PDA

View Full Version : QF and Virgin to target regional WA

ROH111
12th May 2010, 04:51
Looks like some pressure on XR coming up...

From thewest.com.au
Big carriers eye regional routes - The West Australian (http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wa/7211833/big-carriers-eye-regional-routes/)

"WA's aviation sector is set for the biggest shake-up since the demise of Ansett in 2001, with Qantas and Virgin Blue expected to enter regional routes.

It is understood Qantas and Virgin Blue will launch services to Geraldton and Exmouth from Perth when the routes are deregulated in December.

Qantas is also expected to tender for routes to Albany and Esperance.
The State Government has been reviewing the State's protected air routes which are covered by two contracts - the inland and coastal.
A request for proposals for a series of five-year contracts for services to Monkey Mia, Carnarvon, Kalbarri, Albany, Esperance, Meekatharra, Wiluna, Laverton, Leinster, Leonora and Mt Magnet will be issued today. These centres are divided into the two contracts and will be split into four contracts.

Qantas executives were in Exmouth yesterday talking to local councils and industry stakeholders and Virgin Blue officials are due in Exmouth next week"

Discuss.

newsensation
12th May 2010, 07:04
Sunstate Q400 base in Perth, more DASH 8 400's on order!:D

Long John Silver
12th May 2010, 07:09
Watch out people of Mt Magnet and Wiluna (there's about 13 of you right? :E). You could have QF and VB competing vigorously for your services! :}

dodgybrothers
12th May 2010, 12:28
wa people should have a look at what qf did in sa. Yep here we are with you all the way. No we're not. Ok we're back again and here with you all the way....we think....

Stick with what you got.

Capn Bloggs
12th May 2010, 14:06
Sunstate Q400 base in Perth, more DASH 8 400's on order!
Park 'em down at Freo, will ya? We don't want more boats at YPPH! :{

Normasars
12th May 2010, 22:43
Careful there Bloggsy,

These "boats" may just put you out of a job in the not too distant future.:ok:

Di_Vosh
12th May 2010, 23:03
Mate! How's it going out west?

Enjoying the new job?

DIVOSH!

Spinnerhead
13th May 2010, 00:18
Sunstate Q400 base in Perth, more DASH 8 400's on order

Or will it be an Eastern, or even a "Westate" base? Crewed by NJ or whoever from where ever!

Capn Bloggs
13th May 2010, 00:39
Not Sunstate, Eastern, Western...

It'll be "Beststate"!

Where do I sign up? :}

Tankengine
13th May 2010, 00:53
Just make sure you accept a pay drop! Or the "other guys" might do the work!
:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh: :ugh::ugh:

rmcdonal
13th May 2010, 01:02
The plan is to dig out the old Southern AOC and get it going again. :ok::ok::ok::E

Capn Bloggs
13th May 2010, 01:14
Don't worry Tank. Beststate=Bestpay! :E

Boats. Would I be alllowed to borrow one on the weekends for a bit of private skiing? :D

The plan is to dig out the old Southern AOC and get it going again.
There's a cheap 146 parked over by the new firies hut that could be used...

Hugh Jarse
13th May 2010, 02:54
Gidday Normasars. Hope the new job's going well! :}

Don't worry Tank. Beststate=Bestpay! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif

Boats. Would I be alllowed to borrow one on the weekends for a bit of private skiing? :D Yeah, Bloggsy. Tankengine's on the money IMHO....

See what Fat Bastard puts on your table at the next contract renewal. The QL boat drivers (your words) have accepted $125k to fly a narrow-body jet (as I mentioned yonks ago in another thread). People were all over that clause like a fat kid on a Krispy-Kreme doughnut :} (not that sooty will ever give EAA/SA jets, it's more a bargaining tool that Fat Bastard will use against YOU at Cobham)... That's how QF works.

I'll buy you a beer or 3 if I'm wrong. Capt. Claret will vouch that I'm good for it :ok::}

Capn Bloggs
13th May 2010, 03:09
Capt. Claret will vouch that I'm good for it
What, paying up when you're wrong? :ok: :} :p

Bring 'em on, I say!

Normasars
13th May 2010, 03:43
Di Vosh and Jarse

It's going swimmingly well and thanks for asking. Although spending as much time in the East as the West ATM.

Just waiting for my new purchase to arrive from the good ol' US of A

Thought I may as well enjoy myself while over yonder.

2006 23ft Chapparal 230ssi.

NOW THATS A BOAT IF WE ARE TALKING ABOUT BOATS:ok:

I know you won't be in town much Di Vosh but Jarse when over next give me a call. Catch up for dinner and a coldie.

Hugh Jarse
13th May 2010, 21:41
2006 23ft Chapparal 230ssi.

NOW THATS A BOAT IF WE ARE TALKING ABOUT BOATS :ok:Nice one, NS. We'll see what the next roster brings!

What, paying up when you're wrong? :ok: http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/badteeth.gif http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/tongue.gifNope. Just good for a drink. It'll be your shout this time, Shaggs ;):ok:

That EBA clause was a ****ty sweetener, designed to divert the troops' attention away from what was otherwise a document they normally wouldn't wipe their bums on. QF are the champions of divide and conquer. They're running out of options with the regionals, so my forecast is that Cobham will be bought into the fray as leverage between EAA and SA.

Lotsa luck, boys and girls.:ok:

YPJT
14th May 2010, 01:49
Putting E-jets or Q400s into some of those smaller ports such as Shark Bay (no one flys into Monkey Mia), Kalbarri, Carnarvon, Kalbarri etc also presents the problem of security. Jets would have to be screened immediately and turbo props from mid 2012. Even with federal assistance for capital purchase of equipment the costs to re-develop terminal facilities at these small airports would be quite high. The cost then being put on landing fees or passenger head charges.

Mr. Hat
24th May 2010, 09:02
Geraldton and Exmouth Ejets will be all over that in no time.

Would the Q400 operate out of Jandakot or PH?

higherplane
24th May 2010, 10:36
The Q400 will need some good windshield wipers if it's going to operate out of Jandakot

Nautilus Blue
24th May 2010, 11:41
Sunstate Q400 base in Perth, more DASH 8 400's on order!

Surely Q400's would be uneconomical on the GEL, ABA and ESP routes, given that they will be slowed to follow the F50 into PH? :p

Capn Bloggs
24th May 2010, 12:31
NB,
Surely Q400's would be uneconomical on the GEL, ABA and ESP routes, given that they will be slowed to follow the F50 into PH?
As a boating man, I would have thought you'd realise that the speedboats would be replacing the slowboats?! :E :)

Brasilian Bird
24th May 2010, 16:41
Geraldton and Exmouth Ejets will be all over that in no time.

And so will the cat's arse and the blue and yellow mob when the e-jet goes u/s (again) and the pax need picking up :E

drop bear ten
25th May 2010, 00:49
I think you will find some fairly limiting pavement strength issues with a few of these places eg ESP

There are capacity constraints at the Perth domestic which will require some consolidation (Read replace 115 seats with 177/180 seats on leisure route/s) An additional 53.9 % capacity for the same turnaround time and lower cost base.:ok:

topend3
26th May 2010, 02:54
Is hard to believe either ALH or EPR generate enough traffic to support competition in any case. Lets hope the government has got it right as one would think with two carriers competing over these routes life may be tough for one of them...

Chadzat
26th May 2010, 03:09
EPR definitely doesn't have enough traffic for 2 licences. Quite surprising this was in the plan. With pavement limitations you'd think a F50/Q300 would be the largest regular service.

ALH with the right fare structure could support 2 licences. Not sure of the pavement strength, but over such a short sector a Q400 wouldn't have the huge speed advantage over a F50/Q300.

Cleared Visual
26th May 2010, 12:45
On the subject of regional WA, I saw Airnorth advertising today that they are to operate their E170s to Karratha and Port Hedland from Darwin via Broome. I don't believe they are in direct competition with anyone on these sectors, but its good to see them trying to develop new routes none the less. Will contact a friend who works for them as CC tomorrow to find out about frequency.

topend3
26th May 2010, 15:59
It's 2 x weekly effective June 1, alternating between BME-KTA direct and via PHE...

Mr. Hat
29th May 2010, 01:17
And so will the cat's arse and the blue and yellow mob when the e-jet goes u/s (again)

Sounds like the old West Oz fear creeping in there. Foreigners invading our proficient land..

Capn Bloggs
30th May 2010, 02:32
Sounds like the old West Oz fear creeping in there. Foreigners invading our proficient land..
Correct, Hat. Keep out unless you have a Visa! :}

Capt Claret
30th May 2010, 08:30
QLink DH8 in YBME today & yesterday, parked on the northern side of the rwy/terminal.

Capn Bloggs
30th May 2010, 08:32
QLink DH8 in YBME today & yesterday, parked on the northern side of the rwy/terminal.
Salivating were we, Claret? :}

PS: It had to go via Halls Creek for fuel! :} :eek:

Going Nowhere
30th May 2010, 10:07
Probably didn't turn as many heads as when QLink sent a Q400 to DRW in April! :}

Capt Claret
30th May 2010, 13:44
Bloggs,

Curious yes, salivating no.

topend3
31st May 2010, 01:44
The Q400 was operating on one of those "Captain's Choice" rich people's charter tours for Qantas...

Capn Bloggs
31st May 2010, 01:51
Captain's Choice on a Crash 8? Ripped Off! :E :)

teggun
31st May 2010, 02:11
Its gotta be better than an old F27.

topend3
31st May 2010, 08:52
looks like a last minute arrangement...

QantasLink Enters Partnership with Captains Choice
Sydney, 14 May 2010

QantasLink today announced that it had entered into an agreement with leading travel provider The Captain’s Choice Tour, to commence two exclusive charters throughout regional Australia during May this year.

QantasLink Executive Manager, Mr Narendra Kumar, said QantasLink was delighted to partner with The Captain’s Choice.

“This is the first time QantasLink has entered into a charter arrangement for leisure travel, and we are very pleased that we are able to undertake this with a company of the calibre of The Captain’s Choice,” he said.

“We know this arrangement will benefit both QantasLink and The Captain’s Choice Tour, and give both of our customers the opportunity to enjoy a premium regional experience.”

Managing Director of The Captain’s Choice, Mr Phil Asker, said he was very pleased to add QantasLink to the company’s stable of charter providers.

“The Captain’s Choice has had a long standing relationship with Qantas for many years to operate capital city domestic and international charters. Now, thanks to this agreement, we are able to offer our customers charters to regional destinations using a QantasLink aircraft,” he said.

The QantasLink Captain’s Choice charters will be operated by a Dash-8 Q200 aircraft. The first of two charters will commence 16 May in Cairns, and travel through to Horn Island, Cooktown, Normanton, Winton, Longreach, Port Augusta, Broken Hill, Orange, Birdsville, Alice Springs, Uluru, Broome, Kununurra, Darwin and return along the route before ending 8 June in Cairns.

QantasLink is working very closely with Captains Choice to further develop this relationship in 2011.

QantasLink is Australia’s largest regional airline, operating about 1900 flights each week to 54 regional and metropolitan destinations.

Skystar320
1st Jun 2010, 07:01
Somehow I think that the ports of ALB & ESP would/are to big for the likes of a EMB-170 or Q400.

I'm awaiting for DJ to go into Geraldton, or Qantas to try a different route. Should be interesting.

Engineer_aus
4th Jun 2010, 15:06
Don't be surprised to see some extra 717's and RJ100's with some red tails.....

pilotdude09
5th Jun 2010, 11:21
The problem is there's only a few routes XR actually make money off. Most of them are heavily subsidised by the WA government to keep them going.

Exmouth and Geraldton are really the only 2 that would support or warrant a jet service unless QF decide to bring some Q400's over then it would open up a few of the smaller areas like Esperance, Albany, Carnarvon etc.

Will be interesting to see what comes of it.

Engineer_aus
8th Jun 2010, 11:50
Pilotdude, there is a lot more to the story. Why would the government split it all up if XR wasn't making money out of the rest of the operation?

400ER
9th Jun 2010, 10:29
Will ATC in W.A keep the Q400 at min speed cruise and descent so the E170/190 can catch up?? :ok:

topend3
9th Jun 2010, 15:14
I doubt XR run profitably to Kalbarri or Monkey Mia, but perhaps these routes are subsidised by their profitable ops on the others where they face no competition.

The danger is that towns that currently have a reasonably good air service with a sole operator will face losing that if competition is allowed over the more marginal routes. In particular, ALH and EPR. I don't think either of the councils that own those facilities want to see jets, due to the pavement issues that will be caused, and the requirement for screening. F50 or Q300 would be sufficient. But as has been pointed out, it will remain to be seen if these two ports can support two operators in the longer term...

Engineer_aus
10th Jun 2010, 02:27
currently have a reasonably good air service If you have read the local rag's They beg to differ, they can't wait until there is someone else flying into their town.

sled_driver71
10th Jun 2010, 14:23
Engineer_aus

Like most pilots, the Albany council think the grass is 'greener' on the other side. As far as I can tell Skywest are the only regional operator that offers hot meals on its services. And they are no more unreliable or off schedule then anyone else.

When the competition arrives im sure their tune will change.

Or not.....

Mr. Hat
11th Jun 2010, 00:10
Will ATC in W.A keep the Q400 at min speed cruise and descent so the E170/190 can catch up??

No Qantaslink pilots seem to be doing a pretty good job of finding min speed without the assistance of atc. Perhaps atc should monitor their speed more closely as they do get a bit slow some times especially on approach..

When the competition arrives im sure their tune will change.

It sure will they'll go from pissed off to happy.

reasonably good air service with a sole operator will face losing that if competition is allowed

Well maybe COBHAM Q400's combined with 300 200 100 for the whole contract IS the answer then. Personally I think on the smaller routes the Brasilia is the answer. It has an APU (helps in summer - something better than nothing) it is quick, it is small and it can get above 25000 feet. The "400" can't if my memory serves me correctly.

400ER
12th Jun 2010, 11:12
Mr Hat

I was unaware that QLINK pilots had a problem with airspeed on approach. Another thread mentions a stick shaker event months ago. Is this a common occurrence??

Mr. Hat
12th Jun 2010, 11:29
Just tongue in cheek I'm sure a one off with many factors behind whats reported. Back to thread - Westoz public getting competitive prices/service.

tomcat264
22nd Jun 2010, 16:00
You mean a DH8D :ok: