PDA

View Full Version : A good mate's Grandson

Rigga
10th May 2010, 21:34
I've just met an old friend and ex-colleague, in a Cambridge Car Park, who told me that his grandson has been, or is to be, awarded a Military Medal for firstly dealing with an IED under fire, and then almost immediately leading a Bayonet charge in Sanguin (his Granddads words).

As an Army WO's son, and knowing the little I do of the "lad", I can well believe this of him as he was quite the "Gung-Ho" Infantry type, even in his Teens.

Whereabouts on the MOD site can I look-up or find out about his deeds, and others?

Thanks in advance
Rigga

RotaryWingB2
10th May 2010, 22:05
You may find it listed here, along with a story if you know his name.

Ministry of Defence | Defence News | History and Honour | Operational Honours and Awards List: 19 March 2010 (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/HistoryAndHonour/OperationalHonoursAndAwardsList19March2010.htm)

Rigga
11th May 2010, 20:51
Brilliant RWB2! (are you a fairy?)

Found him - and his Short Citation - in the Military Cross section.

Now I can see/read why his granddad's so proud. And there must be so many other proud relatives of those mentioned.

Well done to all.

RotaryWingB2
11th May 2010, 21:43
No I'm not a fairy (Only vaguely know what one is) I'm a serving soldier and almost a licensed engineer.

There's some fairly normal lads, doing some fairly incredible stuff out there, we should all be very proud of them.:ok:

Which regiment did you mate's grandson serve with?

Rigga
11th May 2010, 23:27
Part 66 Cat B2 License= Avionic

From the MOD Website - all public domain:

"Lieutenant Alexander John PHILLIPS, The Royal Regiment of Scotland, Rifle Platoon Commander, Helmand Province, April - August 2009

Lieutenant Phillips has conducted nine aviation assaults since arrival in theatre. Throughout, Phillips' leadership has been exemplary. For example, his company conducted an aviation assault into the area of Yakchal to disrupt an insurgent grouping. With the break-in Platoon fixed dealing with an Improvised Explosive Device (lED), Phillips without any prompting, instinctively led one of his sections under fire to launch an assault on the compound. He gave the order to fix bayonets and led the assault through the gate, the aggressiveness and speed of Phillips' counterattack forced the insurgents to flee. He led his men fearlessly and with conviction in the face of a very real danger and he led, as ever, from the front."

x213a
12th May 2010, 00:43
A matelot would have got a better write up for sure.

Good effiort fella:ok: