PDA

View Full Version : Platelets urgent

comeandfly
29th Apr 2010, 09:55
Hi everybody,

Please, can someone tell me if a bit high platelets should be a problem to fly?

I did my medicals test for a company and my platelets are 406000, somewhere is a normal range and in others is a little high.

Can somone tell me something about it?

Thanks in advanced

Bad medicine
29th Apr 2010, 10:48
comeandfly

This is really not the place to be asking for urgent medical advice (as it says at the top of the page). Your test results really need to be interpreted and discussed by the doctor who ordered them, in the context of the overall results. Although you may get many different answers here, you really should get some specific advice from your doctor.

Cheers,

BM

comeandfly
29th Apr 2010, 10:59
Thanks for your answer.

I only want to know if someone have had this experience or similar with complete blood count.
Differents experiences, always helps the others to get an idea.

Of course, I asked to my doctor ( two differents) both said that it is not a problem. But I would like to know if someone have any similar case.

Anyway thanks again

Capetonian
29th Apr 2010, 11:17
Platelets make the blood clot. Too few and you could potentially bleed to death, too many and you could be at risk of thrombosis or stroke as a result of clotting. Normal range is 150-450 thousand per mm3 so yours look towards the high end of normal range.

The condition of abnormally high platelet count is called thrombocytaemia and it is a myeloproliferative disorder (not sure if these are the correct spellings) and can be caused by an enlarged spleen. I'm mentioning this in case you want to look it up but DO NOT SELF DIAGNOSE as that can be very dangerous.

It is commonly controlled by dosage of Hydrea/Hydroxyurea, you may also be required to take aspirin daily, and if controlled and if you have regular check-ups it is asymptomatic, does not reduce life expentancy, and is not life threatening, in other words you have nothing to worry about.

comeandfly
29th Apr 2010, 11:27
Capetonian, thanks a lot. You make feel better.

I have read about high platelets, the diseases that you mention as well. A lot of information has mixed my mind in internet.

but I was worried because the normal range changes in differents laboratories.
Sometimes the value is 150.000-350.000 or 150.000-400.000 or 150.000-450.0000.

Thanks again,
and Nice day

Capetonian
29th Apr 2010, 11:51
I have pm'd you.