PDA

View Full Version : PowerPoint - The Real Enemy in the War on Terror

Melchett01
28th Apr 2010, 05:40
This New York Times article probably just about sums up military operations in the early 21st Century, and is certainly an accurate reflection of my job here in the sandpit. So glad I spent all that time going through training when I could have just done my ECDL in order to become operational.

Please take the time and effort to resize any pictures you post on PPRuNe, as it is a total PITA for the majority of people to have to scroll across several times back and forth to be able to read the thread. It is also a PITA for us to have to do it for you - as I have here - to make the thread usable!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/Wholigan/091203-engel-big-9a1.jpg

"WASHINGTON — Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal, the leader of American and NATO forces in Afghanistan, was shown a PowerPoint slide in Kabul last summer that was meant to portray the complexity of American military strategy, but looked more like a bowl of spaghetti. “When we understand that slide, we’ll have won the war,” General McChrystal dryly remarked, one of his advisers recalled, as the room erupted in laughter.

The slide has since bounced around the Internet as an example of a military tool that has spun out of control. Like an insurgency, PowerPoint has crept into the daily lives of military commanders and reached the level of near obsession. The amount of time expended on PowerPoint, the Microsoft presentation program of computer-generated charts, graphs and bullet points, has made it a running joke in the Pentagon and in Iraq and Afghanistan.

“PowerPoint makes us stupid,” Gen. James N. Mattis of the Marine Corps, the Joint Forces commander, said this month at a military conference in North Carolina. (He spoke without PowerPoint.) Brig. Gen. H. R. McMaster, who banned PowerPoint presentations when he led the successful effort to secure the northern Iraqi city of Tal Afar in 2005, followed up at the same conference by likening PowerPoint to an internal threat.

“It’s dangerous because it can create the illusion of understanding and the illusion of control,” General McMaster said in a telephone interview afterward. “Some problems in the world are not bullet-izable.”

In General McMaster’s view, PowerPoint’s worst offense is not a chart like the spaghetti graphic, which was first uncovered by NBC’s Richard Engel, but rigid lists of bullet points (in, say, a presentation on a conflict’s causes) that take no account of interconnected political, economic and ethnic forces. “If you divorce war from all of that, it becomes a targeting exercise,” General McMaster said.

Commanders say that behind all the PowerPoint jokes are serious concerns that the program stifles discussion, critical thinking and thoughtful decision-making. Not least, it ties up junior officers — referred to as PowerPoint Rangers — in the daily preparation of slides, be it for a Joint Staff meeting in Washington or for a platoon leader’s pre-mission combat briefing in a remote pocket of Afghanistan.

Last year when a military Web site, Company Command, asked an Army platoon leader in Iraq, Lt. Sam Nuxoll, how he spent most of his time, he responded, “Making PowerPoint slides.” When pressed, he said he was serious.

“I have to make a storyboard complete with digital pictures, diagrams and text summaries on just about anything that happens,” Lieutenant Nuxoll told the Web site. “Conduct a key leader engagement? Make a storyboard. Award a microgrant? Make a storyboard.”

Despite such tales, “death by PowerPoint,” the phrase used to described the numbing sensation that accompanies a 30-slide briefing, seems here to stay. The program, which first went on sale in 1987 and was acquired by Microsoft soon afterward, is deeply embedded in a military culture that has come to rely on PowerPoint’s hierarchical ordering of a confused world.

“There’s a lot of PowerPoint backlash, but I don’t see it going away anytime soon,” said Capt. Crispin Burke, an Army operations officer at Fort Drum, N.Y., who under the name Starbuck wrote an essay about PowerPoint on the Web site Small Wars Journal that cited Lieutenant Nuxoll’s comment.

In a daytime telephone conversation, he estimated that he spent an hour each day making PowerPoint slides. In an initial e-mail message responding to the request for an interview, he wrote, “I would be free tonight, but unfortunately, I work kind of late (sadly enough, making PPT slides).”

Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates reviews printed-out PowerPoint slides at his morning staff meeting, although he insists on getting them the night before so he can read ahead and cut back the briefing time.

Gen. David H. Petraeus, who oversees the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and says that sitting through some PowerPoint briefings is “just agony,” nonetheless likes the program for the display of maps and statistics showing trends. He has also conducted more than a few PowerPoint presentations himself.

General McChrystal gets two PowerPoint briefings in Kabul per day, plus three more during the week. General Mattis, despite his dim view of the program, said a third of his briefings are by PowerPoint.

Richard C. Holbrooke, the Obama administration’s special representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan, was given PowerPoint briefings during a trip to Afghanistan last summer at each of three stops — Kandahar, Mazar-i-Sharif and Bagram Air Base. At a fourth stop, Herat, the Italian forces there not only provided Mr. Holbrooke with a PowerPoint briefing, but accompanied it with swelling orchestral music.

President Obama was shown PowerPoint slides, mostly maps and charts, in the White House Situation Room during the Afghan strategy review last fall.

Commanders say that the slides impart less information than a five-page paper can hold, and that they relieve the briefer of the need to polish writing to convey an analytic, persuasive point. Imagine lawyers presenting arguments before the Supreme Court in slides instead of legal briefs.

Captain Burke’s essay in the Small Wars Journal also cited a widely read attack on PowerPoint in Armed Forces Journal last summer by Thomas X. Hammes, a retired Marine colonel, whose title, “Dumb-Dumb Bullets,” underscored criticism of fuzzy bullet points; “accelerate the introduction of new weapons,” for instance, does not actually say who should do so.

No one is suggesting that PowerPoint is to blame for mistakes in the current wars, but the program did become notorious during the prelude to the invasion of Iraq. As recounted in the book “Fiasco” by Thomas E. Ricks (Penguin Press, 2006), Lt. Gen. David D. McKiernan, who led the allied ground forces in the 2003 invasion of Iraq, grew frustrated when he could not get Gen. Tommy R. Franks, the commander at the time of American forces in the Persian Gulf region, to issue orders that stated explicitly how he wanted the invasion conducted, and why. Instead, General Franks just passed on to General McKiernan the vague PowerPoint slides that he had already shown to Donald H. Rumsfeld, the defense secretary at the time.

Senior officers say the program does come in handy when the goal is not imparting information, as in briefings for reporters.

The news media sessions often last 25 minutes, with 5 minutes left at the end for questions from anyone still awake. Those types of PowerPoint presentations, Dr. Hammes said, are known as “hypnotizing chickens.” "

BEagle
28th Apr 2010, 06:50
It's not PowerPoint per se, it's the poor use of it by many!

Such people as those who produced that daft bowl of spaghetti would produce equally crap viewfoils or white board briefs!

Many people who view PowerPoint presentations can't be arsed to take notes - they demand a print-out or copy of the brief. So it's not just the presenter, it's the idle audience who are often to blame.

Use it like an electronic version of the viewfoil presentations of old and it's fine; use too many gimmicky graphic tools, complex diagrams and too many words and it can indeed be dreadful!

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
28th Apr 2010, 06:59
Such people as those who produced that daft bowl of spaghetti would produce equally crap viewfoils or white board briefs!

They do; and are refining it to an art-form.

Pontius Navigator
28th Apr 2010, 07:02
It looks like the wiring diagram of someone whose brain is
as big as a planet or who thinks it is.

Pontius Navigator
28th Apr 2010, 07:08
The amount of time expended on PowerPoint, the Microsoft presentation program of computer-generated charts, graphs and bullet
points, has made it a running joke in the Pentagon and in Iraq and
Afghanistan

Rule of thumb I use in preparation of a graphic:

I will spend more time producing a presentation if:

a. The person being briefed is a VIP and the presentation is important (to me AND to him)
b. If it is a large audience where the large time-cost (to me) is but a small cost to them.
c. If the presentation will be used more than once.

If it is a small, one-off, presentation to a small group I might make do with a slide or 2. I also try for one slide per minute
of talk AND don't read out the slide.

That slide was certainly from chickens.

bobward
28th Apr 2010, 12:12
... if this was slide 22,
1 How many more were there?
2 What were No's 1 to 21 like?

Maybe it should be entered for this year's Turner Prize at Tate Modern?:yuk:

tucumseh
28th Apr 2010, 13:05
I reckon Beagle's right - it's a people thing. Powerpoint is often just another tool for use by tools who want everyone to know they've got bigger toolboxes.

ORAC
28th Apr 2010, 13:50
Scott McNealy of Sun Microsystems famously declared in 1997:

"We had 12.9 gigabytes of PowerPoint slides on our network. And I thought, 'What a huge waste of corporate productivity.' So we banned it. And we've had three unbelievable record-breaking fiscal quarters since we banned PowerPoint. Now, I would argue that every company in the world, if it would just ban PowerPoint, would see their earnings skyrocket. Employees would stand around going, 'What do I do? Guess I've got to go to work."

larssnowpharter
28th Apr 2010, 17:14
It's not PowerPoint per se, it's the poor use of it by many!

Totally agree!

There used to be (maybe still there) a great quote re Power Point:

Power Point makes slides; it does not make presentations

You could find that quote on a website: Microsoft Corporation (http://www.microsoft.com)

BEagle
28th Apr 2010, 17:28
Indeed - it's the gunner, not the gun!

alf5071h
28th Apr 2010, 18:10
In Defense of PowerPoint. (http://jnd.org/dn.mss/in_defense_of_powerpoint.html)

Also, perhaps some relates issues here -
US/UK Mental Models of Planning: The Relationship between Plan Detail and Plan Quality. (www.ara.com/KleinDiv/documents/RasmussenSieckSmart_2008.pdf)

“UK planners appear to think of logic as an important, positive influence on plan quality,
… the US planners may not consider the concept of logic as an influence at all.”

“ In the case of action specification - the US planners think of the detailed specification of actions as a positive influence on plan quality,
… the UK planners think of it as a negative influence”.

“UK military histories may have lead to different potential to adopt an agile and adaptive mindset today. British military history reveals
a long-standing tradition for emphasizing adaptation.
In contrast, US Army culture currently still places too much value on process.”

“… the US and UK historically have developed mindsets that are more (the UK) and less (the US) ready to adopt …”

“The US uses PowerPoint to capture and brief plans whereas the UK tends to use Word documents. This makes for an important
difference in the work processes between the two nations.
… the US planners expressed strong opposition to using Word, and the UK planners expressed the opposite sentiment."

Pontius Navigator
28th Apr 2010, 19:23
Personally I prefer WordPerfect. Easier to use and more display area for the document.:}

HUMS
29th Apr 2010, 12:23
Tch, anyone with any sense of style would be using Keynote anyway... :p

Capetonian
29th Apr 2010, 13:08
I wrote this about Powerpoint a couple of years ago for an in-house magazine.

I don’t hate Bill Gates. I really have no reason to do so. I’ve never met the man, and I use his products daily, as do most of us. I hear people complaining that Microsoft products are ‘crap’ and yet they seem to work and no other company has successfully marketed a better product to replace them.

Here’s my gripe though. I am convinced that Microsoft PowerPoint must be responsible globally for more mind-numbingly boring and pointless presentations of bull**** and stating the glaringly obvious than any other medium on earth.

In the good old days, salespeople, managers, team leaders, and trainers would stand in front of an audience, deliver their spiel, sometimes back it up with a few overheads, and then go back to the real world of football pools, private email, drinking tea, or even looking out of the window, all of which activities were far more productive than producing megabytes of PowerPoint presentations.

In the brave new world of Powerpoint, amateurishly scrawled overheads have been replaced by their electronic equivalent, complete with transitional fades, fancy bullet points, electronic applause, and text layouts in multiple vomit inducing colours. These tools, appropriately used, allow a five minute briefing to be stretched into a whole day of torture for all concerned. First of all though, don’t forget that days of work go into preparing the presentation, downloading silly little cartoon clips from the Internet, and most importantly, writing and rewriting statements such as :

“Our customer's will stay with us if we make them feel important”. (This is earth shattering stuff.)
“ We must look after our customers’ needs “. (Thanks for telling me.)
“ Our customer’s are important “ (The greengrocer’s apostrophes are intentional!)

Then colleague A will go to colleague B in the next office with a print out, or more likely, email a copy, so that ‘B’ can see what a great job ‘A’ has done. ‘B’ will then email ‘A’ along the lines of :

“ “ Important “ does not convey the right shade of meaning. How about “ Our customer’s will stay with us if we make them feel like Number One. “ “.

Then ‘A’ will find some objection to that, and so it goes on. And on. Ad infinitum. Wasting time and resources. When nobody really gives a toss how it’s worded, as it really doesn’t even need to be said at all.

Eventually the presentation is put together, perhaps 60 or 70 slides, all making the same banal points in various different ways. Graphs will be thrown in too, along with the usual business speak jargon. The audience troop in, the presenter stands with his back to the audience and reads the text of the slides in a monotone, whilst members of the audience groan inwardly or fall asleep, in many cases the only points of interest being the spelling and grammatical mistakes which creep in, or the ability to play ‘bull**** bingo’ as the business buzzwords pop up with monotonous regularity.

Some of the words which I should like to see banned from PowerPoint presentations, because without them this scourge of modern business would cease to exist, are :
Model (as in ‘business model’), usability, deliverables, quantifiable, measurable, grow (as in ‘to grow our business’) , objectives, methodology. Anyone caught using them in presentatons in my department will be mocked mercilessly until they resign.

Lukeafb1
29th Apr 2010, 13:28
Our Monthly Meetings regularly have in excess of 250 slides to cover an 8 hour session. A large percentage of said slides have upwards of 15 to 18 lines of nothing except text. Not even rainbow colored, just black on white!

I usually try to be in Nigeria, Angola or ANYWHERE on the last Thursday of every month!! :uhoh::uhoh:

clunckdriver
29th Apr 2010, 13:47
I am so glad to see this thread, I was beging to think I was the only one that simply walks out of the room when someone starts a Powerpoint presentation, I try to make my exit as noisy and obvious as it can be , this I find shuts up aircraft brokers, self important RMC grads and politicians far faster than any others Ive tried, these have included farting out loud, turning the power of in the building or getting our HR girl to go into labour, if a presenter cant make their point without these props then they simply dont know the subject!

aw ditor
29th Apr 2010, 14:05
Get a Mac!

Timelord
29th Apr 2010, 14:39
As with so many things, Mr Haddon-Cave saw through it:

17:24 "The use of PowerPoint in the MOD is endemic. PowerPoint can, however, be dangerous, mesmerising and lead to sloppy (or nil) thinking"

28.2 "The ubiquitous use of PowerPoint in MOD should be discouraged. it can lead the audience to watch rather than think"

sisemen
29th Apr 2010, 16:08
THE most annoying thing about quoting power point is the fact that on PPRuNe the bloody text has to be constantly moved from left to right across the screen.

I'm not sure who I am most annoyed with - Microsoft, the US Army, or the original poster for not sizing his graphics correctly. Perhaps I might nuke the lot of 'em.

Toddington Ted
29th Apr 2010, 21:34
"This is my PowerPoint. There are many like it but this one is mine....etc" You must know this one!

Wholigan
30th Apr 2010, 06:30
sisemen - fixed especially for you. ;)

sidewayspeak
30th Apr 2010, 09:43
I am one of those "Powerpoint Rangers", in an office full of other PPR, serving in HQ in Afghanistan for 6 months. Never a more accurate article - we spend every day putting slides together, absolutely tedious and dull. Most of our work is either unused, or flicked up on screen for seconds. Truely appalling waste of resources, but if you are not making slides then you're not working.

The only amusing angle is costing our time and working out how much each slide/bullet costs. Not a bad rate of pay somedays - room full of SO2s working on a handful of slides...

When my grandchildren ask me 'what did you do in the war', it will be too embarrassing to admit the truth... I'll just say I was a cook, that way at least I did something worthwhile. :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Melchett01
30th Apr 2010, 15:21
Ahhh sideways, we could be fellow PPRs. Although I have taken a vow to try and produce the absolute minimum number of PPoints possible on this tour. So far I have got it down to 1 in the last 2 months. Not a bad effort all things considered. Especially as the motto of my HQ seems to be "If in doubt, make a PPoint".

And apologies for getting the size of the graphics wrong, I couldn't even get the graphic to show up for the first half hour of trying. I am working here honest - I just chose to spend the time I should be making PPoints doing something more constructive.

Capt Pit Bull
30th Apr 2010, 15:48
Powerpoint is a tool. Nothing more, nothing less.

(As it happens, I think its a buggy piece of junk, but that is nothing much to do with this thread.)

Learning how to select and use Visual Aids is a key skill for instructional or briefing technique. But the idea that powerpoint is 'automatically bad' is as stupid as automatically using it for everything.

You can provide someone with graphics tools, that doesn't make them an artist. You can provide them with presentation software, that doesn't make them an effective presenter either.

In a way this thread is a microcosm of a problem permeating society, namely that undue importance is attached to that which is easy to quantify.

Jeep
30th Apr 2010, 15:55
And you thought it was just your generation that uses it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j2pJDReQnk

D O Guerrero
30th Apr 2010, 18:01
This didn't just happen - its been going on for at least 15 years!
As soon as I see any slide featuring that man in the glasses shrugging his shoulders, the duck hitting a computer with a mallet (wtf?) or as soon as any presenter (usually a Chief) spends 10 minutes wiring up the speakers so he can demonstrate the .wav file he found of a gun going off, I immediately start hoping that I can go into a coma for the next hour. Why are you people wasting my life like this?! Die!!

MightyGem
2nd May 2010, 16:46
Tch, anyone with any sense of style would be using Keynote anyway
But, of course. :ok: :ok:

Dan Winterland
3rd May 2010, 02:14
Just put the word 'Synergy' in your PP presentation, the whole room will be asleep in seconds. Guarenteed.

From Hong Kong's Sunday Morning Post, 2 May.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb73/dbchippy/powerpoint.jpg