PDA

View Full Version : JAA and South Africa

FO_Reckoner
6th May 2010, 22:17
hello guys, I'm planning on studying aviation in South Africa, however just today a guy I met who is a pilot here in Egypt where I live, told me that the ground school in south africa follows the JAA syllabus and it's known for being very difficult when it comes to theoretical exams, and he advised me to go for an FAA license, now I don't mind if the JAA exams are reasonably harder to pass if it's gonna require a bit more studying, I'm quite ready for that, but he described as extremely difficult, he got me worried again, after I was almost set for south africa, any information about the subject would be of so much help guys, thank you.

J'Meister
7th May 2010, 05:26
Dear FO_Reckoner,

SA certainly does not follow the JAA syllabus, but neither the FAA one. It can probably be best described as somewhere inbetween...a unique ICAO syllabus that is widely recognized.

I can assure you it is not as detailed as the JAA syllabus, BUT it does require some serious studying.

With a little bit of input, no problem to pas at all.

In any case, nothing to worry about, we look forward to welcome you in SA.

Best of luck.

welliewanger
7th May 2010, 07:11
The JAA exams aren't easy... nor should they be! The FAA exams are easier and the question bank is smaller (so it's easier to learn the answers!)
Most FAA graduates go on to smaller aircraft for a few years (light twins / turboprops / regional airlines) which arguably don't require as much knowledge initially, so you "learn on the job". Conversely in JAA land it's common for graduates to go straight into the right seat of a 737/A320 so more theoretical knowledge is required.

Where do you want to end up flying? Which license is most useful in that part of the world?

paco
7th May 2010, 07:40
The South Africans certainly have an official copy of the JAA Question Bank

Phil

FO_Reckoner
7th May 2010, 07:51
Thank you guys for your inputs, so J'Meister (http://www.pprune.org/members/255616-j-meister) is it safe to say that passing exams on first trial is not that uncommon? my main issue with that apart from the extra costs is the time the whole thing will take, that guy I met told me it will take 2 years to finish your CPL there (starting from zero), which is totally unacceptable for me, I need to finish the whole thing in one year max, is that achievable in SA in general? thank you guys for the fast responses by the way.

FO_Reckoner
7th May 2010, 10:05
so @welliewanger (http://www.pprune.org/members/131307-welliewanger) I'm planning to work where I live, Egypt, so either way I will end up converting my license and I don't think it really matters if it's JAA or FAA to the egyptian CAA.

welliewanger
7th May 2010, 10:31
Very few people complete the full JAA "Frozen ATPL" in a year. Even the full time integrated courses take a little over a year. Modular will take longer than integrated and unless the SA school is well geared up for JAA stuff it's just another potential hurdle which could make it take longer.

Here's some graphs on ground school pass rates:
FTE Jerez: Ground School Results (http://www.ftejerez.com/news/ground_school_results.php)

Self study this will take 6 months to a year. I'm sure other people have done it in less, but this is a guideline figure. If you go to a residential course you could do it in 3 months (maybe). Alternatively you could just learn all the questions in about 2 months!

J'Meister
7th May 2010, 12:56
Certainly not uncommon at all to pass them all the first time round.

Two years for a CPL....no, not true! On a full time basis you can do it in between 12-16 months....FULL TIME!!

FO_Reckoner
8th May 2010, 16:24
thank you sir.

jbayfan
10th May 2010, 08:11
The SACAA CPL exams can be passed in less than four months. Look for a school with a full-time experienced CGI and don't just go for the cheapest school. You get what you pay for. Google flight training in South Africa and you will get a list of the top schools there.

Clintonb
12th May 2010, 18:14
im in the same boat as FO im looking into schools here in the states but also in south africa i want to get a JAA/JAR license but i have heard that doing your training there its not really highly noticed overseas as the training is not top notch. so if somebody wants to get their JAA say at 43air school or progress etc would it still be fine to go over to europe and work there they wouldnt look down on it.
i and im guessing also FO, wanting JAA as its highly regarded all over the world.

so if anybody has any input would be great.
would love to do it in south africa as i have family there but if doing the training there is not regarded as top notch compared to europe then id rather go back to europe or do the training in the states and pay extra 15k to convert it.

safe flying

birdlady
13th May 2010, 21:30
Clinton,

Whoever told you that South Africa is not a top training place is seriously smoking their own socks. I would hazard a guess that this person is either working for an expensive European school or has just recently trained there and now has to justify the ridiculous expense in this present economic climate. South Africa no longer has any JAA accredited schools but this does not mean it is any less good. I am familiar with both systems and found the south african training to be far superior. Plus much much cheaper and far more user friendly. :ok::ok: