PDA

View Full Version : a couple of windows 7 niggles

Fun Police
7th May 2010, 17:39
hi all,
one of the most irritating things about windows and IE (and i had this in XP. too) is that when typing in a box just like this one the type will jump to wherever the mouse pointer is or above it and so if you have to look at the keyboard while typing you end up inserting text in text that is previously written. very annoying! is there a way to stop it? i use a laptop and a net book with a mouse pad but i am careful about keeping my chubby fingers away from it.
another thing with IE in windows 7 that is strange is that if i am looking for a phone number on a website (contact us page) the phone number does not display. fax numbers are fine and all other text, too. it does display for an instant after the page loads but it is way too fast to either dial or write down so one has to keep refreshing the page in order to record the number.
has any one else had problems such as these?
thanks in advance :ok:
FP

mixture
7th May 2010, 17:52
Sounds like you've taken issue with IE auto-complete. Easy to disable, have a poke around the privacy options in IE.

green granite
7th May 2010, 18:11
My wife's laptop had the same problem, found a setting that disabled the touch-pad while typing, that more or less cured the problem. Or alternately, as you're using it with a mouse, turn the touch pad of using the appropriate function key.

As for the phone number problem I've no idea as I've just tried it and it works ok for the sites I tried, post the URL and I'll try it from here. (I almost never use IE )

Fun Police
7th May 2010, 18:17
thank you, gents! i have tried your suggestions and now phone numbers have been displayed after searching for a local auto parts supplier through google. the cursor did jump once while typing this, but only once so far. i'll try to decrease the pad sensitivity another notch (could not find a "disable while typing" setting) and see if that helps.
go pprune!!
FP