PDA

View Full Version : Eye Cataract Surgery

BroomstickPilot
6th May 2010, 07:02
Hi Guys,

I am pushing 70.

For a few years, I have had a developing cataract at the side of the lens of my left eye. Up until recently, I was not in the least aware of it and could fly without even noticing it.

However, recently it became worse and is now beginning to blur the vision of my left eye.

My optician says it is not yet sufficiently bad as to make it desirable that I should stop flying, but now a cataract operation is very definitely on the horizon.

Has anybody please had this operation and can advise, and are there any particular aviation licensing 'gotchas' that I need to watch out for?

Regards,

Broomstick.

Loose rivets
6th May 2010, 14:56
I don't know about the flying side, but following a PVD, I had a sudden onset cataract which caused quite a few problems as it matured. Mine was in the centre and triggered multi-lensing - the brain trying to see round it, switching between possible routes. Very disorientating.

I was told that where you have it done can be chalk and cheese, some people having the need for substantial correction after the op. I had mine done in Texas and was disappointed to find that to get 20/20 I needed specs, but it seems that I was very lucky in comparison to some folk, the correction is very small, and most times I can do without correction.

So, researching just who will do this, and putting pressure on to get an accurate prescription is, I think, important.

(I was unable to have free medicine in the UK due to being out of the country too much - they obviously needed to save the money for people that have never paid into the system):*

gingernut
6th May 2010, 21:08
The operation seems to be tolerated well by many of your age and senior-and the results can be startling.

Can't forsee any issues flying, apart from the immediate post-op period, where air bubbles may cause an issue. I'm sure the CAA will give you more info.

What do you mean by "flying."

(Applying for class1, renewing class1, class2 or passenger?)

6th May 2010, 21:57
Successful cataract surgery, per se, is not a barrier to class 1 or 2. Two points to bear in mind. Your surgeon may suggest a multifocal intraocular lens - probably only availably privately - and laser treatment may be offered postoperatively to sort out any need for specs.
The CAA may have a view on these points and if appropriate you should check with them.

DX Wombat
6th May 2010, 22:48
I'm about to have a centrally placed one done and contacted the CAA to find out the rules/regulations/recommendations for flying post-op. Apparently there used to be a three months period ban on flying solo but this has been reduced to six weeks provided you have a satisfactory result from the surgery. My AME suggested that I do not inform the CAA until I had actually had the surgery done rather than informing them of the proposed date for the op.
In the UK the old idea of leaving a cataract to "ripen" has now (or should have) been discontinued and the criterion for operation is that it interferes with your normal daily life including leisure activities.

Kotuku
7th May 2010, 03:46
Hi,

I have been investigating a new Surgery technique, called L.A.L. Eye Surgery, being performed by a top UK eye surgeon Mr. Bobby Qureshi. It is not cheap at a quoted 3,000 pounds per eye and for both eyes to be done, it takes about 6 weeks for everything to be completed. If you Google LAL Eye Surgery, you will find it there. It looks very promising and I would be interested if anybody else knew more info on this procedure. It replaces your present lens with a new silicone type lens, which is then 'adjusted' by a special light laser, that sets the eye to something like 20/20+ vision forever, negating the need for glasses.

Cheers

BroomstickPilot
7th May 2010, 05:55
Many thanks, Guys, one and all. This has all been valuable and encouraging information.

Gingernut, my flying hitherto has all been private flying, although I sometimes think of getting a CRI.

Regards,

Broomstick.