PDA

View Full Version : The green green grass of home.....

wxjedi
1st May 2010, 06:40
Here's the deal.
Irish pilot having spent the last 6 years either commuting or living abroad and would like to get closer to home.
Any ideas on options after the slump is over.
Would like some information from pilots in FR, EI, WX, Air Contractors.
Boeing, Airbus and Avro rated.

Tks

Tom

Callsign Kilo
1st May 2010, 08:28
Hello Tom

Ryanair are recruiting DECs, however you must be 737 rated (300-900) with over 500hrs on type, 800hrs PIC with 2000hrs JAR25 time and 3500hrs total. I believe applications are made via Brookfield Aviation. If you have considerable B737 command time then you will be offered an assessment. Be aware that securing an Irish base, especially as Captain, is as rare as hen's teeth. SNN has dropped to 1 aircraft, ORK has 1 aircraft (although has risen to 2 for the summer), DUB is fully crewed (the list of Irish guys disposed throughout the network wishing to return to the base is both long and distinguished!) I know BHD is crewed at the moment as well. That leaves KIR, which seems mostly served by contractors floating between bases. Positions are available in the UK, which would have you closer to home. Saying that, the need for Central European based skippers is probably greater. It's all down to luck of the draw. Recruitment for FOs is only via the cadetship/SSTR route.

Aer Lingus are going through a bit of restructuring and I guess it may be a few years before the dust settles. The last period of recruitment was for their BFS and LGW bases, where Airbus rated DECs and I believe a few rated FOs were taken on. All bets are off at the moment supposedly.

Air Contractors recruited recently for a 737 position in DUB. I believe they picked up a few Ryanair guys who had been based at SNN. Worth a try, they also operate contracts for DHL on the A300. However I am guessing this is crewed differently. Their office is in Swords, close to Dublin airport.

Another worthy candidate are CityJET. I see you're AVRO rated and I would imagine they may be interested if you have command time. Possibility of a DUB base there. Their office is also within Swords.

keeponkeepinon
2nd May 2010, 21:50
Are you nuts?
Anybody that can is bailing out of this country..

You must be a made man?

Loose rivets
3rd May 2010, 00:47
You meant to put that e on did you?

Thing is, anyone in some parts of Ireland can get a heck of a deal on a new house. Just watched a snippet about 1 in 3 homes on some new estates being unsold. And these looked like 'executive homes.'

Even talk of pulling some new estates down!!! Just how big is this recession?

thos1n
3rd May 2010, 09:23
pulling estates down?...as the bankers would say"we,ll double-cross that bridge when we come to it!!"