PDA

View Full Version : End of Liquid Restrictions at EU Airports by 2013

FlyingTinCans
29th Apr 2010, 14:45
From the BBC News page:

The EU says the current restrictions on liquids carried by air passengers will end by April 2013.
New screening equipment capable of detecting liquid explosives must be installed by that deadline, the European Commission says.
Since late 2006 European airports have banned any liquid in containers larger than 100ml carried in hand luggage.
The term "liquid" includes syrups, creams, gels and pastes. The rule has been frustrating for many passengers.
The ban was brought in after UK police foiled a plot to blow up transatlantic planes using explosives hidden in soft drink bottles.
Passengers have been forced to throw away bottles of perfume, tubes of sun cream and other liquids before boarding planes.
Security streamlined
Only 100ml maximum containers, carried in a transparent bag measuring 20cm by 20cm, have been allowed.
The Commission says that in three years' time "all liquids will be allowed in cabin baggage and will be screened".
"By that date, the current restrictions on the carriage of liquids in cabin baggage will end. The transition period until 2013 is necessary to allow for a roll-out of liquids screening equipment at all EU airports."
The Commission is also streamlining other airport security measures brought in since the 11 September 2001 attacks on the US.
The EU is scrapping the duplication of security controls for access to strictly controlled areas at EU airports.
EU-wide procedures are coming in for air cargo hauliers, again to avoid re-screening.

Link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8651984.stm)

Peter47
29th Apr 2010, 19:28
My first reaction is a huge sigh of relief.

Whilst all EU members must apply minimum standards individual states can apply more stringent standards (or what they perceive to be more stringent standards) as the UK does. That is why non-domestic transfer passengers require rescreening. I presume that this will still apply.

Will all individual states relax the ban by this time? Presumably it will depend upon how quickly airports procure new equipment and have confidence that it works.

Other states may still impose their own requirements. Last year at HKG - prior to 2512 - Australia & the U.S. were requiring secondary checks at gates so that you couldn't take on board a bottle of water you had purchased after security. (Interestingly you could still take liquids through security on Australian domestic flights at the time.) I presume that the countries had done a check and were not happy with the HKG security although it is one of the most efficient airports I have been through & I have no reason to doubt the adequacy of the security.

Lets hope we can all take our bottles of water on board but I'll believe it when it happens.

HamishMcBush
30th Apr 2010, 11:43
A welcome relief is in sight then.... these regulations positively discriminate against contact lens wearers, like myself. I fail to see how it is "safer" to make someone decant a 120ml bottle of solution bearing its manufacturer's logo etc into unmarked smaller containers where it could be "anything" inside, rather than letting the original package through security checks.
Personally, I desant my solutions into "sample" bottles so that if questioned, I can always say that it is in response to the governments taking the p!$$ with security.

WHBM
1st May 2010, 20:25
I really can't believe that the security industry will tolerate such a reduction in their scope without finding some way to circumvent it and continue with the present level of checks.

Look at all those now employed in advance of the "real" security to wave plastic bags vaguely in the direction of passing passengers and mumble some lines they have learned. Behind them are all the HR staff to find them, trainers, managers, senior managers, and all that. How can those in this chain tolerate any reduction in their numbers and their budgets ?

Whether any of their anti-liquids empire actually achieves anything for passenger security is, of course, quite irrelevant.

PAXboy
2nd May 2010, 15:51
WHBMHow can those in this chain tolerate any reduction in their numbers and their budgets ?
[Dons his usual Cassandra outlook]
The next wave of the recession will make them easy targets. All employers will be delighted to remove staff and replace with machines. 'Twas ever thus.
[PAXboy here again]
Meanwhile, we will all stand on the pavement and hold open the doors of the bus taking them off the field ...:}

Capot
2nd May 2010, 16:40
New screening equipment capable of detecting liquid explosives must be installed by that deadline, the European Commission says.

And if it isn't?

Is there such equipment in the pipeline? Or does the Commission believe that by simply saying "it must be there" it will happen by magic?

Explosives, no problem. Liquids, probably no problem. But equipment that can tell that the liquid in an airtight and opaque container, buried in a carry-on bag, is an "explosive" liqiuid is another matter.

And what is an "explosive liquid"? Will that include flammable liquid? If so, that's the end of duty-free spirit sales.