PDA

View Full Version : Great Australian airfare rip-off

ferris
11th May 2010, 09:34
This has been mentioned before, but now it's getting worse. Much worse.
Noticed a travel blog on the Age website which mentioned it yesterday, then as I started looking for some airfares myself noticed how much worse it is becoming. I have in past years noticed an inbound fare is usually about $300 cheaper. The blog writer notes about a $200-300 difference. ie. advertised fares from the US to oz start from about $900, but switch to the other way (outbound) and they start from $1150. The Uk to oz from $1200, other way about $2050. So, now we are up to $800 different. Then yesterday; the middle east to oz $1600, other way $2750! Yes, thats right, $1150 difference! Same airline, same dates. Now, I have heard the argument that it's due to seasonal flows. Bull$hit. Pick any dates- same result. Unless a 'season' runs for 12months, it isn't due to "seasonal flows".
The blog offers the reason that it maybe due to 'what the market will bear'. I just think it is a blatant rip-off. And they are all into it.

Now, I can't find the blog. Certain advertisers unhappy about having such matters raised?

ozineurope
11th May 2010, 09:53
Hey Ferris - it is not only Oz that gets that treatment. I can find add ons for Europe out of Australia that are $100AUD but the same thing booked within Germany is 100€. Whilst not as great a difference it is still a difference.

I have heard the argument that the inbound/outbound differneces are to stimulate travel from here to home. So they dont want you to leave Oz but they want the tourists to come in. Also size of market etc etc.

But...a one way J class to Oz form here around 4000€, same journey with a return leg is 2750€ (SIA, LH) - beats me how that works!!

Also a lot is made of cheap European fares due to the market and the number of airlines - most of that is nonsense as the cheap fares are almost tripled when taxes are added. E.g. 99€ return FRA-Venice BUT the flight out is at 2230 and back in is 0830. Normal times are up to 250€. Also many LCC do not operate from airports close to where you want to go and the land travel is up to 90 minutes each way to save 20€, forget it.

Tidbinbilla
11th May 2010, 21:46
This hardly constitutes "Australian airline news".

Perhaps a cut and paste into JetBlast is more appropriate?

TID