PDA

View Full Version : Merger......s

HKG Phooey
3rd May 2010, 04:34
How come United and Continental, Delta and Northwest and do it but... CX and KA don't have a clue......

Lowkoon
3rd May 2010, 05:29
A. Because the company doesn't want it.
B. Because CX and KA pilots don't want it.
C. We don't live in a country that has any semblance of industrial protection to ensure that the process will be done fairly.
D. We haven't merged operations, we still do our own thing, although admittedly there are shades of grey when it comes to Taipei and Shanghai.
E. There appears to still be value in having 2 brands, KA has long established connections in the mainland that CX could only dream of, remember citic was a large percentage investor for a long period, and those government connections are an invaluable part of doing business in China, like it or not.
F. All three sides want to avoid court action.

Who wants it, and what purpose would it serve? A genuine question.

629bus
3rd May 2010, 10:27
Why the hell would we want to do that? So all the KA boys can get a base back in Auz? ;)

AsiaMiles
3rd May 2010, 11:06
What a load of rubbish. They keep the two AOCs because they determine the traffic route rights and the slots at Hong Kong airport. Give up the AOC and the slots and rights are up for negotiation.

Shot Nancy
3rd May 2010, 12:52
So all the KA boys can get a base back in Auz?

KA boys, yesss. But I am led to believe that any basing in Oz will not be dominated by Oz boys if you get my ditch.

fjouve
3rd May 2010, 14:19
If my memory is right the deal mandates anyway a minimum of 5 years where KA and CX have to operate as separate brands

joebanana
3rd May 2010, 17:08
It is very important to remember that it was an acquisition of DragonAir and not a merger, this makes a big difference when integrating seniority lists.

Took only 6 posts to bring this up :yuk:

Captain TOGA
3rd May 2010, 17:56
KA boys... get used to the sound of a stapler:D

NgongPing-man
4th May 2010, 01:24
You nailed the issue Asiamiles. The last thing CX and KA wants is more free slots for other airlines to operate to the Mainland. Given the fact that more and more HK people choose to fly out of SZX when travelling to the Mainland(thanks to the much cheaper tickets), why would CX further encourage Mainland competition? That would make no sense.

HKAforever
4th May 2010, 07:36
You all forget to mention another, albeit unpleasant,consequence of a merger, LAYOFFS THROUGH REDUNDANCY. Now that got you shivering hasn't it?

Hoofharted
5th May 2010, 00:26
imagine how you would feel about being junior to them when you start name calling just because someone points out that it was a acqusition.

So when China Airlines takes over CX you'll abide by the above? I can hear the screaming already :ok:

gliderboy
5th May 2010, 00:42
Hoofharted

It's not funny if you get the Airline name wrong

its AIR CHINA not China Airlines.

BIG BIG BIG Difference

Gliderboy

Fly747
5th May 2010, 02:35
Yes if Hoof works for KA or CX he should really know who owns 30% of the airline he flys for. Maybe there should be an Air China logo alongside the Swire one on the fuselage just to remind him.
Joint cargo venture already underway, there will be no integration of KA and CX while other possibilities are being considered.

404 Titan
5th May 2010, 04:20
Hoofharted

Just for the record it isn’t possible for Air China to increase their shareholding of the CX group above 29.99% without the written approval of SPAC.
In addition, the parties have agreed to the following in relation to their shareholdings in Cathay:

(i) SPAC has agreed that the beneficial interest of SPAC and its group in the Cathay Share Capital will not exceed 44.90% (49.90% if (i) CITIC Pacific and its group or (ii) Air China and its group increase their respective combined aggregate beneficial interest in the Cathay Share Capital to above 22.45%), except with the prior written consent of the other parties;

(ii) Each of (i) CITIC Pacific and (ii) Air China and CNAC Limited have agreed that the combined aggregate beneficial interest of respectively CITIC Pacific and its group and Air China and its group in the Cathay Share Capital will not exceed 29.99%, except with the prior written consent of the other parties; and

(iii) CITIC Pacific, Air China and CNAC Limited have agreed that, except with the prior written consent of SPAC, their combined beneficial interest in the Cathay Share Capital (including those of their groups ) will not exceed 40% or the percentage beneficial interest of SPAC and its group in the Cathay Share Capital (whichever is the lower).

Hoofharted
7th May 2010, 13:18
Maybe there should be an Air China logo alongside the Swire one on the fuselage just to remind him.

I wouldn't be surprised if one day I arrived at work to see it happen.:sad:

Yes I am guilty of juxtaposing the two however you obviously know which company I am referring to. The sentiment still remains the same. Deals/agreements/arrangements/handshakes etc mean nothing in this part of world so titan thanks for the info but that arrangement will last for as long as it is convenient.:uhoh:

Blowman
7th May 2010, 15:31
The way they left KA against the recommendation of DPA has set the tone for how the continued integration would be handled. They sold out their remaining Dragon Brothers

I don't know where your getting your info H8HKG but the first few guys that 'Transfered' to CX were of DPA Pedegree..DPA members on the payrole.... That should tell you what they thought of their KA bretheren.:=

Capt Vertigo
7th May 2010, 15:47
They keep the two AOCs because they determine the traffic route rights and the slots at Hong Kong airport. Give up the AOC and the slots and rights are up for negotiation.

Asia Miles:
Absolutely right.! :ok:

Merge and losse jobs..?? Well said 'HKAforever'! Please don't be selfish mate! Hang in there and enjoy what you have before its taken away by this suggestions. ;)

Safe flying!