PDA

View Full Version : CAA closes Class G VFR in Northern Ireland

declanfogarty
5th May 2010, 11:17
yesterday they closed our class G airspace stopping all our flying club activities
Does anyone know why?
On a clear blue sky day how on earth could microscopic particles of dust( ok ash) affect an internal combustion engine

Surely your automobile will ingest far more dirt at ground level

Does anyone know of any problems with GA flying in the last 2 weeks
Or in the last 20 years

This closure is totally non evidence based and will seriously affect our club and survival

Not Amused

spikes2010
5th May 2010, 11:19
Last time i checked, if a car engine cuts out its not a major issue.
try that in a plane??

corsair
5th May 2010, 11:25
Suprised to hear that, bad news indeed and a definite overreaction. Piston engines have a nice filter last time I looked and in any case having flown through the ash clould recently. It's not a place you would want cruise through for any length of time. The smell alone is enough to drive you away. Let's hope the IAA have more sense.:ugh:

declanfogarty
5th May 2010, 11:29
yesterday was a 30k blue sky viz day
thats another thing completely

Mad As A Mad Thing
5th May 2010, 12:01
Granted, my automobile may well be ingesting more ash than your aircraft, but as i'm usually restricted to not above 2ft on the QFE I wouldn't anticipate any difficulty in returning it safely to the ground in the event of engine failure.

declanfogarty
5th May 2010, 12:04
they have only restricted Turbine aircraft
Wish the CAA would follow

Q) EISN/QWWXX/IV/NBO/W/000/660/5313N01035W250
B) FROM: 10/05/05 05:51C) TO: 10/05/05 12:00 EST
E) OPERATORS ARE ADVISED THAT VOLCANIC ASH MAY BE ENCOUNTERED THROUGH OUT THE SHANNON FIR/UIR NOTA AND SOTA. DETAILS OF ASH CLOUD ACTIVITY ARE OUTLINED IN SHANNON SIGMETS AND ALSO DISPLAYED ON CHARTS WHICH CAN BE VIEWED ON THE UK MET OFFICE (VAAC) WEBSITE AND/OR THE CFMU NOP PORTAL. ANY PILOT FLYING IN THE SHANNON FIR/UIR NOTA OR SOTA IS STRONGLY REQUESTED TO REPORT ANY ENCOUNTER WITH VOLCANIC ASH AS SOON AS PRACTICABLE TO THE IRISH AVIATION AUTHORITY BY THE OCCURRENCE REPORTING SYSTEM. THIS INFORMATION MAY ASSIST RELEVANT BODIES TO PREDICT MORE ACCURATELY THE PRESENCE MOVEMENT AND ALTITUDE OF THE VOLCANIC ASH AND ANY EFFECT ON FLIGHT. INDICATIORS OF THE PRESENCE OF VOLCANIC ASH INCLUDE REDUCED VISIBILITY AND A SMELL OF SULPHUR. ANY SIGNIFICANT ASH DEPOSITIS ON AIRCRAFT ON THE GROUND THAT HAVE NOT FLOWN DURING THE PERIOD OF VOLCANIC ASH ACTIVITY SHOULD ALSO BE REPORTED TO THE IAA.LOWER: SFC
UPPER: FL660

declanfogarty
5th May 2010, 12:09
or do you just drive a car

eagleflyer
5th May 2010, 12:55
What about flying gliders these days? Too dangerous because of the ash affecting the laminar airflow or what?? What about balloons?