PDA

View Full Version : Kalahari Air Services

Der absolute Hammer
12th May 2010, 05:49
Excellent web site but not a German sausage on the employment flying side. Does any one perhaps know any thing about their requirements for pilots and what they are like to fly for? I think that the company has been around for a long time so it must be stable in these difficult times, which is well done to them.

Heritage 1
12th May 2010, 11:30
Great company to work for if you are starting out. Pay is not great but accommodation is provided. Lifestyle in Gabs is slow but awesome once you make friends. Most recruiting is done by word of mouth but it won't do any harm to show your face and introduce yourself to the boss (Noel). He can be a bit grouchy at times but is very fair and approachable. I don't think a posted or emailed cv will do it. He probably gets hundreds.

I think the minimums are 1000tt and twin IF.

Der absolute Hammer
12th May 2010, 14:56
That's kind of you to reply so quickley and thank you. I can do the minimums and somewhere I have that old bright green Botswana licence with TT rating.
I was doing some thinking about retiring to Gaberone and that is what prompted the question. Do not want to leave Africa but am not sure I want to keep ducking and doing the diving in SA. Probably drive up sometime in the spring time and havea look around. I must try and catch Mr Noel when he is not in a grumpy mood then? I can do Graucho too.
Thanks again.......DaH

flying paddy
12th May 2010, 15:00
Hi

I agree with the above post whole hearted. I think though it is more around the 1500 hours mark.

I dont think there is much movement there at the mo as they have just hired. But it is a good gig if you can get it. One of the last places you can fly the BE20 solo and into bush strips too boot.

Any questions PM me.

Cheers
Paddy

Der absolute Hammer
12th May 2010, 15:17
Thanks flying paddy. I will not be able to get to Gaberone until October now and that is a long time in aviation. I have a little time on the B200-also in my old green Botswana book. Single crew bush flying? Back to the good old days, snake bite serum and a condom in the flight bag to fill with water on the walk out?
I may take you up on your pm...thank you very much.

bitruff
19th May 2010, 06:42
I remember well my days with KAS. Back in the day when folks such as "Little" Andy Sauer ran the place and it was owned by Jeff Randell---Nooky was the office lady! Then Mr Brink took over! Training the first group of pilots for the BDF was always going to be interesting.
Flew with a good bunch. Couple of Aussies a Kiwi, Swiss and a few locals. All moved on to bigger and LESS exciting things no doubt!
We had a mechanic by the name of Noel, is he the "grouch"?

flying paddy
19th May 2010, 09:24
That grumpy mechanic called Noel now owns the company. (Good egg though).

Der absolute Hammer
19th May 2010, 10:12
Now ain't conjecture a wonderful thing?

flyingpaddy.
Noel.
Irish sire name.
One and the same?

Ho Ho !!!!

flying paddy
20th May 2010, 00:41
Nope afraid not.

FP

bitruff
20th May 2010, 14:34
Ahhh Noel you were/are a good man. Congratulations, I can imagine Gabs has changed a bit since 1977!! Miss those days.

2nd Jun 2010, 22:05
I've heard wind through AvCanada that work visas for expat pilot have started being rejected and they are no longer issuing any as far as Bots goes ... any word from the field boys? I'm planning a trip out myself.

Cheers!!

Der absolute Hammer
3rd Jun 2010, 19:25
The same piece of grass is probably still there growing at weekends.