PDA

View Full Version : Etihad Airways Expatriate Cadet Pilot Programme 2010/2011?

FlyingRubber
6th May 2010, 06:34
It has been a while since there was any news on the programme. Last I heard was that the batch that was successful in the selections last year is still currently waiting in the holding pool to commence on their training at Horizon.

Does anyone here have any idea if Etihad will continue with the programme and begin selections for another group of international cadets soon? The airline industry is recovering relatively fast, despite the Icelandic ash-clouds setback, and Etihad especially is still in rapid expansion mode.

Wannabes like myself are keeping our toes and fingers crossed for the announcement inviting candidates to submit applications. There's hardly any other airline that offers the opportunity of a fully-sponsored ab-initio programme, especially for non-nationals.

Really hoping the programme has proven to be a great success for the airline with top quality captain materials graduating from the previous batch. Then we'll all get a greater chance as Etihad will recruit more cadets as a result!

Hope someome in the know will shed some light on this!

ZS-PTU
10th May 2010, 15:18
FlyingRudder, I'm afraid there is still 2 groups in the holding pool. One group contains just a few people, and the other about 10. These people are still due to commence their training around the beginning of 2011. As such, I doubt the assessment days would start up again until at least Q4 2010. I believe it's all due to aircraft order delayed as a result of the recession, which has put the program back a year.

FlyingRubber
12th May 2010, 09:00
Finally! Thank you so much for your much-needed reply. I'm hoping the guys in the current pool start training earlier then, so the airline can start holding assessments for new cadet pilots! I wonder how the response will be like once this is announced. I'd give anything to get a seat in the assessments, and all my life to fly for Etihad!

Grass strip basher
12th May 2010, 09:38
"give anything to get a seat in the assessments, and all my life to fly for Etihad! "

Have you ever been to Abu Dhabi/UAE???.... if so you are one sick puppy if you would give anything to live there! Some folks just seem to have no idea... :rolleyes:

FlyingRubber
12th May 2010, 11:15
I definitely understand where you're coming from. From the multitudes of complaints, moans, groans, b@@ching coming out of the sandpit (UAE, AUH and EY in particular), I am more than aware of the pitfalls of working there.

But you see, I am not a type-rated qualified intrepid flying man who can pick and choose which airline to fly for. I am but a mere expired PPL holder who can't even afford to be current. Granted, Etihad is far from perfect, but is there any airline at all that's ideal as a whole? (Last I heard, Varsity Express isn't hiring anymore)

Of all the options available, this is the holy grail for the likes of myself. I can't afford P2F. And other than CX, no other airline offers an international cadet pilot programme open to anyone from Bolivia to Mozambique.

I am aware that I sound like a starry-eyed, green-eared, dumb wannabe when I declared that, but that's how I feel now. It puzzles me why current A320 drivers in the airline moan about their crazy schedules - they're being paid to do what many PAY to do after all right? However, in time, the fatigue will get to me, if I ever get in that situation. Till then, I'd just be grateful be selected.

I'm sure many will understand my opinion. And I certainly do respect yours.

FlyingRubber
20th May 2010, 12:05
Hi all!

So nobody has any idea at all if the programme is still open to international candidates? Or is it now exclusively Emirati still at this stage?

daman0487
20th May 2010, 12:10
Yes, it'll be nice to know. I'm really kicking myself for having missed the boat last year. It is a very long shot though. But at least, it provides a chance.

SW1
20th May 2010, 12:22
If you look on Etihad Careers website it states only UAE nationals..

ZS-PTU
20th May 2010, 17:04
Until the current international batch start, or at least have a confirmed start date, I very much doubt international applications will be accepted. As I said before, this is due to be around the beginning of next year.
I wouldn't lose hope; i'm pretty confident international recruitment will start up again next year.

FlyingRubber
21st May 2010, 02:27
Thank ZS-PTU for your informative AND encouraging post! So I guess it boils down to the current batch starting training first before any new selections take place? Any idea when they will know their start date? I've been rather hopeful that things will be brought forward since the world economy and aviation industry have been recovering nicely earlier this year, but I guess things have started looking uncertain again.

Nonetheless, it takes 2 years to fully train a cadet. And it's highly probable the world would have recovered almost fully by then and the airline will need that many A320 drivers during that period. Oh well, here's to hoping.

EY18
21st May 2010, 17:21
@FlyingRubber
Thank ZS-PTU for your informative AND encouraging post! So I guess it boils down to the current batch starting training first before any new selections take place? Any idea when they will know their start date? I've been rather hopeful that things will be brought forward since the world economy and aviation industry have been recovering nicely earlier this year, but I guess things have started looking uncertain again.

Nonetheless, it takes 2 years to fully train a cadet. And it's highly probable the world would have recovered almost fully by then and the airline will need that many A320 drivers during that period. Oh well, here's to hoping

I'm in the holding pool waiting to start... but I don't have great hopes. They've messed me and the others around so much... we've been given tentative start dates several times. I wouldn't be surprised if they reject us next year and announce that the international scheme is cancelled.

The airline is losing money left right and centre, they're cutting back in all areas of business (ask any Etihad pilot) and the LAST thing they need is more cadets. It was a crazy idea in the first place, cleverly designed to allow friends and family of their executives to become pilots at someone else's expense. You just have to take a look at some of the current cadets... failing exams, getting drunk every weekend, no motivation, taking it as a free ride with no real passion... there are some people who no way in hell should be there... of course there are some genuine people too, but it seems they were chosen to avoid the whole scheme from looking like a sham.

As for the world economy recovering, don't make me laugh. The Eurozone is collapsing, airlines are losing money everywhere, the Middle East has no growth, Etihad has pushed back aircraft deliveries for a reason... boasting about 95% load factors sounds impressive, but if 20% of those on board are not paying for their ticket...

Under James Hogan's leadership, the airline will never succeed. Sponsoring the Irish Hurling team... hello? Who the hell cares about a curling team, and why does a Middle Eastern airline from 3500 mile away want to sponsor them?? Talk about a colossal waste of money.

Happy Wanderer
22nd May 2010, 10:50
Have you ever been to Abu Dhabi/UAE???.... if so you are one sick puppy if you would give anything to live there! Some folks just seem to have no idea...

My thoughts entirely....

HW

FlyingRubber
23rd May 2010, 03:40
To tell you the truth, I have gone to the Middle East before, including the UAE. It is a very different (and rather harsh) environment than what we are used to definitely, but it isn't all that bad. There are pointless bits like all those opulent projects in Dubai and all those prestige projects all over the region that will most likely be the whitest of white elephants in years to come.

I am aware that life is tough in the Middle East. Workers' rights do not exist, most things are run by diktat, and it is the only place where one can find a Dickensian debtors' prison in existence. I do not hanker to have an opportunity in a Middle Eastern airline with eyes wide shut.

But I hope you see that our opinions differ based on our situations, and it's all relative. I'm sure those currently in the holding pool are unsure and rather frustrated because things are currently fluid and nothing is certain or set in concrete for them yet. But relative to my position, the holding pool is still the Holy Grail. This is especially for those who can't afford to P2F or have any other options at all to fly 'shiny jets' (I wouldn't mind if they have a bit of dust and grime on them, honestly).

Yes, there WILL be those who are in for the wrong reasons. But as surely as cream rises, bad milk will stink up the whole room sooner or later! Some are already struggling to finish their course and those who scrape through, will definitely be shown up as things progress. As a matter of fact, those currently in the programme or holding pool based purely on merit should relish the situation, because they're the ones who can improve on the success of the programme (and the standing of the decision-makers who selected them!).

I guess things aren't as simplistic as they are, but there's no harm to be optimistic too. There are thousands of ready-minted A320 drivers desperate for a job out there but if I remember correctly, the cadet programme was ALSO (if this wasn't an afterthought) conceived because the airline wanted to have control about the quality of their future pilots. Not to mention the ability to lock them up for at least 7 years' bond, what with the A320 schedule less than ideal and the turnover on that type being very high.

I've spoken too much. I'm but a wannabe hoping for assessments to commence once again. And I really, really hope they will be soon.

sufffus
25th May 2010, 05:56
I agree with FlyingRubber. I am aware that things look a bit shaky at the moment but I do hope things will proceed as scheduled. Anyways, good things DO come to those who wait patiently.

EY18
8th Jun 2010, 09:18
Looks like the programme is cancelled guys :)

RunSick
8th Jun 2010, 09:21
And why do you put a smiley face next to that info?

EY18
8th Jun 2010, 09:32
Sarcasm? :ugh:

Bravo Papa
9th Jun 2010, 00:47
And you would know this how?

Ireland105
10th Jun 2010, 10:50
Yes definitely off, I have heard from a senior inside source. Announcement to be made in the near term. Trust me, you are better off without it. Get a real job, like working in financial services or engineering.

Bravo Papa
10th Jun 2010, 13:58
So I guess that would mean Etihad aren't doing any further cadet recruiting.. What about those who have already been recruited and are waiting on a start date? Is Etihad going to scrap what they've already spent on them and send them packing too?

EY18
10th Jun 2010, 15:12
So I guess that would mean Etihad aren't doing any further cadet recruiting.. What about those who have already been recruited and are waiting on a start date? Is Etihad going to scrap what they've already spent on them and send them packing too?

Yes, we are being sent packing :ok: :D

:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Bravo Papa
12th Jul 2010, 01:30
Well if you choose to lose all hope based on rumours you hear on PPRuNe and trash-talk Etihad based on those rumours then they're probably better off without you...Same goes for the one starting the rumours, all I've heard is the complete opposite, so don't know where your "Inside sources" and "facts" are coming from!

As for Etihad only choosing Nationals, Pilots sons and family members, I know quite a few people who got in to the program and don't fall in to a single one of those categories... So again, wrong! :=

SuperJet
10th Nov 2010, 21:58
Hi all,

This is out there for anyone, but aimed at Bravo Papa and EY8 a bit more than others.

I have seen that Etihad are still offering this Expat Sponsorhip deal, and, so simply to avoiding missing out just in case, I have applied for it...

From those with a little inside knowledge or contacts, or those in a hold pool, the first thing I want to find out is simply what is the usual lead time from applying (assuming youre successful) to hearing back from them? I am not assuming they will come running, especially if there are hold pools in existence and people being turned down after reaching hold pools, but, we each takes our chances, don't we...?

As for people hammering the Middle East, I have lived in 3 GCC states in my life, and would happily return there anytime over staying in the so-called "developed western" European states... I have my reasons...

Anyway, best of luck to all, and I hope some more insight is forthcoming...

Bravo Papa
11th Nov 2010, 00:54
I have seen that Etihad are still offering this Expat Sponsorhip deal, and, so simply to avoiding missing out just in case, I have applied for it...

Good work! If you didn't apply for it you would be missing out. Right? What's the "just in case" about?

the first thing I want to find out is simply what is the usual lead time from applying (assuming youre successful) to hearing back from them?

Last time around it was about 7 months from applying to receiving the details for Stage 1, however, this time is already different as we only had to send an email saying we'd like to apply, not a CV etc like they are asking for this time, so who really knows how it will work or how long it will be before you hear!?

From what I've heard they need a lot of pilots over there and the guys in the hold pool right now are not far from, or already have been called up to start. Guess they'll need another hold pool right?

By the way, 36 expat cadet pilots graduated in the last couple of months so I think they've got some space for more!

Stallone
11th Nov 2010, 03:49
well, i thought speculated number is 12?

Bravo Papa
11th Nov 2010, 06:16
12 for what? How many they are recruiting?

I didn't mention anything about how many they are recruiting, wouldn't know, but I did read an article saying 36 had graduated, as in, finished flight training..

Moshiwan
11th Nov 2010, 19:13
check the website as they r calling for applicants for this.all you need to send is a current cv.

hannahjane
13th Nov 2010, 11:17
Hi all, im a 23 year old female from the uk and ive applied for this scheme. Ive been dying to start to training for ages but funding etc has proved rather difficult to obtain so this seems like the perfect solution. I also heard the number "12" floating around with regards to the number of cadets they will be taking on, but i guess if we dont apply we dont have any chance!!...im hoping they get back to us all soon becuase the waiting is driving me nuts! i wish luck to all who have applied and i may see some of you at stage one in the uk at some point with any luck!!!

flight111
14th Nov 2010, 18:31
I am also waiting for a call for the UK assessment. Its just a rumour that they recruit only '12' but we have to wait until the day comes to know the exact number. Meanwhile apply for cathay pacific cadet program if u havnt done so and try lufthansa cadet scheme if u know German language,unfortunately i don't :{..If luck favours will meet u on the day of assessment. Good luck from manchester.. :ok:

dublinaviator
14th Aug 2011, 20:40
Under James Hogan's leadership, the airline will never succeed. Sponsoring the Irish Hurling team... hello? Who the hell cares about a curling team, and why does a Middle Eastern airline from 3500 mile away want to sponsor them?? Talk about a colossal waste of money.

Sorry to bring up an old thread here but I had to respond to this. You are some ignorant fool.

First of all Etihad sponsor the Hurling Championship (which comprises of 13 of Ireland's 32 counties), not the "Irish Hurling team". And who the hell cares about hurling you ask? Most people in Ireland as it is one of the biggest sports in this country, which is now one of Etihad's most important destinations because of how much revenue they generate on their Abu-Dhabi - Dublin route which is now operating twice daily, which in itself proves that their sponsoring of the hurling championship has paid off.

So go off and educate yourself before coming out such tripe and making a fool out of yourself.

lebanon
17th Sep 2011, 23:03
i applied a year before on their web and my application is still pending
the last email they sended

Subject Etihad Airways - please update your detailsSentdate10 April 2011
Dear .....

Your application to Etihad Airways is due to expire soon. Please ensure that you update your details in order to remain in our recruitment system.

Thank you.

Kind regards
Etihad Airways Recruitment Team

Auto Pilot
28th Sep 2011, 17:55
Hey guys

I need Some Help !

I am CPL/MEIR holder. i have applied with Etihad for Omani national.
as SO.

Next week i have I.Q Test : What kind of questions might be ?

Team Work Test : how does it going to be?

Interview : what kind of questions they might ask?

Thanks

Landflap
30th Sep 2011, 09:42
Why is Etihad being referred to as "Teahid" on a number of other forumst too. They might ask you that at the interview ?

Auto Pilot
4th Oct 2011, 12:24
i dont know .. I wrote E T I H A D but the forums changed it by itself .. Weird ..:E

broken-wings
9th Oct 2011, 08:28
Wow guys it has been a while, etihad seems to be a long shot, just leave a CV there on their site, and maybe by chance they'll open up an assessment day .... went to a flight school, here back home and they asked for 100,000$ plus (fuel costs may rise:sad:) and thats not a JAR nor FAA or GCC license:ouch: ... so ill leave this aviation dream to an HR person siting behind a desk somewhere in AUH ...

Battle Star Galatica
12th Oct 2011, 07:43
Wont it be cheaper For Ithihad to hire a fresh pilot with CPL 250 hrs/ ME/ IR?

Alzandor
15th Oct 2011, 11:28
Ok, I am getting totally confused on this, I have some friends in Oman that have also said that Etihad is doing aptitude tests for their cadet program however I cant find anything about it on their website? Is their a link?

I also keep hearing mixed reports about the demand for pilots in the middle east, some people say its saturated and there are lots of unemployed local pilots and others say that there is a huge shortage of pilots?

imran_x66
27th Jan 2012, 17:53
Any chance of Etihad resuming their international cadet pilot programme?

ozziecrew
28th Jan 2012, 11:00
no, i used to work there. for now it's only emiratis, but things can literally happen overnight and they may open it, but for the time being, no international cadets. last time they did it was march/april last year.

imran_x66
29th Jan 2012, 01:11
Thank you for you reply.
I know, I used to life in UAE and i know how things change there so rapidly.
They don't stick to their policies!