PDA

View Full Version : Eye Prescription HELP!

g_conaty
21st Feb 2002, 20:25
I currently wear glasses i order to read the blackboard at college. I have read my eye prescription in order to try to find out if i am class 1 fit.

However, i cannot understand the prescription. It reads:

RIGHT: Sph 1.00

Left Sph 1.00

Can anyone tell me whether i have listed the right thing above in order to tell if i am class 1 fit. If so does anyone know if i am.

Any answers to this would be a real help.

Thankyou

Edited because i made a mistake on the other prescription which i stated.

[ 21 February 2002: Message edited by: Flyer Boy ]</p>

Beethoven
21st Feb 2002, 20:32
Flyer boy,. . At the moment,you can get a class1 with your prescription but I seem to recall you are only 15 at the moment.Your eyesight has not yet stabilized and could get better or worse during the next few years,so as soon as you are old enough,you should get a class 1 because once you have it,the eyesight limits on remewals are pretty easy,it's just the initial that is stricter.. .Ludwig

g_conaty
21st Feb 2002, 20:35
Ive made a mistake. I stated a different eye test. The one above is someone elses. How stupid of me. Ill change the one above now.

Mine read:

RIGHT Sph 1.00

LEFT Sph 1.00

Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Can i get a class 1 with this prescription.

Cypres
22nd Feb 2002, 03:38
Flyer Boy,

You need to be more precise about your eyesight, if you are long-sighted i.e. Prescription is + 1.0 Dioptre then you will be treated to a Cycloplegic refraction.. .This is where the sadistic bastards put drops in your eyes to paralise the ciliary muscle and rob you of your accomodation (focusing ability). The base-line refractive error of your eye is then measured.. .The decision is then based on these results NOT YOUR PRESCRIPTION.. .Now, you are young (Grass Hopper) and your accomodation will be quite powerful - until the drugs remove it - so beware!

My advice would be to find out if you are longsighted, if so, get one of the CAA approved consultants to do a private Cycloplegic refraction - this gives you a heads-up on your real position.

p.s. The longer you leave it the worse it will get.

Good Luck. .Cypres

p.s. The requirement for a Cycloplegic refraction is based on the well known and documented phenomenon that a co-pilot will - on realising that the other pilot has become incapacitated - immediately put 1% Cyclopentolate drops into his eyes. (Wait 20 mins in the hold for the drops to work), destroy both pairs of his glasses and then attempt a visual landing. You just can't trust pilots!

[ 21 February 2002: Message edited by: Cypres ]

[ 21 February 2002: Message edited by: Cypres ]</p>