PDA

View Full Version : Applying to more than one armed force

turbulentmonkey
9th May 2010, 19:56
Does anyone know the procedure for how to apply to more than one force in the UK? I've heard of guys applying to both RAF and FAA then choosing when they pass both but is this frowned upon? i.e. does the RAF think this is commitment or does it look like you don't know what you want to do? If anyone has done this it would be good to hear.

Thanks,
monkey

OneFifty
9th May 2010, 20:52
You are allowed to have concurrent applications. As far as how to do it, well, basically, you just apply to each one.

Samuel
9th May 2010, 21:02
I think I might be a bit sceptical of the motivation of someone who couldn't figure out which service he wanted to be a part of!:rolleyes:

Farfrompuken
9th May 2010, 21:14
I think I might be a bit sceptical of the motivation of someone who couldn't figure out which service he wanted to be a part of!

erm, you're right. Sounds like they're motivated to join the military! I'd be very sceptical!

OneFifty
9th May 2010, 21:14
We get it a lot on the AFCO's and they are perfectly entitled to do it as described in the AP. Re motivation, if they stated that "All I've ever wanted to do is fly" etc etc then applying for more than one way to do it may actually be a good sign? (I'm only playing devils advocate before I get flamed!) Quite a few candidates will apply for both and take the one that offers them a slot first.

Pontius Navigator
9th May 2010, 21:29
and take the one that offers them a slot first.

Or the one that makes the better offer -

viz a 12 year commission as a warfare officer in the RN or a permanent commission as a logistics officer in the RAF to age 38.

OneFifty
10th May 2010, 17:04
PN, indeed.

turbulentmonkey
10th May 2010, 17:26
Thanks for the replies

It is an interesting one as it can be taken with two very different views - don't know what you want to do VS highly motivated to fly in the military.

My situation is that I've applied to the FAA twice. Failed aptitude tests by 3 marks first time and passed a year later even though they raised the pass mark, but subsequently failed AIB! Im at university with one year to go and working towards my PPL. I believe I have one chance left to sit aptitude testing so would obviously like to make the most of this. I am aiming to reapply after university.

My question is this: Can I sit aptitude tests once, and use these scores for dual applications?

If anyone has done this it'd be great to hear from them!

Thanks again

Foxache Radar
10th May 2010, 18:22
There are plenty of guys that do this. I applied and was accepted to 2 services concurrently. The interviewers may well ask (as they did to me) how you can want to join both, but it's most likely an attempt to put you under pressure. They will know you may want to cover your bases and at the end of the day you want to serve in the forces in trade X. Of course when asked, their particular service is of course your preferred option. I found the acceptance from one service definitely helped get an offer from the other service.

5 Forward 6 Back
10th May 2010, 19:54
Regards aptitude tests, yes you can sit them once and use the results for 2 applications.

Pontius Navigator
10th May 2010, 21:42
To follow on from the two-applications approach. If you succeed in one and have the results before you take the other, it gives you a tremendous confidence boost.

Should you not succeed at the first then take the lessons learnt and apply them to the second.

It is a win-win situation.

Aerouk
10th May 2010, 22:58
Good luck! Hopefully see you at the testing later in the year or next year :ok:

turbulentmonkey
11th May 2010, 17:55
Thanks guys, all info is really appreciated!
:ok: