PDA

View Full Version : poss damaged eyes ?

jxc
9th May 2010, 12:01
Without going into to much detail I was attacked and and some sort of liquid thrown into my eyes smelt i thought chlorine or peroxide very blurred vision
went to hospital and they got a ph level 8 after rinsing.

My question is do I have to inform caa i hold a class one but not commercial liecence

kenparry
9th May 2010, 15:28
See the text on the back of your medical certificate. The level of licence you hold is not relevant. There are 2 items that could apply:

first: hospital or clinical admission of more than 12 hours

and a couple of inches lower down, it states that every holder of a certificate who is aware of

"any significant injury involving incapacity to function as a member of a flight crew"

must report it to the Authority in writing, and the medical certificate shall be deemed to be suspended, etc.

I'm a pilot, not a medic, but suggest that the second quote means that if there is any continuing reduction in your vision, you need to report it. If in any doubt, your AME should be able to advise you.

Bob the Doc
12th May 2010, 22:08
kenparry is correct. At the very least you should have your visual acuity checked formally to ensure it is as good as it normally is (and is at least within the minimum standards for the issue of a licence). CAA likely to advise that if your eyesight is not as good as it should be then you should not fly until it has settled down

AME or CAA medical department can give the official line

A-FLOOR
12th May 2010, 22:16
Also note that while no damage may be apparent during daytime, nighttime vision might still be affected... for example in the form of halos around bright lights. My cornea were superficially damaged in this way by an ether solution in an industrial accident.

Note that I don't hold a medical license, I'm just sharing my experience.