PDA

View Full Version : ICAO/IATA airport list

beardy
7th May 2010, 16:06
This may possibly the wrong place to ask, but....

Can anybody point me in the direction of a compact ICAO/IATA airport list that is searchable off-line (UBUNTU netbook remix)

mixture
7th May 2010, 16:32
Let me google that for you (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=icao+7910)

beardy
7th May 2010, 17:00
mixture,

thank you for your efforts, I spent the day doing that and found nothing suitable. I was hoping that one of us would have had a similar requirement and may already have the answer.

Loose rivets
7th May 2010, 17:27
One is intrigued. How did you do that?

Thinks, Google "Delightfully sarcastic look-up." :}

mixture
7th May 2010, 17:42
beardy,

Big hint is in the word "ICAO".

I believe you'll find it's a regularly updated document, published by the aforementioned. Through the Google search provided, find your way to the ICAO website with your credit card and the list is all yours.

No doubt there are many other sources ..... Wikipedia being one, no doubt .... however, for the latest and greatest, ICAO are the people to know.

:cool:

mixture
7th May 2010, 17:44
Loose rivets,

Quite easy sir. :cool:

Go to lmgtfy dot com. Enter the text you want the searchee to search for and hit the button they should be pressing (i.e. search or "feeling lucky")

A short URL will then be created for you to copy and paste as desired.

Only found out about the site recently, but it is quite fun (and useful !) :ok:

beardy
7th May 2010, 18:26
Perhaps I was being imprecise.

When I am over foreign parts the Nav Display shows me ICAO coded airfields, when my company sends me a roster they put airfields in IATA. . I want to whip out my netbook and quickly decode the ICAO coding (I know the Jepps will do it for me, but not quickly,) the IATA bit isn't strictly necessary, but is a luxury I have been used to (that is comparing ICAO to IATA.) The clue was in off-line, the company won't give me a satellite connection to search, whilst airborne. I have a windows utility that does that for both ICAO and IATA, but it won't run under WINE on UBUNTU.

Mixture thank you for your efforts, the route you recommend is not unknown to me, indeed it is one I considered, but is not what I am looking for. I assume that you don't know of anything else that would help?

Eddie_Crane
7th May 2010, 18:35
If it helps, I have a list of ICAO airport IDs (no IATA) with their "plain English name" and some gates lat/long, plain text file. It came with an old OLD 747 PC sim (called Aerowinx PS1) and only has airfields that take will take the 74.
I guess it's not much, but if you want to have a look, more than happy to email the file to you...

C

le Pingouin
8th May 2010, 04:26
Try Google again: icao iata codes list download

The Partow & OpenFlights links look useful - text based comma separated files.

beardy
8th May 2010, 07:38
le Pingouin,

thanks for that, my netbook is not as adept at handling the list as I would like, so I have tabulated it, turned it into a .pdf which works neatly for the search function.
Cesco, thanks for the kind offer.

le Pingouin
8th May 2010, 14:47
Conversion to PDF is one way of handling it :)

Both the Patrow & OpenFlights worked okay for me when viewed with gedit - I did turn off the word wrap though. You could tidy things up by stripping out any data fields not wanted.

Torque2
9th May 2010, 10:36
Ready use decodes available (IATA and ICAO) in the jeppesen route supplement if you have it on board.
I'm sure there is an easy way of transferring that to whichever application you wish to use.