PDA

View Full Version : Cheap OSs. what do you make of this?

Loose rivets
4th May 2010, 05:36
Buy Discount Cheap Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Full Version 32-bit (Promotional) (http://www.discountmountainsoftware.com/miwi7ulfuve3.html)

It seems that the branded ones are for Dell or HP. I have an HP, so wouldn't mind a bit of dross if it was a real deal.

Young lady told me that the Promotional Ultimate was a reduced packaging deal, but the soft was as per full version. They do say that the OEMs can't be re used even if your computer blows up.

Seems a big discount.

seacue
4th May 2010, 10:52
Mr Rivets,

Read your PM.

bob

mixture
4th May 2010, 19:28
How does that saying go again ? If it's too good to be true......... :ugh:

It's not difficult to dermine what the local market rate is for a piece of software (look around the online stores of large reputable box shifters). When you start seeing software below the average market rate, alarm bells should start ringing.

I believe we've covered the topic of OEM before, but my own guess is if you were to buy this one, it would be more than simply misusing an OEM license, you would most likely be buying an NFR license or similar, which is an even bigger no-no.

Why not give Microsoft a call ? :cool:

Loose rivets
4th May 2010, 20:01
If it's too good to be true.........

That's the conclusion I'd come to. The HP Branded ones seemed a possible route, but it's not a thing I really need.

Don't want to raise any more flags with MS, they were very helpful over the OEM issue. Mind you, I'm still concerned what's going to happen when I upgrade my HD. Maybe they won't even allow that - if it's listed in the vast data-base in the sky.

mixture
5th May 2010, 06:55
The HP Branded ones seemed a possible route

The branded ones are generally BIOS locked I believe.

I'm still concerned what's going to happen when I upgrade my HD

I think you'll be safe with just a HD upgrade, as it's probably seen as a minor system component (similar to RAM) that doesn't really materially alter the system in the same way that changing a motherboard or processor would.

But don't quote me on that just yet, will do some digging around and see what I can find in terms of more official documentation on the matter.

Update:

Document from the Microsoft website for XP, but I suspect things are largely the same, just more rigorous and complex for Vista/7 ..... however the document should give you a good feel for how things work....

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/1/6/21654b16-6c81-4d96-9390-5203cd43d07d/windowsproductactivationtechnicalmarketbulletin.doc

Also may be of interest Quick start: Activation FAQ (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/quick-start/activation-faq.aspx)

Loose rivets
5th May 2010, 15:40
I had a quick look thanks. Quite complicated. I'd always assumed that a room full of bright young minds at MS could stop the likes of me using the OS on two machines.

I'll have to put anything that really doesn't need doing on hold while preparing for my trip home. First place we go to has no telephone line, let alone broadband. :uhoh:

mixture
5th May 2010, 16:36
I suspect the document is a bit more waffly than it needs to be as they're probably attempting the old chestnut of trying to tell something without actually telling you. A bit like the ingredients list on a can of Coca-Cola :cool:

It is a shame all this activation stuff has to be in place..... but I guess Microsoft's world dominance comes at a price that they have to tackle if they want to be around in 10 years time.

First place we go to has no telephone line, let alone broadband

Ouch. Don't forget your PPRuNe patches for your withdrawl symptoms !

Tounge only half in cheek, I've heard satellite comms are cheaper than they used to be ..... might be something to consider if you need something on day one.