PDA

View Full Version : Pirate bird

Jungle Bird
1st May 2010, 09:40
One AN 26 reg 3X-GDI (Guinea) has recently been seen flying in Chad between Ndjamena and Abeche. Its poor takeoff performance indicates the engines are washed out. Guinea CA states that this bird has been deregistered from their books since 2003 (not airworthy no insurance…) and asks in vain Chad CA to stop it. There is another AN 26 in Afghanistan with same reg 3X-GDI but different paint scheme. Poor Africa…

howard meredith
1st May 2010, 12:51
I'm in Kabul and have not seen 3X-GDI for sometime.Seems to have disappeared. Maybe Chad?

TXaviator
1st May 2010, 13:36
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/6/0/4/1494406.jpg

???

Jungle Bird
1st May 2010, 16:22
This picture above has been taken recently in Afghanistan. But the one in Chad with same reg 3X-GDI is plain white and it is quite an old paintwork. So I believe it is not the same bird. As if there were several AN 26 with a single registration. Funny, isn'it ?

Spadhampton
1st May 2010, 22:47
For whom has it been flying?

Jungle Bird
2nd May 2010, 07:09
Apparently it carries UN staff. This is the only business in Aviation in Eastern Chad. Local operator is said to be a Chadian business man, probably well connected with Chad CA as this plane was still flying last week. He got the job because saving on insurance, maintenance and everything, he could offer nice fares. And the owner must be shrouded in mystery somewhere between Kakoul and Ndjamena...

Contract Dog
2nd May 2010, 07:33
JB, you seem like you have a vested interest in this a/c getting shamed, why? they got the contract you were gunning for? put your name to it if you going to throw their name???

Dog

Spadhampton
2nd May 2010, 10:07
Makes no difference. If the aircraft registration is shady the operators are shady. It is the DUTY of every aviator to expose dangers to the flying public. The UN, individual national foreign service organizations, applicable relief agencies, as well as the media must be alerted before the probable disaster occurs.

If the operator is above board, they can publicly defend themselves.

BTW this is an aviation rumor network. Perfect forum for initiating such public information. Anonymity is understandable and acceptable IMO.

Spadhampton
2nd May 2010, 17:03
If you are going to report it to the authorities, why not here also?

Why not scream it from the mountain tops while your at it?

Spadhampton
2nd May 2010, 23:06
You can post here, and, advise the authorities. You do everything you can to prevent DEATH. As for the 748, it could not have hurt to have posted here, but it should not have ended with just a PPRUNE post.

“Authorities" in Africa are often bought off. Some on constant payroll of certain commercial endeavors. Even if they are not corrupt they may be slow in action. Most of the time you cannot combat this by notifying the "authorities" alone. You must "Notify" those whom stand to loose. Generally that is the people paying or otherwise using the shoddy aeronautical enterprise.

The more people that know, the better. Notifying the “authorities” alone is simply not enough.

planecrazi
2nd May 2010, 23:54
Apparently it carries UN staff

I can't help miss the "Russian aircraft" flying for the UN and it brought back memories from 18 years back in Angola.

My then colleague wanted to buy an African Grey parrot for the pilot house and he promptly went over to the IL-76 crew who were also flying for the UN to ask for a favor. He wanted to them to buy an African Grey parrot in the north east of Angola on their next trip during the week. They invited him in and offered him a vodka or two at 10am. My friend declined the vodka and showed them his walkie-talkie , he said he was on standby and asked them to get him a grey parrot on their next trip. The conversation got involved and more vodka flowed when all of a sudden the drinking stopped and the IL-76 crew got up and walked out. My friend asked if this was inconvenient time and apologized for interrupting their socializing time in UN camp.

The captain turned around and said " No Problem, we fly now and fetch the bird" and so they did. 6pm there was an African grey parrot in the house!

The point is, anything is possible in Africa

Cloudbouncer
3rd May 2010, 09:45
Africa has its own rules, learn to abide with them and no one gets hurt, no use trying to bring in rules that will not fit in with Africa. Things may look nackered but they work.

Jungle Bird
3rd May 2010, 10:02
You are right my friend ! An aircraft just needs engines and wings. All this paper job from the whites is useless !

Cloudbouncer
3rd May 2010, 11:39
Jungle Bird you understand now. Good keep it that way.:E

Spadhampton
3rd May 2010, 12:13
Africa has its own rules, learn to abide with them and no one gets hurt, no use trying to bring in rules that will not fit in with Africa. Things may look nackered but they work.

Yeah, you wouldn't want anything to change in Africa.

Jungle Bird
3rd May 2010, 14:25
You couldn't have found better example. Weird registration, not airworthy, no maitenance, cheating CAA... Only difference, they have already crossed the finishing line. So let me insist again: "a few words in Pprune..."

Cloudbouncer
3rd May 2010, 15:53
Yea and if Europe is so perfect

BBC NEWS | Europe | Turkish plane crash in Amsterdam (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7909683.stm)

Africa_another
5th May 2010, 19:15
3X-GDI belongs to Oleg Baranov and Gennady Ganeev, two crooks that cheated a lot of people in the aviation. They are based in Sharjah, UAE
Aircraft is contracted by Supreme Group an American foodstuff company and operates for UN but more for DOD
The aircraft has been grounded once by Tchad CAA, but looks like SUPREME people gave some money to the authorities, and the aircraft is flying again.
The aircraft have no legal documents and the pilots flying it are real kamikaze.
SUPREME group was warned several times, that they use some aircraft in Afghanistan and Africa that have not either airworthiness or even legal registration, but the guys are flying so high, that they do not care about flight safety and reputation. It looks really strange, as they operate for US Government. Another planes that they use from the same owner are 3X-GDP, 3X-GEL, 3X-GEV. All An-26s.

CAA of Guinea (Country of registration is trying to stop the planes from operation, but CAA of Chad also does not care) Look the letter from CAA Guinee below:

A Monsieur le DG,
Suite a votre mail relatif aux infos sur l'a?ronef AN 26 immatricul? 3X-GDI, j'ai l'honneur de vous informer de ce qui suivent:
- a?ronef AN 26 immatricul? 3X - GDI tout comme L'AN 26 immaticul? 3X -GDP ont
?t? radi?s du registre d'immatriculation de la Guin?e depuis Juillet 2003.
- Ses immatriculations n'exitent sous aucun N de seri? de AN 26 ou autres.
- La Compagnie GALEX Guin?e qui utilisait ses a?ronefs n'a plus d'agrement
d'exploitation en Guin?e et aucun a?ronef enregistr? en son nom depuis le 06
d?cembre 2007,
Je vous saurais gr? de bien vouloir en informer l'Autorit? de L'Aviation Civile Thadienne pour les mesures reglementaires a prendre pour l'arr?t immediat de cet a?ronef ou de ces a?ronefs. SVP communiquer nous le contact de l'AAC du Thad.
Merci pour votre bonne collaboration.
DIAKITE SEKOU
Chef de Division Navigation Aerienne et Infratstructure
DNAC - GUINEE

Spadhampton
5th May 2010, 22:28
What do ya mean "For the U.S. Government". Do you mean USAID? I thought they were on a UN contract?

Jungle Bird
6th May 2010, 17:17
My conclusion: the poor old bird should rest in peace in a museum, the criminals should sleep in jail, UN should use trucks (even with fake documents) and villages next to Chadian runways would be safer!

Abrar hussain
10th May 2010, 15:59
The letter from Guinea to Chadian CA seems real. Can some one tell the date and response from Chad CA ... please.

Abrar hussain
10th May 2010, 16:03
Can some one provide valid telephone numbers and mail address of the head of Aerial navigation infrastructure in Guinea so that more information can be obtained .... please

Tbushpilot
14th May 2010, 11:59
We saw it on wedneday in Ndjamena intl. We thought it would never take off. The turbines have passed away. These guys are completely crazy.

fdr
15th May 2010, 02:23
Seems all is normal in Africa....

:sad:

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents (1770) Edmund Burke (January 12, 1729 – July 9, 1797)

A couple of years ago, a B737 crew picking up their company aircraft out of Peru, saw that the plane beside them had the same registration number painted on the side, and took photos. :)

Photos were supplied to SACAA on their return by accounts, but nothing happened. At same time, another B737 with SA registration was operating without approval for a Peruvian company, no crew approval/oversight/maintenance approval etc. After a number of years, appears that the wheels are turning and the authorities are starting to be aware of the consequences. That aircraft has been parted out in the USA and so all of the components are now suspect. :)

Multi registration? there is at least one group of "gentlemen" out of the USA that have been falling between the chasms of the regulators flying DODgy aircraft, DODgy parts and DODgy pilots for years in africa, making a mockery of any group trying to do things properly. Abuse affects all in the industry, directly or indirectly. FRAUD affects responsible operators who are unable to compete while being compliant with those who disregard the law. It places at risk passengers, crew, cargo, and 3rd parties of loss up to loss of life. It blackens the industry's reputation, including those that attempt to do an honest job.

Is there any merit in notifying on open forums? maybe, maybe not. The global regulators appear to be indifferent to any response, but being aware of abuse of the system and not providing that information makes the person with that information just a little bit morally culpable for the outcome, IMHO. Certainly, hard to take moral high ground if you are aware of behaviour and take absolutely no action to bring it into the light.

I can attest that getting regulatory response to even blatant abuses and actions that recklessly endanger public is a long and mainly frustrating road. Having said that, it is not always without appropriate response, there are individuals in many CAA's that are angry with their organisations responses, and need the evidence of malfeasance to gain leverage against those in their path stonewalling response.

Providing that information makes the difference.

Happy to continue the fight, but give the evidence of any rebirthing/multiple registration, false/missing crew licenses, etc.

PM if preferred, just need the evidence.

Some action is underway, but it will be a time before people are held to account for their actions. Your choice, be part of the solution or part of the problem, but if you are dismissive of the effectiveness of response, don't assume to hold any moral high ground.

"Perpetrators, collaborators, bystanders, victims: we can be clear about three of these categories. The bystander, however, is the fulcrum. If there are enough notable exceptions, then protest reaches a critical mass. We don’t usually think of history as being shaped by silence, but, as philosopher Edmund Burke said, ‘The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Henrik Hudson School District Library Media Centre. (pronounced Burke to be an "English" philosopher....)

Another apt (but out of context comment) by Burke was:

"There is, however, a limit at which forbearance ceases to be a virtue."

[I]Observations on a Late Publication on the Present State of the Nation (1769)

The deathly silent response to inaction by the relevant CAA's on those abusing the industry doesn't say much for our "profession".

B737africa
15th May 2010, 06:04
Abrar hussain here it is

Guinea
WESTERN AND CENTRAL AFRICA Last Modified: 16 December 2009
Minister Responsible for Civil Aviation

M. Mohamed Cheick TOURE
Ministre des Transports
Address B.P. 715
Conakry
Guinée Phone +224 41 36 15
+224 21 00 24 Fax +224 44 42 19
+224 41 35 77 Email
National Civil Aviation Administration (NCAA)

M. Dianté Keita
Directeur National de l'Aviation Civile Direction Nationale de l'Aviation Civile Address Ministère des Transports
B.P. 95
Conakry
Guinée Phone +224 60 21 53 14 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +224 60 21 53 14 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
+224 64 20 10 65 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +224 64 20 10 65 end_of_the_skype_highlighting Fax +224 30 41 35 77
+224 30 45 34 57 Email [email protected] Cable AVIACIVIL CONAKRY AFTN DFFVYAYX
Other information:
Other telephone numbers: +224 30 45 34 57 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +224 30 45 34 57 end_of_the_skype_highlighting or 30 45 19 28
Principal Directors M. Mansa Kolon Keïta
Directeur National Adjoint de l'Aviation Civile

Airworthiness Authority

Thierno Ouamane Diallo
Chef de Division Navigation Aérienne et Infrastructure Division Navigation Aérienne et Infrastructure Address Direction Nationale de l'Aviation Civile
Ministère des Transports
B.P. 95
Conakry
Guinée Phone +224 45 34 57/19 28
+224 41 27 73 Fax +224 45 34 57
+224 41 35 77 Email [email protected] AFTN GUCYYAYX Aviation Security

M. Sékou Oumar Thiam
Chef, DivisionTransport Aérien Direction Nationale de l'Aviation Civile Address Ministère des Transports
B.P. 95
Conakry
Guinée Phone +224 41 27 73
+224 45 34 57 Fax +224 41 35 77
+224 45 34 57 Email [email protected] Meteorological Authority (MA)
(Designated by the State in accordance with ICAO Annex 3 para. 2.1.4)

Senior Official Dr. Mamadou Lamine BAH
Directeur National de la Météorologie Direction Nationale de la Météorologie Address Ministère des Transports
B.P. 715
Conakry
Guinée Phone +224 45 48 15 Fax +224 41 35 77 Email
Meteorological Agency
(providing meteorological service on behalf of the Meteorological Authority, where relevant)

Email
Language Of Correspondence

French Other Information

AGENCE DE LA NAVIGATION AERIENNE (ANA)

El Hadj Mamady Kaba
Directeur Général
Agence de la Navigation Aérienne
B.P. 3025
Conakry
Guinée

Tel.: +224 46 18 61 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +224 46 18 61 end_of_the_skype_highlighting / 22 21 46
Fax: +224 46 15 23 / 46 18 61

Faye Papa Mambaye, Directeur Général Adjoint

SOCIETE DE GESTION ET D'EXPLOITATION DE L'AEROPORT DE CONAKRY (SOGEAC)

M. Pierre Villet
Directeur Général
B.P. 3126
Conakry
Guinée

Tel.: +224 46 48 03 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +224 46 48 03 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
E-mail: [email protected]

Camille Fernandez, Directeur Général Adjoint
Alpha Oumar Diallo, Directeur des opérations
Mouctar Sow, Directeur Technique
HELP (http://www.icao.int/icao/en/dgca/IcaonetOnly/Home/help.cfm) UPDATE (http://www.icao.int/icao/en/dgca/IcaonetOnly/Home/update.cfm) Search by State/Territory (http://www.icao.int/icao/en/dgca/IcaonetOnly/Search/SelectState.cfm) | Search by Region (http://www.icao.int/icao/en/dgca/IcaonetOnly/Search/SelectRegion.cfm) | Search by Person (http://www.icao.int/icao/en/dgca/IcaonetOnly/Search/SelectPerson.cfm) | Download (http://www.icao.int/icao/en/dgca/IcaonetOnly/Download/SelectDownload.cfm) | Home (http://www.icao.int/icao/en/dgca/IcaonetOnly/Home/Index.cfm) | Copyright ICAO 1997, 2000

Africa_another
16th May 2010, 08:16
Director of CAA Guinea talk to the CAA Chad during last week regarding this aircraft, but Chad CAA doesn't care. Looks like someone in the authority have very strong financial interest.

By the way, one more An-26 of the same owner with the same fake registration now is operating in Uganda it's tail number is 3X-GEL. The aircraft is de-registered from Guinea 13 July 2009, but continues operation, if anybody can inform Uganda CAA to stop it.

CathayBrat
16th May 2010, 15:10
Think i Saw that one the other day, i'm based in EBB at the mo, it looks buggered. PM me some details, will have a chat with my friends at the CAA (not that they have any power to do anything!)

ARENDIII
16th May 2010, 17:16
Will check and report back. Watch this space.
Arend III.

Africa_another
17th May 2010, 04:23
http://bestpics.ru/full/Deregistartion-3X-GEL-1.jpg

Petrus2010
17th May 2010, 09:41
CAA Uganda informed yesterday and will take action today

fdr
17th May 2010, 10:37
SACAA, FAA, EASA and ICAO notified.
request any photos of it's operation or of the aircraft used for the UN/USAID operations.

FDR

fdr
17th May 2010, 11:21
Photos... any photos of this twinned aircraft in respective paintjobs?

Keeping on the same theme...
See how long it takes to work out what has been done on these documents....

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=c920293f07&view=att&th=12899d426f2c5eec&attid=0.3&disp=inline&realattid=f_g94e93lt3&zw :ok:

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=c920293f07&view=att&th=12899d426f2c5eec&attid=0.4&disp=inline&realattid=f_g94e98cl4&zw :\

The MRO has confirmed they did not do the work in the second document, and as they are an FAA approved repair station, the FAA has confirmed the same. These photos provided by the FAA SEIT. Evidence with the DoJ awaiting their decision to prosecute or not... Lets see if the US of A maintains the standards that they so often blackban other countries for failing to maintain. :}

As the forgery is for about 160,000USD worth of work in 2003, you would think you would use a better grade of forger, or at least one that could speak the local language. :O

The "owner" at the time works now part time in the RAAF , wonder if that says something for the standards of the military selection nowdays. :hmm:

fdr
17th May 2010, 11:49
CAA Uganda informed yesterday and will take action today

thanks for your actions

FDR

Petrus2010
17th May 2010, 14:05
They will inform me about the status of the investigation, later today.

Jungle Bird
19th May 2010, 08:12
I doubt CAA of Chad will ground 3X-GDI because it seems that the local operator is linked with some of the directors, and clients are happy because they get cheap fares to carry their goods to Abeche.

aerotransport.org
19th May 2010, 23:28
now is operating in Uganda it's tail number is 3X-GEL

Some confusion here.. 3X- = Guinea, 5X- = Uganda

/A

Africa_another
24th May 2010, 09:54
Planes of this operator are flying under 3X, even in Uganda.
Anyone have any update on this issue?

DownIn3Green
25th May 2010, 00:52
Planecrazi...

I think I remember the Parrot thing...Transafrik?...Carimba?...N188CL?...

$1.00 bounty for messing up Berg's hair?...

You're right, nothing will change in that part of Africa, and in 2000 -2001 it was exactly the same in PNR, Rep of the Congo....Happy Flying...

Africa_another
5th Jun 2010, 04:00
DownIn3Green...
What did you do in 2000-2001 in PNR?
I also was there that time

DownIn3Green
11th Jun 2010, 19:15
Africa Another...TransAirCongo...B-727...Remember Oscar, Parise, Janne, Ahmed the Boss, and the A@@hole guy from Beirut that came to run the Company??? That's why I left...I was contracted thru Brookfield at that time...

Loved it there though...flying for me will never be the same...

Ever been to the Shell Petrol compound for dinner???

Regards...DI3G

P.S.-Why was there a "tanning salon" downtown next to the internet cafe?

Africa_another
12th Jun 2010, 09:57
I still work with TAC, will send you a private message. They operate B737-200 and 737-300 now plus cargo as usually

JTrain
12th Jun 2010, 13:11
A lot of contractor work going on out of EBB to support Somalia and work against LRA.

Tbushpilot
16th Jun 2010, 20:21
Apparently our favorite bird has vanished from Ndjamena for nearly one week. We shall miss its impressive takeoff at the very end of runway 23, shrouded in a black cloud of smoke.

Africa_another
24th Jun 2010, 17:08
It stuck somewhere in the Birao. It's APU burst into pieces.
Just talk to the crew - the owner promised to send APU for last 3 weeks, but no one credit him anymore. Crew stays at a villa without electricity and with no salary for three month. Aircraft owner is hiding from the creditors.
Anyone knows what is going on to the other aircraft in Uganda? 3X-GEL - they say it is grounded in EBB - is this true?

DownIn3Green
24th Jun 2010, 19:50
Anything is possible in Africa...The crew could share a few dollars with the fueler/handler, and fly the jet out of there, and trade it to someone for past salary and a Business Class ticket home...

Then have stories to tell their grandkids....

Then return to Africa like we all do for another "Contract"...

Africa = Addicting...

ARENDIII
25th Jun 2010, 22:13
You still there mate-give me a shout|

Metro man
26th Jun 2010, 01:54
On the AN26 the APU is actually a turbo jet engine mounted at the rear of the right engine. It provides additional thrust on take off and the aircraft is capable of taxiing with it alone. VERY noisy, not sure if it's essential for flight or if they could start on ground power and get airborne without it.

planecrazi
26th Jun 2010, 02:10
Having seen it many times in action, taxing without a prop turning, I asked the pilots about it one day and was told it produces 900kgs thrust. It was required to increase performance for the AN-26 during the Russian Afghan war in the high altitudes.
Eventually they put 5500hp each side and with such big props, the engines had to be mounted on top of the wing AN-32.

Africa_another
27th Jun 2010, 21:34
An-32 APU gives no thrust. Generator only. An-26 have jet engine APU, that is considered as a third engine and gives extra 800-900 when needed.
To start engines from GPU they need 2 GPU's. This is not available at the spot where they stuck.

Africa_another
27th Jun 2010, 21:36
DownIn3Green .....

Africa's addicting - :ok::ok:

Jungle Bird
7th Jul 2010, 12:01
No problem. They tried various spare parts (straight from the scrap yard) and at last one could fit. So after having been grounded during 4 weeks in Birao, the junk is back in FTTJ and has immediately started again to fly for UN. Just a question, as APU of AN 26 is supposed to give more power during takeoff, what would have happened if instead of breaking on the ground in Birao it would have finished during takeoff ?

Jetjock330
7th Jul 2010, 13:12
The APU is required to start the engines and increase performance for take-off. Nothing like and extra 900kgs thrust just on the right wing only. If the APU is unavailable after engine start (no etxra thrust for example), I would believe it uses a reduced/regulated take-off weight then.

The third right thrust (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Antonow_An-26_Cockpit.jpg) lever operates the APU and it thrust for taxi/take-off. (http://wapedia.mobi/thumb/8e0a14797/en/max/1440/900/An-26_sfrj.jpg?format=jpg%2Cpng%2Cgif&ctf=0?format=jpg,png,gif&loadexternal=1) The jet pipe for the APU can be seen at the end of the right engine nacelle.

In this little walk around video, the pilot explains (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYKbLo7-mq4&feature=related) the APU on this AN24 (passenger version of AN26) ( at time 2:12)

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Antonow_An-26_Cockpit.jpg

Africa_another
13th Jul 2010, 14:50
All of a sudden 3X-GEL become 3X-GFH right in EBB without departing from the country. Same magic happened to other planes of the operator 3X-GEV, that is grounded in FJR became 3X-GFD, 3X-GDP became 3X-GFG. These guys are real brothers of the Copperfield. All planes belong to one owner and operator same as 3X-GDI. Strange things happen in the aviation, even in UAE, where registration change is restricted:D:D:D

MMG
13th Jul 2010, 18:31
http://www2.fanstudio.ru/archive/20100713/258hF5LMm.jpg (http://www2.fanstudio.ru/archive/f.php?img=20100713-258hF5LM) Oleg Baranov co-owner of the pirate bird

Africa_another
14th Jul 2010, 15:12
Yeah, that's him buddy.
I talk to the crew in Ndjamena today. This Oleg not pick up the phone. No food money, no electricity at the villa, no salary, even no passports.

Africa_another
16th Jul 2010, 15:48
Supreme Aviation, guys in charge were several times told that operation of 3X-GDI is not safe. They just laughed. At last UN refused to use this aircraft.

They say Uganda also banned 3X registered aircraft to operate in their airspace

Adrian UN
5th Dec 2010, 18:57
The An-26 3X-GFD was still flying for Galex Guinée in September...

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/8/3/1/1795138.jpg

How could I contact this company?

Thanks for your help.