PDA

View Full Version : New UK government look the make their mark

MUFC_fan
12th May 2010, 12:33
Airlines may be in for a bit of a shock, says the BBC's business editor Robert Peston, because the Lib Dem policy of taxing planes rather than passengers has been adopted by David Cameron. He also says that while the Tory plan to make £6 billion of cuts this year has been accepted, the Lib Dems have won a concession that part of that £6 billon will be redeployed for job creation.

BBC News - Election 2010 - Live coverage - General Election 2010 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/election2010/liveevent/)

In my opinion, this is the two parties trying to make the headlines. Get their names in the papers as doing good by going 'green.' I'm sorry, but this is economical suicide for one of the UK's largest industries.

How on god's given earth is it a good idea for the UK to punish their own businesses more so than others abroad?! Is there a word for the complete opposite of protectionism? Punishmentism?

It makes me laugh how LD's want reform on our voting system yet being the third part in the general election, both on seats and percentage of the vote, they get to apply their policies as law and have their leaders sat on the front bench of the oldest 'democracy' in the world.

I dread to think what state this country is going to be in in four years time...Anyway, this isn't a political forum, but the economics behind this are completely insane...

pwalhx
12th May 2010, 13:39
What worries me from the freight point of view is this could end up as a tax on exports.

However in real terms, if as said this replaces the APD what are the differences in £ and pence between the two to be honest I don't know but would like to.

RoseRover
12th May 2010, 13:59
I think Willie Walsh and Colin Matthews will knocking on Mr Cameron's door fairly soon....

No 3rd Runway at LHR
No additional runways at STN and LGW

Having heard Mr Cameron talking about LHR previously, he doesn't understand aviation economics.

MUFC_fan
12th May 2010, 14:05
Having heard Mr Cameron talking about LHR previously, he doesn't understand aviation economics.

The main problems with politicians - they think they know it all, they don't.

Talk to aviation economists, it is their bread and butter, they know what they are talking about. If they say, yes, Heathrow 3rd runway is a bad idea or vice versa, take it thoroughly into account when making a decision.

For LHR not to be able to expand and for airline's to be charged per aircraft, I hope those wind farms are going to provide a hell of a lot of income through exporting the energy because they are going to need it when British aviation comes to it's knees. Oh wait, that energy is for us...:ugh:

I take the words of Gordon Brown and apply them to this industry:

"Thank you, and goodbye."

racedo
12th May 2010, 17:21
People need to stop confusing campaiging to get elected with the day to day stuff of actually implementing policy.

Its great to have stuff in a manifesto but kind of different when faced with the implications of implementing the policy and so it will be with aviation policy.

Rusland 17
12th May 2010, 18:26
Its great to have stuff in a manifesto but kind of different when faced with the implications of implementing the policy and so it will be with aviation policy.But this is not a manifesto pledge; the election (in case you are unaware) has been won and a new government is in power. It is now government policy not to allow additional runways at any of London's main airports.