PDA

View Full Version : Rotor cuff tear

5LY
10th May 2010, 12:58
I've recently been diagnosed with a rotator cuff tear. (A shoulder injury which causes pain mostly when lifting the arm out in front with palm down.) Anyone have any experience with treatment and recovery times and outcomes? Thanks, 5

Rotorhead1026
10th May 2010, 14:56
It's actually rotator cuff tear, and is fairly common among baseball pitchers and, to a lesser extent, tennis players and elite swimmers. A google search should tell you all you need - and I wonder why your doctor didn't give you more information.

In any case, your recovery depends on the severity of the injury - whether it can be treated with therapy or not. If surgery is required you can be in for a long recovery / rehab. The surgery is generally effective, though, to the point where it's (remotely) possible to return to elite athlete status after the rehab. :)

5LY
10th May 2010, 17:11
spelling corrected. Thanks

eu01
10th May 2010, 18:44
Just read a bit more (I recommend this site (http://shoulderdoc.co.uk/)).

pilotmike
10th May 2010, 21:02
I had radical Rotator Cuff Surgery 2 years ago. It was painful with a long recovery, but very worthwhile in my case. Check your PMs.

RPness
10th May 2010, 21:17
Hi,

most rotator cuff tears are being compensated by other members of this complex synergistic structure (consisting not only of over a dozen active, but also some passive structures) without making a lot of troubles. As with partial or complete ruptures of the longer part of the biceps (upper arm that is), this is often not even realized...

Make sure, that this is really a rotator cuff rupture, the sign you wrote about (pain) is only one of them. A safe diagnosis will IMHO only be done by a correct functional analysis, not by an ultrasonic imagery...

The pain you describe can (and often has) one of the many other possible problems in this area, caused by our modern lifestyle.

- Make sure it's really the rotator cuff (function analysis, second opinion)
- Try some conventional therapy. There is a good chance to overcome pain by a good physiotherapy, without the risk of surgery
- If (and only IF) there is no progress going non-surgical, make a decision for surgery. Look out for a specialiced orthopedic clinic which has loads of experience.

Surgery is painful and carries with it the risk of an infection (something you don't want to experience in your shoulder, believe me). But: done correctly it usually has a good outcome - if there is a rotator cuff rupture and if this rupture is the real cause for the pain...

Estimate at least 3-6 months for a working recovery after an operation, a full year for "full power".

Kind regards and less pain!

Peter

PS: Not a doctor, not a medical advisory