PDA

View Full Version : Googleupdate.exe

G-CPTN
9th May 2010, 16:23
Now I have nothing against Google - it is my search engine of choice, and I use GoogleMaps (and, occasionally Google Earth) but I'm getting pee'd off by the constant intrusion of googleupdate.exe.
Even though I've set Spyware Terminator to block it, I keep getting messages that it has been blocked. This doesn't worry me but it will unsettle my daughter when I hand over her new computer to her.

I don't (at this stage) want to remove googleupdate.exe completely, and I have unchecked it from the startup in msconfig, but still the darn thing intrudes! :ugh:

Is it best to 'let it have its way' - or should I just uninstall it (though it will probably just keep coming back)? :confused:

(I seem to have lost the (useful) feature to highlight text and then search using right-click - no doubt as a result of disabling Google Toolbar at some stage?

And what about powercfg.exe? Is it OK to allow this free rein?

G-CPTN
9th May 2010, 17:23
Autoruns to control Googleupdate? :confused:

GGR
9th May 2010, 17:48
I reckon any .exe programmes will find a way in no matter how hard you try to block them, especially something Google-esq!! I would un-install completely and clear any attendant cookies from cache, there could be many and varied ones in there. Then up-date as required manually if poss. Computer buffs please dont roast me here just trying to offer two penneth.

GGR

MG23
9th May 2010, 18:52
Google Updater is like malware: I have to go out of my way to not install it when I install any Google software on a new Windows computer, and it's a major pain to remove if I don't. I can understand that Google want to ensure that people have the latest version of the software, but I hate having a dozen different programs all trying to run 'updaters' every time I boot up the PC. My Linux netbook takes about 45 seconds to boot to a usable desktop, whereas my Windows laptop takes more like three minutes with all this junk that's added to autorun.

srobarts
9th May 2010, 19:50
This might help:
How to Remove or Disable GoogleUpdate.exe in XP / Vista | Windows | Tech-Recipes (http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/3398/how-to-remove-or-disable-googleupdateexe-in-xp-vista/)

Keef
9th May 2010, 20:29
Snap! Been there, had the pain, got seriously vindictive with Googleupdater, and still the blighter eats up resources on my laptop.

I managed to prevent it from actually connecting to mama, but I can't for the life of me stop it running and screaming for her. I'm off to read some of the suggestions above...

green granite
9th May 2010, 20:37
I just delete it's folder from program files then run a registry cleaner.

kenhughes
9th May 2010, 23:15
Let it do its thing.

It's harmless, it keeps your Google apps, (Chrome, Maps, Earth etc), up-to-date.

green granite
10th May 2010, 07:02
It's harmless

Are you 100% sure about that? :}

Keef
10th May 2010, 08:50
I would say it's probably harmless, but I didn't invite Google to install their updater on my laptop, they didn't ask for my consent, I don't have any spare memory (I have to keep deleting my own stuff from memory) and I don't take a positive view of having stuff rammed down my little laptop's throat.

So it's for the chop. Sadly, that website tells you how to turn it off, but of course the next time you go to Google places, they turn it straight back on again (or install it again). That, to me, qualifies it as "spamware" if not worse.

What annoys me even more is that it sets off to download updates when I'm on a very slow GPRS connection (and uses up paid-for dongle time).

GGR
15th May 2010, 09:52
Ever tried to get rid of REAL player thats a real pain!

GGR