PDA

View Full Version : HELP me finding the right option PLZ!!

gizmofreak
3rd May 2010, 14:46
Hello everybody..!!!

i've completed my AME course in India.. Since there's no job here n i don't think so any future here.. I'm thinking of studying more.. So on search i've got 2 options

1. Studying B.eng in Aircraft Engineer in Perth College U.K.. As well as Writting EASA exams.. Here in this college i'll be entering directly into 3rd year on the basis of my ame diploma in India.

2. Red river college in Canada, They provide 15 months of coaching which gives diploma in Aircraft maintenance + 29 months of industrial training with stipend.. They say we r eligible to write AME 'M' license.. Here i want to know
after undergoing the training i've to apply for the exam or while undergoing the industrial training can i apply for the license exam..?

N i also wanted to know if i go for EASA exams then how long it will take i mean duration to get the actual EASA B1/B2 license after clearing all the hurdles?? n even the canada one

PLZ HELP me guys which one to choose.. m totally confused.. i mainly want to know which one is easy as well as the duration of the whole process of becoming a licensed engineer n moreover the scope... Any information/advise would be appreciated.

ProfEng
3rd May 2010, 18:24
OK, I'll try...

To have the best chance of a job, you need an EASA b1 and/or B2 licence, with a type rating.

Degrees, BTECs, Diplomas, and the like are very pretty, but the licence is what you need.

You can do an approved Basic Training course of about 2 years in a Part 147-approved organisation. This will include, if the school is a good one, the required amount of structured and properly run OJT, in a Part 145-approved organisation that does it properly. Having completed your Indian training you will cope easily with that.

Yoiu can do an unapproved course, eg home study, Zero to Hero and the like, and pass the Module exams. But getting the Practical done is not going to be easy, and you would have to arrange and pay for OJT as well.

You also have to accumulate relevant work experience in all aircraft systems. the length varies...see EASA Part 66.A.30 for full details;

2. for category B2 and subcategories B1.1 and B1.3:
(i) five years of practical maintenance experience on operating aircraft if
the applicant has no previous relevant technical training; or
(ii) three years of practical maintenance experience on operating aircraft
and completion of training considered relevant by the competent
authority as a skilled worker, in a technical trade; or
(iii) two years of practical maintenance experience on operating aircraft
and completion of a Part -147 approved basic training course.

There are one or two good Part 147 approved schools/colleges in the UK offering approved Basic Training courses. But be very wary of those who do not guarantee proper OJT within the price.

Good Luck!

gizmofreak
5th May 2010, 06:08
thnx for the response...

it has helped me a lot ...

gizmofreak
5th May 2010, 06:11
anymore suggestions plz... anything abt Canada license...

it will help me in setting up my goal

spannersatcx
5th May 2010, 07:04
Canadian licence is only of any value in Canada, whereas an EASA licence has more recognition worldwide. That's not discrediting anybody who has a Canadian licence just a matter of fact.

The 2 most recognised licences around the world are the FAA AnP and the EASA licence.

bala_murali
6th Jul 2010, 21:06
Hi spannersatcx. i would like to know of EASA and FAA A&P which would be a good license to do . I already have a bachelors degree in electrical and electronics engineering and 2 years works experience in dell computers . Would a diploma program be enough for me or should i do a degree course again .

CHOICE IN USA- EMBRY RIDDLE-http://www.erau.edu/db/degrees/ap_program/ap_costs.html

CHOICE IN UK-KINGSTONE --http://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergraduate-course/aircraft-maintenance-repair-overhaul-2010/applying-for-funding.html

OR GLAMORGAN-http://courses.glam.ac.uk/courses/588-bsc-hons-aircraft-maintenance-engineering

OR CITY OF BRISTOL-http://www.cityofbristol.ac.uk/coursefinder/CourseDetails_ft.aspx?uiid=3299&classid=15&subclassid=15

Give me some good university choices in USA and which university among the above 3 would be a good choice. which of them offer a good on job training .

THANK FOR YOU TIME .

Alber Ratman
6th Jul 2010, 22:19
AND TO GET THE LICENCE YOU NEED 2 YEARS MINIMUM PART 145 EXPERIENCE. AT A EASA MRO. THE UK MRO's ARE MAKING PEOPLE REDUNDANT AND ARE NOT PROMOTING PEOPLE TO LAE STATUS.:\
THEY ARE NOT TAKING COLLEGE BOYS ON AT THE MOMENT EITHER.. ASK THE STUDENTS TRYING TO GET INTO THE INDUSTRY..:ugh:

Before the college professors start.. Look at the adverts for newbies.. or old hands even.. and if you think the recession in the industry will soon be over, you are seriously deluded. The cuts that the European governments are making will soon will affect the industry even more..

bala_murali
7th Jul 2010, 13:45
Hi Alber. Will it be better that i do the AME course in other countries like Canada or US. If you have any other country in mind that would have a better job prospect please do tell me ??

Miles Gustaph
7th Jul 2010, 17:59
Not using text speak it written work will also help improve your chances of getting a job!

Alber Ratman
7th Jul 2010, 21:42
The Americans and the Canadians would be better people to ask. I know lots of students from Kingston, who cannot find positions at the mo and some have asked me if my place would employ them. The answer was that my place was laying people off. I know of one company that has given approvals to lads that have done 147 courses and their 145 time/type courses. They haven't given them approval pay.. £19K for a certifier is a bloody joke..

bala_murali
7th Jul 2010, 22:19
hi Alber .Will check out the american and canadian universities. i heard the canadian license is not recognized globally. i heard only american and european license are recognized internationally .Is that true??

piggybank
7th Jul 2010, 22:48
Reading all the above and my opinion must be that do everything possible to avoid aviation as a career. In the past it has been a good career, albeit not always giving a secure income. If you have any skills that will let you work in advanced hydraulics, pneumatics, industrial turbines, electronics,then try that route for a good paying job.