PDA

View Full Version : Heart and lung transplant

mach78
25th May 2000, 22:09
I remember a few tears back an RAF aircraft being involved in a mid-air collision with a Cessna 150 over Wales.
Very sad, however what totally surprised me was that the RAF pilot had had a heart and lung transplant.Must point out this had absolutely no bearing in the tradgedy, however what was of interest that the RAF were to be admired for this progressive outlook.
Would this I have always wondered be allowed in the commercial world?
Why a heart AND lung transplant?is it any easier to trasplant both, or were both required?
Sorry if this is a bit too medical, bit none the less interesting subject.

Ham Phisted
26th May 2000, 00:12
Not that enlightened. If I remember correctly, the accident you described involved a Jaguar T2 from, I believe, Coltishall. The PIC held a full medical cat whilst the other pilot was downgraded due to his various surgeries and was, therefore, not acting in any official capacity.

Disclaimer: I may, of course, have everything completely wrong in which case I take no responsibility for my frequently appalling memory.

mach78
26th May 2000, 01:33
Thanks for that Ham, didn,t realise he never had full medical.Just was fascinated that with all the strict regulations of the RAF, the pilot was still flying.

F.L.I.R
28th May 2000, 00:56
Thats amazing....the guy was flying even though he'd had a heart/lung transplant!?!?!?
I suppose if you medically fit it doesn't really matter if you've had a few "repairs".

I wonder if there's any other pilots out there who defy the medical boards......... Like to hear from ya!

Major Havoc
1st Jun 2000, 21:25
An interesting note - I wonder just how the CAA and FAA match up against each other with regards to progressive response to pilot illness and recovery. For instance is the CAA more empathetic about higher than normal BP?

mach78
1st Jun 2000, 23:32
I think the standards are pretty similar, although under JAR, I think things are sricter.I think the diastolic limit is about 95mm, although medication is allowed.

redsnail
2nd Jun 2000, 10:19
It is easier to do a heart/lung transplant as opposed to either heart or lungs. Somthing to do with the major blood vessels and stuff.
As you can imagine, it is a huge operation. As a side line, all the sensory nerves are cut to the heart. Therefore, you can't feel it any more.

------------------
Reddo
A Feral Animal.

Ham Phisted
2nd Jun 2000, 18:23
I think we may be missing the point here. If I'm right, I don't believe the guy was aboard as a member of crew merely as a passenger and, as such, would only need to be as fit as any other passenger.