PDA

View Full Version : Zambia/Cape Verde

falcon guy
5th May 2010, 21:02
I have a friend planning a trip to these two wonderful (not) spots and is looking for any information that can be shared...thanks in advance.

hawker750
6th May 2010, 10:58
Because these 2 places do not have many Burger King Restaurants (sic), in my opinion it makes them very pleasant places to visit. Just eat the local food from the markets drink the local beer in the local bars (not the hotels), chill out and enjoy the experience, it certainly is not downtown USA (luckily)

robmcn
6th May 2010, 11:05
Try the Marlin in Lusaka, best steak I have ever eaten.

hawker750
6th May 2010, 11:13
Zambia is a great place.
Go down to Livingstone and cross into Zimbabwe and stay at the Victoria Falls Hotel.

falcon guy
6th May 2010, 12:17
Please keep the feedback coming. Any information on handling or additional hotels at eith place.

Empty Cruise
6th May 2010, 14:49
Cabo Verde is a great place, handling efficient & friendly. Only downside - you have to re-locate to the main ramp to refuel, that's as bad as it gets ;-)

Hotels will be about 15-35 min drive from airport, but handling agent will take you. Good kite-surfing and diving (incl. some of the finest cagediving N of the equator). Steady trade-wind blowing, so might not be ideal for sunbathing.

Zambia is great, deffo try Vic Falls hotel if you get the chance. IN addition to SLOPping, make sure to report on & monitor 126.9, it'll keep you out of the worst hassle and make ATCs job easier if you space & sequence yourselves :E

Enjoy the ride,
Empty

cldrvr
6th May 2010, 15:03
The thing I remember the most from Sal, was the beautiful lush grounds of the FBO and then the drive through a lunar landscape to the hotel on a point sticking out into the sea. Great surfing, some good restaurants on the newer part of the boardwalk and some fun Calypso style little bars with live music and cheap drinks. We use it as a fuelstop going down South and have only overnighted twice. I do remember having to taxi to the main terminal for fuel and if you do stay awhile button up the plane thoroughly as the dust will get into anything. We even taped up the inlets when we parked there and the dust still got in, we found red dust weeks later in all kinds of places. There is no vegetation on the island and the tradewinds have free reign. Do they still use Portuguese currency there?

Don't get suckered into the handling agent paying for your accomodation though, the markup runs into the 100's of percent.

The FBO is well organised and we have never had a major issue there, the immigration policy is a bit weird when you have to hang around for the sole immigration official to come around from the main terminal to stamp your passport, if your arrival coincides with a scheduled carrier arrival, you will have to sit and wait for quite a while. Saw some guys there last time struggling getting their internal honeybucket serviced, ours is external so no issue. As in most of Africa I would not fill up the freshwater tanks there, if you run out buy bottled water as a matter of precaution.