PDA

View Full Version : Heathrow Spotting Trip

iain32
2nd May 2010, 23:04
Hi

I am planning to fly to Heathrow in the near future for photography etc. I am planning on flying with BMI so I know a good spotting location will be out of the large window at the gate area overlooking the runway.

My question is that can I stay in the gate area when I land until my return flight or would I have to go out and then clear security again?

Thanks

Leonard320
3rd May 2010, 00:23
Hi

With Heathrow, Id recommend leaving airside, even if they allow you through. Reason, photography can be easy at Heathrow, if you know where to go. For example landers on 27L/R is quite simple. I've only ever done these runways so can't comment on the 09's.

27L Theres the famous Myrtle Ave, nice big grass area and you only need a 18-70 for widebodies. you can use a 70-300mm but don't count on getting a side on shot!

27R a 70-300mm is the best lens and the spot is around 10-20 mins from Hatton Cross tube station. Both spots can be traveled to via Hatton Cross. For 27R, just leave the station and head for the BA hangers, follow the hangers round and you will come to western perimeter road. If you go along here you will be able to catch the landers. If you go there be sure to look under the fence line to see whats in the maintanince base. ( Currently Concorde (G-BOAB?) is sitting in the run bay)

I'd recommend reading the plane mad guide to LHR, I live around an hour away but have only got there 3 times in the last year but on a nice day and 27L in use you cant go wrong.

Thanks
Ben Leonard

Old Photo.Fanatic
3rd May 2010, 14:38
09L. Landings on Easterlies.

Upto quite recently I know you could park off the side of the road going
NORTH on the A3044 Stanwell Moor Rd, just after you go under the Flyover going to T5.

Look on Google earth and it shows a car parked at this location.

A hole in the Bushes/trees leads to a field where you can stay 'till the sun goes round, (80-200 zoom should cover most types)

Then best leave car where it is and walk north to the next Roundabout, north of 09L, spend rest of time on or near said roudabout 'till sunset (Assuming its a sunny day!!!!) Medium Zoom should cover most types.

Hopes this helps.

OPF

Doug E Style
7th May 2010, 14:16
Iain,

I am fairly sure that you can stay in the departure gate area if you want to. There are bmi desks there so they should be able to check you in for your return flight. You'll have access to a Costa coffee shop and WHSmiths, and toilets, of course. Enjoy your day.

HZ123
8th May 2010, 06:21
You will not be allowed to stay in the terminal taking photos you will get turfed out of it!

Avman
8th May 2010, 08:18
On what do you base that HZ123?

If you are a ticketed passenger for a flight that day you have every right to be in the terminal, and there are no laws concerning the taking of photographs of aircraft from terminal buildings. Done it myself numerous times without problem.

Skipness One Echo
8th May 2010, 15:07
You will not be allowed to stay in the terminal taking photos you will get turfed out of it!

Absolute claptrap. I had a BA Ground Crew try once, I politley told her that throwing ticketing passengers out of the lounge wasn't going to look good. She thought about it and left rather quickly.

If you are transiting Heathrow, I would recommend staying in the warmth and security by Gate 110 and 112 at the end of the old domestic pier. There's often one or two ticketed enthusiasts here and the staff are quite familiar as they know you're paying their wages and have been through UK security screening. You may go and explore by all means but Heathrow is quite large and prone to unexpected snarl ups on the tube and your connecting flight won't wait for you!

Happy spotting.