PDA

View Full Version : Mental Illness in Engineering

AirbusFanboy
11th May 2010, 12:11
Can anyone tell me what the situation is regarding mental illness, namely Depression in aviation maintenance engineering? I've almost finished my aeroskills trade certificate and I've been told we have to pass a full medical screening for employers. I imagine they're worried about us having an impared judgement on the work we do. I've had the condition for many years and it's controlled adequately.

harrowing
14th May 2010, 03:44
CASA now allow pilots on anti-depressants to maintain a medical certificate under controlled conditions, so I imagine you may have to jump through a few hoops, but should be OK.

gingernut
14th May 2010, 19:52
The spectrum of "mental illness" and depression is quite wide, your employability may depend on where you lie on this spectrum.

Fortunately most people lie on the "feeling a bit low" side, rather than the "psychotic" side.

Good luck and keep us updated.:)

Stu_88
14th May 2010, 21:50
The only medical I have had to d whilst being an aircraft engineer is a simple colourblind, sight ad hearing test for my airside driving license. Shouldn't worry about it too much fella :ok:

Stu

zero1
15th May 2010, 19:15
It's shouldn't be a problem, assuming it is mild condition. When I had my medical they were only interested in my eye sight etc. But if you are not sure just ask the CAA for the medical assessment paperwork.

eugene