PDA

View Full Version : Taking the plunge

Bojinda
4th May 2010, 02:36
So I'm 21 and finally think I am ready to plunge into this awesome world of flying. Ever since I can remember, this is what I've wanted to do with my life. I first attempted to get my PPL when I turned 16 but hit a brick wall with the whole money situation. I applied to a few colleges after high school for aviation but ended up declining the offers to really consider other possibilities and hobbies that I could turn into a career. My biggest regret of life is not jumping into this when I first graduated and had the opportunity (I could have already gotten my CPL by now), but at least I now know this is definitely my calling, nothing has ever made me happier than being up in the sky.

I am just choosing a school right now and am torn between Confederation College and Sault College both of which are in Ontario, Canada. At the end of Sault I would have my multi-engine instrument rating (is that the multi/ifr rating?) but at the end of Confederation I would have my float endorsement and I just don't know which would be better to start off my career with.

I know I am going to be waiting a while before a job comes along but I am determined and am already starting to save some money up for my instructors rating so I can build some hours, some experience, and get paid (seems win/win to me...). Yes, I am well aware they don't get paid much, but hey, it's a start (plus it's still a step up from my job now and I get to do what I love). My main concern is how exactly instructing works... I have no idea... When I had my instructor I would just book a time slot and fly but how exactly does that work for the instructor, I can't remember if he had days off that I couldn't book with him (presumably so he may be able to work another job). How do you guys juggle jobs like this? And how easy is an instructing job to obtain in Canada? (I'll get there eventually... I just want to know if I should set my starting goals lower)

Starting the 2011 September semester so I can have the money saved for the instructor rating as soon as I get licensed so I don't let my skills get rusty. (Don't want to take another loan... paying for the schooling with OSAP as it is...)

Thanks for the help,
Bojinda