bugger and seems to show no real sign of clearing fully yet! Hope to be flying by end of week as three weeks seems to be enough of this nonsense.

Bob the Doc
12th May 2010, 22:05
Common cold - basic measures - maintain adequate hydration, regular paracetamol and Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs like ibuprofen) to relieve symptoms. Not a lot else you can do but ride it out. Antibiotics do NOT work on the common cold

gingernut
13th May 2010, 07:29
Usually takes about 7 days to clear using a cure, or about a week without one:)

fireflybob
13th May 2010, 08:26
Thanks for the comments, beginning to feel better today!

Paul Rice, hope you're on the mend too!