View Full Version : Asthma

MJR
24th May 2000, 14:27
Hello,

How much Asthma is acceptable for the issue of a class one medical and what medications are approved for flying use.

cheers

MJR

monkeyboy
24th May 2000, 16:38
MJR, do a search for the word asthma under this topic and you should get back 3 or 4 threads. These contain all you need to know. They certainly gave me the confidence to go for it. I grew out of my asthma 6 months ago but it sounds as if there are pilots who still use inhalers everyday. You can ring the CAA Medical Surgery on 01293 573685. They're happy to talk about your asthma etc...Remember, don't give up until you know for sure that you can't fly. Good Luck!

acpo
25th May 2000, 19:13
I passed my Class 1 whilst my athsma was undiagnosed and therefore uncontrolled (I know from hind-sight that it was athsma) so I'd say don't worry too much about it.

rob99
28th May 2000, 02:11
So should a person be honest then, do they ask to see your medical history from your GP ? I dont know...

acpo
28th May 2000, 19:03
I was diagnosed as having asthma as a young child and had since been told by my GP that it had cleared up (hence in my previous post I said it was undiagnosed at the time of my Class1).

I mentioned this to the CAA doctor and they measured my rate of exhalation, then made me run round the out-side of the building a few times 'till I was out of breath.

My exhaltion rate was measured again as soon as I came back inside and then a third time after ten mins.

As mentioned before this caused no problems with the issue of my Class 1, but my asthma was mild and manifested itself only as a persistent cough.

Hope this is of some help.

BAD NAVIGATOR
30th Jun 2000, 15:42
MJR,
Asthma is a dangerous word in aviation!
Be very careful to use it in the correct context. As you may already know 'Asthma' has a spectrum from mild to severe. From personal experience (Australian ATPL class 1)acceptable Asthma is one which is controlled, usually by use of acceptable doses of oral steroid, such as pulmicort etc. Spirometry is a big thing that the Australian CAA like to see satisfactory, along with no history of severe attacks. They are very careful infact, from my experience to look out for the pilot and his career. From a personal view, having never suffered from Asthma or wheezing in my life, I recently visited a military doctor concerning flu symptoms I had and complained also of a cough I had for some weeks! He referred me to a Thoracic or Respiratory physician, who gave me a Histamine Challenge Test. I was strongly positive to this test with low doses of provocation, hence I was diagnosed as falling within the Asthma spectrum due to my airway hyper reactivity to this synthetic cocktail!!!!! I later found out, that my Influenza and throat/chest infection I was recovering with at the time, would considerably increase my responsiveness to this test and the final outcome. Further investigation revealled reactivity of the airway or lung can linger up to two months following a viral or respiratory infection! Although I have never suffered any Asthma symptoms, except maybe the cough I had for a few weeks, this test says I do! What I am saying then is find out what tests need to be done for you to tick the box, discuss the tests before you offcially do them, and make sure you are in good health prior to doing a spirometry or Challenge test. Finally it was mentioned about not telling CAA about the Asthma. Bad move - if they find out say goodbye to the licence. Proceed cautiously and things should go your way. I currently have an unrestricted class 1 Medical (civil) however I am medically grounded in the military until I satisfactorily pass this Histamine challenge test. Would appreciate any info you may have on asthma and medicals.

Best of luck - BN

------------------