PDA

View Full Version : Military Helicopters at Beesands

Vitesse
28th Apr 2010, 16:20
Over the years several (usually Navy) machines have put down on the green at the small Devon fishing village of Beesands. It's near Dartmouth and apparently that was usually the planned destination.

Last one I saw was a Lynx that ended up slung from a Chinook, since the roads are too small for a recovery vehicle.

Back in 1969 a machine landed in foul weather and the crew were 'entertained' in the caravan club bar. I suspect nothing like them had been seen in this out-of-the-way place and they were even given a fresh crab to send them on their way the next day.

The crew returned occasionally for more fresh crab. (not sure if they ever paid!)

So who's going to own up?

NutLoose
28th Apr 2010, 16:26
I'm all for giving the Navy crabs, that seems a good plan..... :p

JYKelly
28th Apr 2010, 20:00
:= No, No, No! It's Fly Navy, Sail Army, Eat Crab.......as any fule no

Strobin Purple
28th Apr 2010, 21:08
Beesands aint what it used to be after Cyril sold the Cricket Inn.

IIRC a German SAR cab shut down at the old caravan site about 5 yrs ago after running out of gas grobblin' in <1000m vis en route to St Mawgan.

Vitesse
29th Apr 2010, 06:51
Cyril and Maggie still live locally, but the pub is very different now. The brewery have just built a big dining area extension.

Beesands is a strange village. If the name comes up in casual conversation it's almost uncanny the coincidental links you get.

Why the green attracts the helicopters I don't know (apart from being big, flat and grassed). Is there a list of emergency landing places? Shortly after the Lynx I mentioned, a flight of 3 machines set down in foggy conditions.

I knew there was potential in a post that mentioned crabs, BTW!

Still haven't found the original crab culprit though!