PDA

View Full Version : Lost 3 Fingers......

MachOverspeed
27th Feb 2002, 19:34
pardon me for not using capitalization....

one week ago today i was involved in a motorcycle accident in which i lost 3 fingers from my right hand. the right index, bird, and ring fingers are missing. i still have my thumb and pinkie finger.

the hand is in a removeable cast right now. the bird and ring fingers are stubbs about half way to the knuckle. i can move them a little better each day and am exercising the hand/stubbs as per doctors orders.

does anyone know a pilot with less than a full compliment of fingers, or of some resource where i can learn of operational techniques or tricks to help me get back in the cockpit?

i can visualize how i might be able to operate the power levers etc, but radio frequency selection might be tough, and the thought of manipulating the latest digital avionics suites scares me to death.

although i am slowly learning how to write with my left hand, i think that i will be able to write with the right hand by gripping a pen between the stubbs and bracing it with the thumb and pinkie finger.

any help/advice would be much appreciated and thanks in advance.

M

HelenD
27th Feb 2002, 22:41
You could try contacting the British Disabled Flying Club for help and advice website <a href="http://www.fly.to/bdfc" target="_blank">http://www.fly.to/bdfc</a>. .Each disability presents its own problems so you will need the help of someone who can understand and help. The biggest problem in the UK is convincing the CAA you are safe to fly the FAA is far more understanding. I believe the USA is in the process of setting up an equivelent organization to the BDFC but I am not sure what the contact details are. Good luck.

DX Wombat
2nd Mar 2002, 04:32
I think you will be surprised what you will eventually be able to do with your right hand so don't give up. The writing position you describe has been said to cause a lower incidence of writers' cramp as it puts less strain on the rest of your hand. Keep practising the movements you will need for operating your equipment, speak to an occupational therapist and explain what you will need to be able to do, they will then be able to help devise appropriate exercises for you. It won't happen overnight and sadly we don't have any magic wands to make miracles happen, but, as I said, keep practising and I think you will be surprised what you will be able to achieve. What a rotten thing to have happened to you. Good Luck!

Mac the Knife
3rd Mar 2002, 23:21
As DX says, you will be surprised what you will eventually be able to do with your right hand with a determination and a good physio and occupational therapist.. .. .Believe it or not there are quite a number of surgeons operating quite successfully after major hand injuries/losses and this is rather more demanding than radio frequency selection or manipulating the latest digital avionics suites.. .. .Nevertheless, you have had a major functional loss and the rehab road is not an easy one.. .I don't have details of your injury and so don't know how damaged the rest of your hand was so can't comment much further on prospects. But I have seen extraordinary feats accomplished by intelligent and determined patients. One Special Forces soldier with catastrophic dominant hand injuries comes to mind - I found him two days after his primary operation diligently doing exercises that I thought he wouldn't come to for ten or more - "That must be b***dy sore!", says I, "Ja" he says calmly, "but you told me to do them". He did very well.. .. .There are a numerous assist devices that can be fitted - these range from simple digit extenders to state-of-the-art bone anchored snap-on prostheses. These can be very helpful and do not require big operations.. .. .Finally, depending upon your injuries it might be possible to transfer one or more of your toes to the affected hand to give you real new fingers. The operation(s) are long and complex and require very intensive rehabilitation for success but in selected patients can add significantly more functionality. It is normally at least 6/12 before toe-to-hand transfers are considered. The hand must be supple and well healed and the patient informed, intelligent and motivated.. .. .But I'm sure your Hand/Plastic surgeon has already explained all that to you.. .. .Best of luck (contact me if you like). .. .MTK (Extreme Limb trauma surgeon)