PDA

View Full Version : How does a 4/Yr Apprenticship work?

G-HALE
6th May 2010, 00:44
When a person with zero experience gains an aircraft engineer apprenticeship that is 4 years in duration with "on the job" and "off the job" experience included in the 4 years.

In this case I am talking about a B1 or a B2 Apprenticeship within Ireland(IAA(same requirments as UK CAA)).

I understand its 5 years experience to get your B1.1, B1.3 or B2 issued.
Does this mean 5 years of working on aircraft? As these apprenticeships clearly state alot of "off the job" training during the 4 years apprenticeship and can this "off the job" training be counted in the 5 year experience requirments for issue of the initial B AML?

With regards to Type rating, I understand its 6 months experience on type before you can attend your initial type rating course?

Is it possible to get a type rating issued when you apply for your first B licence after your 5 years?

Sorry for going on a bit guys but if anybody could fill me in on my questions that would be great.
Tar :ok:

AvionicsGuy
6th May 2010, 10:33
generally your apprenticeship counts as 4 years experience.
as for type courses, i have no idea, as im involved in GA

Flatface
6th May 2010, 11:07
Up here in the Great White North (Canada) to get a type rating, you do NOT need 6 months of experience on type. After all, when each type is brand new, never flown before, or maintained before, someone has to take the course and receive his type rating first, right?

Usually, the course if offered to the senior guys on station, then the manager has the opportunity to appoint someone to follow him on course. It is not often that a newly licenced individual is the first to go.

Keep in mind there are exceptions. If a new base opens and a new hire or fairly new guy transfers to that station, he could be the senior man, or the only man, and the type will be flown to that station, he may very well get the type course. Good luck.

simonchowder
6th May 2010, 12:31
Sorry not sure about the type rating requirments but i can tell you that complete a apprenticeship like that and you will be far far more attractive to any employer than the hordes of college trained "engineers " who are being churned out and could not knock a rivet down correctly to save their life (however they could talk you through the process perfectly):ugh:

longviewpilot
6th May 2010, 12:35
Bit judgemental. I know of a few who are excellent engineers.

Matt

rafo26
7th May 2010, 13:43
Two years of the four years is spent off the job,in college,where you study for the part 66 exams,then two years on the job,once the apprenticeship is completed you will only need one more year experience,three years experience on the job is all that is needed as you get two years of the five years knocked off due to doing your off the job phases in part 147 training schools,so from the start of your apprenticeship its five years in total before you can get your b1 or b2,you can do a type course straight after your four years,however you cant get it on your license till you have six months experience on type and holding your b1or b2 license