PDA

View Full Version : ppl planes

pilotboy 95
10th May 2010, 21:56
Hi guys, hopefully going to start my ppl next year in a c172.

I want to know what other planes I can fly with a ppl because a c172 can only hold 3 people but a piper warrior can hold 4 and i think a ppl doesn't stop me flying in other planes unless of a weight restriction. what is the best plane to fly/rent if i was to take my mates somewhere with just a ppl. ( what about the Cessna Stationair ) I just want to know what other planes I can fly with a ppl.

chiglet
10th May 2010, 22:13
AFAIK, if you solo an type "A", then you have to add type "B" to your licence [by additional hours on type "B"]...hope this helps

Intruder
10th May 2010, 23:02
Dunno 'bout the UK, but in the US a PPL allows any [Single engine] prop-driven airplane below 12,500 lb max gross takeoff weight. Instructor's endorsements are required for taildraggers and complex airplanes.

You will likely be limited most by what an FBO or club is willing to rent to a low-time pilot, plus what you can afford. Generally they will rent a C172, Warrior, or other relatively simple airplane with only a simple checkout. More powerful or complicated airplanes may require more instruction and/or total time.

If you learn on a C172, a C182 will accommodate 4 people and has very similar flying qualities.

Old Fella
11th May 2010, 11:55
Cessna 172 and Warrior are both 4 place aeroplanes, i.e. Pilot + 3 Pax.

CaptainBloggs
11th May 2010, 14:27
You may be better off in the Cessna. The Warrior has a single door which is on the rhs; the C172, like its smaller stablemate the C152, hase a door on each side. Just a little more convenient, that's all. Secondly, since the Cessna has its wings above the fuselage they don't impede your passengers' view of the ground.

Learning to fly on the 2 seat C150/2 may be a cheaper option. You could always, and easily, check out on the 4 seater once you have completed your PPL. The warriors often have a slightly higher running (thus rental) cost than the C152. Of course, if this option is available than disregard my suggestion.

Good luck.

Captain Bloggs

AliB
11th May 2010, 16:29
A PPL taken in a C172 will give you an SEP rating (single engine piston) allowing you to fly any aircraft within that rating - anything with a single engine, piston (e.g not turbo prop) and no specific complexity (e.g. no retractable gear, variable pitch propeller ...). However most flying clubs will insist on a checkout (a few hours with an instructor) on any new aircraft you want to hire.

Although the C172 and PA28 have four seats you need a long runway and low fuel (and/or very light friends) to fly with four people - they are generally considered to be only practical for three.

To go four up with safety and with a decent amount of fuel will probably require a more complex type with a bigger engine and variable pitch propeller. Any significant "Differences" from the aircraft you learn on (like variable pitch, retractable gear etc) require "differences training" on top of your SEP - but this is just a few hours with an instructor and a sign off in your logbook.

A Cesna 182 for example (similar to the 172 but with a bigger engine and a variable pitch prop) can take four people and a full fuel load from most small airfields. Costs a bit more to hire but also has the added benefit of getting there faster (and the disadvantage that everything happens faster - so you need to be confident in more basic types before stepping up).

Have fun with your PPL. Try the PPRUNE private flying forum too.

(Edit: I somehow managed to miss the fact that Intruder had said most of this already - but just to confirm, it is basically the same in the UK).

Ali

Mark 1
15th May 2010, 05:30
Assuming that you're doing a JAR PPL and not an NPPL then you can fly any aircraft for which you hold the appropriate type or class rating. In principal that could include a 747, but you wouldn't be accepted onto the type rating course without a CPL and IR.
In practice, you will have an SEP class rating issued with your PPL which will allow you to fly most single engine piston aircraft including the Antonov AN2 at the top end of the range.
Converting to 6-seat singles like the Cherokee 6 or C210 isn't too big a leap for a low hour PPL.
A C172 can legally fly 4 people if within the weight and balance limits, but they would likely have to average no more than 70-75 kgs.

toolowtoofast
15th May 2010, 06:22
A 172R will easily take 4 real-world adults for a 1.5hr flight (around 150NM) with fuel reserves. An N model will do even better. Empty weight 1600 mauw 2550. That's 950lbs of meat and fuel you can carry.

WHBM
16th May 2010, 07:07
a piper warrior can hold 4
The Warrior may appear to have 4 seats, but unless it's a couple of small kids in the back you will find that you rapidly run out of maximum weight. Plus general wisdom will mean that you would want to keep a little bit of reserve from a figure demonstrated by a longserving test pilot on a brand-new aircraft.

Unless you have the funds to go out and buy your own fleet straight away, I assume you would be looking at the range of aircraft the club has available. Every club I have known has their own, very sensible, checkout procedures before you are accepted on each of the types in turn.

From one who actually flies a Warrior, I have never taken more than 2 on board, and have had some fairly long takeoff runs even so.