PDA

View Full Version : new TR question

HUSKYdriver69
7th May 2010, 17:41
hello,

I have a question as follows:

I have valid F/O JET TR and SEP(L) rating. I would like to train for a new TR for a single pilot certified multi engine jet or turboprop.
Do I need to renew my mep(l) and ir ratings to do that?

thanks!

HD

I-AINC
7th May 2010, 18:28
If your JET TR is on a multiengine I think no... But if you have a TR on a SEJ (maybe the Cirrus jet or D-jet) I think you have to remake your MEP IR...

Pilot Positive
7th May 2010, 18:29
Dont think you do as the License Skills Test you do at the end of your TR will be done as a single pilot exam - effectively revalidating your IR as an SPA IR on that aircraft type only (assuming its a SPA rated aircraft!)

The MEP is a class rating for piston only not applicable to turbine (TP or Jet). Check out Lasors below:

LASORS: LASORS 2008 | Publications | CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=1591)

There may be some local variation. If its the aircraft I think you'll be doing it on (I'm taking a huge leap of faith on this one :}) then the folks at EGLF are JAR certified?

What will you be flying? PM me if you're shy.... :)

Trim Stab
7th May 2010, 18:41
If you pass a single-pilot type-rating on a multi-engine jet, in IFR, then you will revalidate your SP IR/ME rating.

You will not simultaneously renew your MEP. You will need to do a check ride with a MEP examiner to renew your MEP - though you can do it in VFR if you wish.

If your MEP is validated with a MEP checkride, and your SP IR/ME is validated with your type-rating test on a multi-engine jet, then you can also fly a MEP in IFR as single-pilot.

HUSKYdriver69
8th May 2010, 10:22
thank for reply.

So if I have valid A320 F/O TR i can train on single pilot multi engine jet or tprop like citation or kingair?

Pilot Positive
8th May 2010, 15:53
Having a valid A320 TR is not a pre-requisite to do SPA IR on a Kingair or Citation! Having a valid fATPL(CPL MEIR)/ATPL license is - this does not mean you have to have an MEP IR! As was said above the MEP is a separate class rating and therefore you would need to do that separately.

If your TR is still valid (on whatever type) then you have a valid MPA IR. You can do the SPA training (kingair/Citation etc...) and when you do your LST for that SP aircraft your SPA IR is validated for that aircraft class. After successful completion of the LST your MEP class rating is NOT validated neither is you MPA IR. Did you check LASORS for guidance?

Another point to note, depending on your situation, is that your training on the SPA (Citation/Kingair etc..) is not a type rating but a class rating - the difference being that that aircraft class is certified for SP ops.

This means that the hours you fly multi-crew on this class aircraft (if you were to do that as well) count towards unfreezing your ATPL but cannot actually unfreeze it alone unless you have/will have a type rating i.e. completed training on an aircraft which is valid for multi-crew purposes only (which you do).

Again if you check LASORS is has a section listing all type aircraft i.e. aircraft certified for multi-crew only. If your aircraft is not listed then it is a class rated aircraft and your multi-crew hours on this class aircraft will not enable you to unfreeze your ATPL alone.

I'm sure someone could simplify these rules better than I have. :ugh: Any clues of what you'll be flying or are we just helping you with hypothesis? :rolleyes: