PDA

View Full Version : Miami and USA entry requirements

Dutchman
7th May 2010, 06:21
Got a trip coming up from Europe to Miami int KMIA. Its been a while again so any latest tips and info would be highly appreciated.:ok:
USA entry/customs will be done in Miami other than eAPIS what other things/latest regulations are there to watch out for? All pax+crew have visas so no need for visa waiver program.
Also I remember in Miami Int they have a separate customs ramp to taxi to before going to FBO. This still the procedure or have they come up with some other construction to make life complicated?
Last the most important any good restaurant/bar tips? last time went to a joe stones crab shack on south beach very good.
My thanks in advance:)

ericthepilot
7th May 2010, 09:57
MIA Customs in in front of the Signature ramp. Both are on the North side of the field.
All luggage must come of for screening. Passengers can leave from the Customs building to go meet their transportation. You will get towed back to Signature (pay) after clearing or start engines and taxi to Signature, less then 200 meters, but required to get of the Customs ramp.
If EAPIS is correct and no changes clearing goes very quickly. Have a printed copy of your EAPIS report with all Pax and Crew details with you, and you confirmation number.

Miami South Beach is a great place to stay. Hotel Mondrian is on the west side of the SB, and has great drinks, girls and sunsets. Ocean Blv is the usual madhouse, and on the weekends traffic does not move.

ed1016nw
7th May 2010, 10:02
Customs ramp is in front of Signature, calkl beforehand and they will send van for pax and tug to reposition a/c. Be prepared to tote all luggage through customs, all catering to be binned at customs ramp. I have never had a bad experience at Mia customs. Enjoy South Beach.
Edward

ed1016nw
7th May 2010, 10:07
:eek::eek:oops sorry erich time lapse !!

ericthepilot
7th May 2010, 10:19
No worries, the force, the something ... intertwined .....

:p

Check 6
8th May 2010, 00:29
In addition to e-APIS, you must telephone in advance with your ETA, number of pax, citizenships, aircraft type and registration. Here is the guide listing the airports of entry, hours, phone numbers. (http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/travel/pleasure_boats/private_flyers/private_flyers_guide.ctt/private_flyers_guide.pdf)

If your aircraft is not N registered you may need a TSA exemption unless coming from Canada, Bermuda, Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Mexico, or the British VI AND your aircraft is registered to one of these countries/colonies.

Without the TSA exemption you will not be allowed to enter US airspace unless you departed one of the entry countries. This is a stupid rule and is a carry-over from 9/11, but our government never rescinds rules because of the jobs-worths. e-APIS was to replace this requirement.

Lastly, you must have a Customs decal on your aircraft (valid for one calendar year). It must be applied for on-line and it is sent by post. Link to obtaining a decal. (http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/pleasure_boats/user_fee/)

The TSA Border Overflight Exemptions can be obtained on-line here (https://waiver.c3.faa.gov/) or through Universal, Jeppesen, etc.

hawker750
8th May 2010, 15:07
TSA Waiver
Are you 100% sure you do not need a TSA waiver for a non N reg aircraft arriving in the USA from Canada?
So a G reg aircraft can go to States from the UK via Canada without a TSA waiver?

Check 6
8th May 2010, 16:31
My apologies, I was having a senior moment. Those exceptions only apply to aircraft registered to those countries/colonies.

A TSA waiver is required and may be obtained here:

https://waiver.c3.faa.gov/

I edited/corrected my post above.

ericthepilot
8th May 2010, 19:08
You can apply for the Customs sticker online. If you however have not received it prior to your departure, you can show the receipt of your online purchase at the CBP Officer at the time of inspection and you can be processed for entry to the USA.

Good Luck

con-pilot
8th May 2010, 19:11
You can apply for the Customs sticker online. If you however have not received it prior to your departure, you can show the receipt of your online purchase at the CBP Officer at the time of inspection and you can be processed for entry to the USA.

That is correct, I had to do just that once.

Dutchman
8th May 2010, 20:01
Thanks everyone for great info:ok: and for refreshing my gray matter on a few items. Always tricky after a year from last puddle jump and with new regulations popping up it seems daily.
Hopefully now a volcano will stop causing havoc across the N. Atlantic and all my ETOPS airports so I can actually go ahead and make the flight:{