PDA

View Full Version : Minor MD-11 tech questions

balaton
30th Apr 2010, 19:23
Hi everyone,
I have collected some non-important ( but nice to know) questions which are not covered in the MD-11 AOM:
1. In the cockpit ceiling above the pilots’ side windows and further back in the aft cockpit roof there are small levers/knobs with the plackard: „CONDITIONED AIR”.What is the function of these controls?
2. On the outside of the aircraft in the lower cargo door operating panel there is a switch and rotary knob with the plackard: „BRAKE GUIDE”, „BRAKE SELECT”, ROLLER SELECT”. Again, what is the function of these controls? ( I assume something to do with the cargo handling system).
3. Is the forward entry door electric actuator motor fed by the direct batt bus? To be able to open it on a cold/dark unpowered a/c?
I appreciate your help.

muduckace
1st May 2010, 16:19
1. In the cockpit ceiling above the pilots’ side windows and further back in the aft cockpit roof there are small levers/knobs with the plackard: „CONDITIONED AIR”.What is the function of these controls?
2. On the outside of the aircraft in the lower cargo door operating panel there is a switch and rotary knob with the plackard: „BRAKE GUIDE”, „BRAKE SELECT”, ROLLER SELECT”. Again, what is the function of these controls? ( I assume something to do with the cargo handling system).
3. Is the forward entry door electric actuator motor fed by the direct batt bus? To be able to open it on a cold/dark unpowered a/c?

1- mechanical valves that close off airflow to several of many vents.
2- You are correct cargo loading and anti cargo rollout device control.
3- Fwd LH most fwd entry door is fed by the ground service A/C bus, it can be disengaged to open manually but is very heavy with the slide pack on or opened by a pneumatic motor from the inside as an emergency provision.

balaton
2nd May 2010, 10:56
Many thanks muduckace, but still curious: when you enter an unpowerd MD-11 (I know it's rare in line ops) you or the tech staff has to open the door manually? To put it in another way: if you connect external AC, is the AC GRND SERV BUS powered without switching ext pwr on in the cockpit?
best rgds
b

DBate
2nd May 2010, 12:56
if you connect external AC, is the AC GRND SERV BUS powered without switching ext pwr on in the cockpit?

If you connect external power while standing outside the aircraft, you can energize the GRND SERV BUS with a switch next to the external power connector close to the nose gear.

balaton
2nd May 2010, 16:00
Thanks dbate, it's pitty things like these are not included in tha AOM.
b