PDA

View Full Version : Planefinder

WOD-DET-DVR
6th May 2010, 12:05
Have just got the above app on my iphone which is interesting and fun to look at on a sunny day. Can anyone explain why it does not show most exec jets and regional jets/turboprops?
Curious,

WOD-DET-DVR

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
6th May 2010, 14:19
I am not familiar with that application but presumably it derives it's info from SBS or other "enthusiasts radar". For the aircraft position to display they must be transmitting ADS-B and many do not - especially Biz Jets but also Military aircraft, light aircraft, older aircraft and others.

chevvron
6th May 2010, 16:26
Acksherley I think you'll find most bizjets do carry it, plus about 50% of those private aircraft which carry transponders.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
6th May 2010, 17:57
OK T.... I believe the biz jets switch it off for "commercial reasons". Bizarre but apparently true. In 3 years of watching SBS I have only seen a handful of biz jets operating into Farnborough, for example. Most operate in "stealth" mode!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
6th May 2010, 17:59
OK T.... I believe the biz jets switch it off for "commercial reasons". Bizarre but apparently true. In 3 years of watching SBS I have only seen a handful of biz jets operating into Farnborough, for example, transmitting ADS-B. Most seem to operate in "stealth" mode!

Leeus
22nd May 2010, 07:54
Just noticed that they also have planefinder.net - Real Time Air Traffic - Now with Volcano ash cloud (http://planefinder.net)

It is free on my PC!